How do i paint intestines and organs realistically??

Thread: How do i paint intestines and organs realistically??

Default How do i paint intestines and organs realistically??

In the back of the Dark Eldar haemonculus is a small hole where you can see what i can only assume are his internal intestines and while it will mostly be covered by a metal plate, it would still be fun paint those so they look real.
    The larger piece in there is what i can only assume is some sort or organ maybe his heart, so i thought i might have to paint it in a purplish color or something like that.
    The intestines perhaps some skin color, finished off with a red glaze or something i´m not entirely sure.

So any advice would be appreciated on how to make the different organs look realistically.

You probably wouldn't want to replicate real intestines - they're kind of greyish and bloodstained.

I would suggest that you paint your intestines in a complement to the skin colour, so that they stick out.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

Even when they are still working and have blood pumping through them?
    From what i gather from Dark Eldar fluff the Haemonculus organs are still working perfectly he has just placed them elsewhere in the body.

You would get a red-grey , yes, if the capillaries are working right. But it is so heavily vascularized, you'd likely get a blob of red.

If that's the effect you are looking for, then you're on the right track.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

The effects i am looking for is basically if we could see inside our body and see our organs working.
    if this GIF is a correct representation of that
    http://media.giphy.com/media/jOkw6XC9QghBC/giphy.gif

I think may need to start by using a scab red (using vallejo game color) go up to a bonewhite for highlight and then either a gory red or bloody red to paint veins alongside the heart.
    An extra question on the top of the heamonculus head it seems as if he has roved some of his skin to show of his skull.

How do i make illusion of the skull being freshly pealed i could imagine painting the skull the usual way and then perhaps giving it some varnish and a slight gory red glaze where skin and bone meet.
    Last edited by Erikjust; 04-15-2015 at 12:35 AM.

How much of the model's "innards" are actually showing? If you are going for a more life-like realism,.. I suggest getting a book on anatomy and/or human physiology. Small intestines tend to be a bit yellow-orange,.. the large intestine much more pink-fuschia-ish,.. the liver,.. a bit more on the brown-grey side,.. lungs are actually a beige-tan color (unless you're a smoker),.. kidneys are a dark red-brown,..

or go own to your local butcher shop and look at all the varieties of meat colors.

Hope this helped.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Blog Entries

Google Intestinal Surgery for images:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang