Storage solution - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storage solution

I was one of the folks who posted in the BGG storage thread linked earlier (not OP though); I have two of the 550 card boxes and they fit everything just fine (too much space, even). I really like the idea of the foamcore insert more because there's so much extra space and the cards tend to slide down once I pull something out, and that's something I plan to do at some point.

Hi, I had time for just three quick pics of how my sleeved cards fit in the normal box (it's true, no 5/6 player expansion can fit in this layout, but the game comes for 4 players normally).

Obviously only the thin paper enemy lanes and items+troops tiles can fit in the box, additional tiles or cardboard ones, all playing mats and decks or miniatures, are not contemplated. The core game, anyway, is here.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I sleeved the cards, and can fit the original cards + foil items in the slots for items (6 cards work, even sleeved, but I wouldn't put more in there).
    On the other side, I managed to fit all the original troops (sans foils), the Xenosathem and the different waves (including the four extra monster cards per wave, but without bosses). All bosses (9 in total, with Onslaught) I kept in the slot to the very edge, together with the bases (tight squeeze).

The foil troops and the extra Wave 2 and Wave 3 troops (Field Commander etc.) I keep in a deck box, together with the foldable player lanes and the playmat in a cloth bag I keep the game in (for ease of carrying with you), which works, even if it is not the most efficient solution.

Got to try this, need a travel solution...

I just sleeved the cards, removed the insert entirely, and put everything into deck boxes sorted by category. Everything including the 5-6 player boards fits in the original box now.

Hopefully someone like BT comes up with a good divider set once the second set comes out.

I'm actually waiting for my 3D printer to print card containers and remove the nice but sadly not functional insert (as it did not consider all the components and the changes done afterwards).

Those containers will meet the following objectives:
    1. Hold the cards in their different categories, types and whatever;
    2. will be stackable to allow optimum storage (I have every single expansion and add-on so that is a whole LOT of cards); and
    3. I can just pull out and have the setup done in less than 3 minutes with minimal interaction (other than the shuffling where necessary).

--- Added in edit 2015-06-01 @ 15:00
    That way, all the cards will be easily identifiable and no need for seperators
    ---

The moment I have the CAD done, I'll post it so that you can all comment on the idea.

It is the same principle that I want to apply with Firefly: The boardgame. Great game but a $h17 load of cards and takes a lot of room on the table (small play tables, avoid). I want to optimize that also...

So rather than spending time making a new holder, I just modified the original and it works great for me. I cut out the those bins on the bottom and cut the sides so the container sits in the box with room on top for the cardboard and mat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I agree about the solution to shrink the height of the insert. The problem is, if you have expansions AND you sleeved them, the cards won't fit without squeezing them to the risk of dancing some of them or the gorgeous Xenoshyft themed sleeves (that are rather thick by the way).

That is why I have to go with a totally different solution. And it bites because I hate throwing components of a game...

Hopefully, Dreadmire will have a more inclusive insert...

Last edited by DevKat; 06-10-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: to remove the weird code that the iPhone dropped

I just ended up bagging the stuff.
    It's a pity though.

It is. I find it sad to mod the insert or remove it completely as it is something that we supported after all.

I am certain though that this experience will be taken into consideration for the next game by CMON and they will make a better insert.

Hi!

I decided to use different color sleeves, so organization is more smooth. I use yellow, orange and red for waves 1, 2 and 3, blue for item stacks, white for divisions and black for everything else.

I love this idea. Makes it that much more easier to identify the cards.

That could be a suggestion to CMON for the next XenoShyft game? Instead of having only wave 1, 2, 3 and 1x NortTec style of sleeves, there could be a different NorTec style (pattern, color or other) for each card types (division, troop, equipment, expansion equipment, ...) Although this would be much more expensive to produce for CMON so a more expensive add-on for us I suspect...

Any opinion on this CMON? (sorry, should I name someone specifically at CMON or is this a satisfactory way of addressing you? I do not want to insult or whatever...)

Does anyone have a link or source for cutting foam core inserts specifically for Xenoshyft?

Quote Originally Posted by DevKat View Post

Instead of having only wave 1, 2, 3 and 1x NortTec style of sleeves, there could be a different NorTec style (pattern, color or other) for each card types (division, troop, equipment, expansion equipment, ...)
    The problem with that would be, that you could identify what cards come next from your deck and i think that goes against the game mechanics!
    So i believe it's unlikely they make different sleeves for cards that are suppossed to have identical backs

Quote Originally Posted by Rabak View Post
    The problem with that would be, that you could identify what cards come next from your deck and i think that goes against the game mechanics!
    True... You do have a good point that equipment, trooper and Xenosathem are mixed in the deck... I found the idea so interesting that I did not think about the gameplay... :/

Ah well... It was worth a try... ;P

Quote Originally Posted by kraise View Post
    Does anyone have a link or source for cutting foam core inserts specifically for Xenoshyft?
    Hey Kraise, check out the Xenoshyft Onslaught forums on bgg. The general section has a lot of people with insert designs.
    Here's the link:
    https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/...laught/general

Default Storage

I am having ok success with the insert for now but I plan on creating my own soon. Hopefully I can manage to make something based off what is here. Thanks!

I like the idea what one person had of just grabbing a couple of 500 card boxes, and throwing them in the original box. Grab some dividers, and away you go!

I used deck boxes for the xenosathem, troops, and waves. I put all items and expansions in 9 pocket card sheets. You can easily fit 5 item cards in one pocket. Also makes it quick to find which item you need.