Multiplayer Resets If You Leave App

Thread: Multiplayer Resets If You Leave App

Default Multiplayer Resets If You Leave App

Playing on iPad, Model MD510C/A

Tried out the multiplayer this morning and if I closed Xeno and walked away for a few minutes, and then later came back to the app, it would reset Xenoshyft to the intro video and the game would be lost.

I did a test where I switched out and then came right back (closed xeno, opened twitter, and then immediately came back to the app), and it was fine, but I think this was because I was so quick. Seems like any normal break away from the game will reset it, which for a game as long as this, is something that should be looked at. This is looking like a quality app, we want people to be able to play, and walk away when life calls, and then come back to it. Especially if you have 4 people playing.

I heard from my friend that the game also resets in solo play, if you switch apps part way through.

I'm currently playing the app on an iPad Air. Everything looked and ran great with no crashes, but as Rodney mentioned the game basically resets if you leave the app for more than few seconds (solo or multiplayer). I think it's hugely important to the functionality of the app to allow you to step away for several minutes, or minimize the app and come back to it. XenoShyft is also a fairly long and involved game, so I'd really like to see options for asynchronous play. This may very well already be in the works for a future version, but I wanted to mention it as I think it's probably one of the most important features for a portable device.

Normally I would agree with the async requirement for a long playing conversion of a TTG to an App (Carcassonne is an excellent example), but Xeno requires a lot of player communication and assist, especially on waves 2 and 3. How would that work with an async game?

Quote Originally Posted by whincks View Post
    Normally I would agree with the async requirement for a long playing conversion of a TTG to an App (Carcassonne is an excellent example), but Xeno requires a lot of player communication and assist, especially on waves 2 and 3. How would that work with an async game?
    Not letting players leave and come back will be seen as a design flaw, not a feature. This is my subjective opinion, but I'm fairly confident I'm right, since every successful board game app has this feature. App players crave convenience.

I agree with you Whincks, the challenge of the game will amplify if a player is not there to share their cards, but it's my belief that people simply won't play multiplayer at all, if each time they want to play, they have to stay for 1.5 hours in one sitting (or more....). Have your first game of this, where you're super invested in the gameplay, and you get an hour in and then HAVE to leave for some reason outside of your control and then not only do you not get to be a part of the finale, but all of the other players get penalized when you leave. It is my opinion that this negative experience will kill peoples interest in playing this game multiplayer ever again.

I think there are ways that you could let people drop out (and come back later) and still retain the collaborative aspect. A setting for the game could be to allow an absent player's cards be available to the active player, for example.

I agree with you 100% Rodney. And I would not buy it as a result either. I'm just not sure how to handle the issue. It is a 'cooperative' game and all of the balance is built upouun that fact. I just want the designers to see this conversation and factor it into their decision making. I'm assuming that have contemplated this in advance of this project, but I sure can't see a solution that works.

Coming back this thread now a few days later, I can honestly tell you that because of this issue I have yet to even attempt another game since my first one with Rodney. I really would love to help play and bug test the app, but it's basically impossible for my schedule to allow me to sit down to anything for over an hour without interruption.

Whincks, I know what you're saying about the difficulty of making a game like this async due to all the required interaction, but I think it can be done to some extent. Even just setting up the Acquire and Deployment phases as asynchronous (as they are simultaneous even in the real game) would allow players to gear up and get everything ready for the next Combat phase on their own time. Once they were all done, you could click "Ready" and then alert all the game members to come back for the upcoming Combat phase (maybe even include a "propose time" option). Once all players were present, you could roll through the Combat phase in a synchronous session.

Sure, it's not perfect but at least having the option would make this game go from completely unplayable for someone like me, to something I could play and enjoy over a few days. As Rodney mentioned, async game play is pretty much a standard in iOS gaming at this point, so I'm sure many others would feel the same way.

I couldn't agree more that async turn based is the standard and the only real working model. The model that you suggest above still would be too awkward to really work I think. I'd play a few times then get sick of the hassle and switch to a different async game, there are too many choices out there for people to deal with a poor implementation. Sadly, I'm afraid that the game mechanics between the TT and the app will need to genuinely change for this to really work. Think about it, even the purchasing and deployment phases require interactions from the various players as you add equip to another players Troop, reduce the cost of an Item, use an ability to heal a troop. Agree to play a Troop in another person's lane...etc.... I love me a good Tower defense app.... I just don't think the game will adapt well from TT.

Now... a single player XenoShyft TD game that looses the cards, but brings in all of the imagery, troops, story, etc.... that could be a blast. Or a multi-player that is designed for asyn from the ground up. But it won't be the same game (but done properly to enable good async play, I would be ok with that). Unfortunately... that requires reengineering the game which I'm guessing is not in the app designers scope of work.

Yes gentlemen, as it is you will be disconnected if you leave the game for more than 30 secs.

This discussion you all are having we had a while ago when development of the app started of course.

We leaned towards Whincks view: That Xenoshyft in particular does not fit the asynchronous turn-based solution, so often used in boardgame app conversions, because it does not have a "self-contained turn" and every single phase of the game can have some sort of synchronous interaction between the players.

To implement asynchronous turn-based play the game would have to be "adapted" or the gameplay itself would have to be "less than perfect", we chose the synchronous-only route mostly because it is the only way to convey the table-top version's gameplay perfectly, even though it will require a considerable time commitment from players wishing to play over the network.

That being said even the realtime implementation can be improved – mainly by allowing players to reconnect and passing control of a disconnected division, not destroying it – but these improvements will most likely have to wait for a post-1.0 version; one advantage of software is that we can iterate on it after release.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLotus View Post
    That being said even the realtime implementation can be improved – mainly by allowing players to reconnect and passing control of a disconnected division, not destroying it – but these improvements will most likely have to wait for a post-1.0 version; one advantage of software is that we can iterate on it after release.
    That would be a very nice solution. Allow players to disconnect, but come back (and in the meantime, the other plays can take control of their things).