Hadross Painting [Picture Heavy] - Looking for tips

Thread: Hadross Painting [Picture Heavy] - Looking for tips

Default Hadross Painting [Picture Heavy] - Looking for tips

Hey all,

Just started painting my Hadross and I've got a few of the Servidans nearing completion. I'm trying to decide whether I should give them a gloss finish to make them look wet (and trying to decide what the best method for that would be.) Looking for tips, feedback, or just comments!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

You know what I use its what they call a semi gloss it gives a wet look but not overpowering it's by testers and again It's called semi gloss.

finally some Hadross (I'm still waiting for the post for mine)

I wouldn't gloss them all, maybe just parts, like the tentacles (at the 'foot')

2 things I'd recommend doing with them:
    - another layer of the ochre color. They usually don't cover well on first (few) layer(s). Right now they seem patchy.
    - I'd think about doing a wash on them. Either with a darker color on each section, or a dark-brown one on the whole. Or even a dip the army-painter way. It gives instant shading without too much hassle and for gaming minis the result looks quite good.

+1: the bases have quite a deep recess, maybe it's worth filling it up with some water-effect (for example the vallejo one) after they are painted. (it also has the added effect of making the connection to the base more secure)

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    finally some Hadross (I'm still waiting for the post for mine)

I wouldn't gloss them all, maybe just parts, like the tentacles (at the 'foot')

2 things I'd recommend doing with them:
    - another layer of the ochre color. They usually don't cover well on first (few) layer(s). Right now they seem patchy.
    - I'd think about doing a wash on them. Either with a darker color on each section, or a dark-brown one on the whole. Or even a dip the army-painter way. It gives instant shading without too much hassle and for gaming minis the result looks quite good.

+1: the bases have quite a deep recess, maybe it's worth filling it up with some water-effect (for example the vallejo one) after they are painted. (it also has the added effect of making the connection to the base more secure)

I definitely need to touch up the orange, the fact that you're calling it ochre is sign enough. It's actually quite a bright orange. I washed them all with a blue ink and I've been touching up the bright colors to bring them back to full brightness while keeping the recesses darker.

It's a bit hard to tell with the white basecoat, but the bases are actually shaped like under-water sand ripples so filling in the bases with water effects was absolutely part of the plan!

UPDATE!

Touched up the rest of the Servidans and painted a sharkbro (What are they called again?) Seriously regretting not cleaning the mold lines on sharkbro, but I'll be doing that for his compatriots.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Those pictures are a LOT better than the first ones mate. The colours are very eye catching and I love the sharks skin.
    If you wanted to improve the photo further still, I would suggest a less cluttered background so that we can focus solely on the models. As it will define the overall shape of the miniature a little more. Loving where you are going with these btw! cant wait to see where you go with the Taxi Crabs!

Very nice and colourful, how did you do the bases?

Quote Originally Posted by beef5570 View Post
    Very nice and colourful, how did you do the bases?
    I used Green Stuff and sculpted little sand ripples across the bottom, also got some beta fish tank rocks. The plan is to fill in the base with Valejo water effects once the model is finished, so they'll all look like they're in ankle-deep water.

NECRO THREAD!

It's been a while, but my LGS is having a little WoK campaign. I finially finished up all of my Sevridan Gutters, figured I should post it.

Name:  OEBm16r.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  103.5 KB

Not yet, although i suppose I could at the skirmish level. Maybe I'll do that this week and throw people for a loop.