Urthmover's WIP

Thread: Urthmover's WIP

Default Urthmover's WIP

So, I've randomly decided to get into miniature sculpting. I don't play any miniature games, and this purely came out of my want for nice looking cheap D&D pieces for a combat grid. Like I said, first attempt, so please let me know what you see that could be better, different, or altogether removed from something like this. I really enjoy creating these, and would love to become better. Any advice is very helpful. Sorry for the picture quality, my phone takes meh pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Urthmover; 04-27-2015 at 03:30 AM.

Looks like I posted that wrong, visible now?

I've not seen much like this before, very distinctive. I'm no expert on sculpting but it looks fun to paint.

I'm gonna mail it to my buddy who has played Warhammer 40K and Fantasy for a long time to paint. Interested to hear how it turns out, will definitely post pics.

Im glad I found your wip, its rare I go and look for new ones but today I am glad I did. I think what you made is quite neat. What did you make him out of? What are your thoughts on stuff to improve on. What would you call this guy? What do you want to do next? From my observation he looks like a ghoul or zombie. I really like the bone showing in the leg, the tattered kilt and the eye in the face is really well done. I am no expert and my stuff isn't that great so when I say this I say it for myself too, clean some of it up. Like the foot looks a little blocky. Overall though I love seeing new sculptors and old sculptor and want to learn all I can from them. Keep up the great work and can't wait to see what is next.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Hey, thanks for checking it out and for the tips. I definitely need to do some serious cleanup on this guy, just ordered my needle files. I was going for a Zombie Lord kinda thing, thinking about giving him a helmet and maybe some sort of weapon augmented left arm. I made this out of paperclips and magic sculpt. Definitely leaves a lot to be desired. I need to make a better set of tools, as my current stuff doesn't get that fine detail all that well. The next thing I'm doing is a 72mm statuette as part of a pantheon I'm building for an upcoming campaign. This zombie was intended to be a larger hp zombie leader for a current campaign, with a squad of regular zombies at his bidding. Probably gonna base him with a tombstone and some skulls. I'll post more tonight with some progress pics of the statuette.

Can't wait to see it man. Sounds really awesome. Paperclips and welders putty are what I use for starting then I start bulking up with either GS, milliput, or sculpy clay. I have a hard time with sculpy because it cracks and crumbles pretty easily. But we use what we can right in the end though I usually fall back to my clay.
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

I just bought some 20ga copper wire, and what a difference it makes for doing the armature! It's stiff enough to glob putty onto, but flexible enough to allow for some really dynamic posing. I really find that the paperclips are both too stiff and break too easily with repeated bending. Also, doing a braided wire spine is downright impossible. I like the idea of the welder's putty to firm it up, are you using J B Weld?

That's the stuff. It hardens in like 5 minutes s9 your good to go. It gets every where though. Your right about the paper clips too. But we work with what we got.
    ." -Me-

So tonight, and the night before, I did some work on the statuette. The first three are the first phase of the statuette. Going with a "grave lord of worms" for a theme for this thing. Sculpted the rough face, and the real barebones armature. The next three are further work on the "zombie lord" figure, removed the left arm and started over. A lot happier with the way this iteration turned out. Continuing for a few more hours tonight after cure sets!

Very very nice sir. I like the spine and that arm looks better IMO too.
    ." -Me-

Small update on the "grave lord of worms" statuette. Rougher anatomy being layered on, just playing around with the musculature for practice. Got a really nice bullet shaped silicon shaper the other day and it really makes a difference!