Priming-need help

Thread: Priming-need help

Default Priming-need help

My Vallejo Model Air primer seems to be peeling off of my resin minis. It's not leaving a smooth finish and when touched it flakes and begins to peel away. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Having to strip three Scibor minis I got cause the primer peels off. Thanks in advance.

I can only think of a couple of things:
    Have you previously washed your resin minis with water and soap before priming? If not the grease/oil that is used for unmolding the minis can cause the paint to shrink or peel off.
    Have you shacked the primer prior to applying? If the mix of the primer is not even, can cause weird effects...
    Is the primer new? If its old enough maybe it's not working well..

Hope this will be helpfull ^^
    Last edited by Maenas; 04-27-2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: further explanations
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Spray Primers don't do well in very dry conditions. I have found if the humidity is less than 40%, then the primer starts to dry before it hits the model. This causes the flakiness and peeling. Either get closer to the model so the primer doesn't dry as fast, or prime in a more controlled environment.

Good luck!

I've found that sometimes even soap and water don't clean resin well enough for primer. Sometimes gentle scrubbing with toothpaste is the better solution.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

And it leaves your model minty fresh!!!
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

If the issue is indeed excess release agent, fill a small plastic container with Mean Green and soak your mini over night, then scrub with an old toothbrush. Works like a charm. Will strip paint with ease after an overnight soak, too. $5 a gallon at the dollar store. Also, best primer I've ever used is Walmart flat white spray paint. 96 cents a can
    Attached Images Attached Images