How Does Multiplayer Timing Work?

Thread: How Does Multiplayer Timing Work?

Default How Does Multiplayer Timing Work?

When I'm fighting the aliens in my lane, do the other players have to confirm they aren't doing anything on their end? It seemed that when my opponent was fighting, I still have a "fight" button in the bottom right hand corner that I had to tap. Does this mean my opponent couldn't fight until I had done so?

What happens if a player leaves the app for a few minutes during another players turn?

It seemed like it told my opponent that I had left the game, and then penalized us in some way (but I wasn't quite sure on this)

What happens if an opponent exits the app? Currently it seems like it causes the multiplayer game to be lost if both players have to step away.

I played this game with Rodney and also had to confirm by pressing "Fight" between each Combat in his lane. I'm assuming this feature is to allow windows for each player instants or item abilities between Fights. While this is nice, I really think the game could benefit from a few options to handle this part of the game.

1. An additional button or game option called "Fast play" or something that doesn't require each player to press "Fight" but instead gives them a button to PAUSE during these windows and play a card if they wish. This way the game keeps moving unless someone wants to actually play something.

2. Even something as simple as an additional button for the current player to "Fight Now" and essentially override the waiting for other players would be nice.

As far as a player leaving the game, when Rodney was outside of the app for a few minutes I got a "Player has disconnected message" and it penalized me by doing 1 base damage. I understand the need to balance the game with a player leaving, but what determines how much damage the base takes when something like this happens? Rodney was disconnected during the first round, right after resolving his lane (and had taken 2 damage to the base from his lane). Also, will there be there ability in the future to reconnect to a game when a player becomes disconnected?

The app is very nice so far, but I'd definitely like to see more game play options / modes. With XenoShyft being a fairly long and involved game, I really think the need for asynchronous elements and the ability to minimize the app are hugely necessary to making the game playable.

Look forward to seeing the game progress!

You are correct, you still have to tap fight/done when it is another player's turn. However, we are changing this functionality, you'll have to pause when you want to act instead during combat.

If a player actually quits the app for more than a few seconds he'll be disconnected. When a player is disconnected his deck and lane will be removed from the game and the base will suffer 1/N damage, where N is the number of players prior to the disconnection.

We will be adding an inactivity timer to auto-disconnect "AFKers", but right now it is not in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MattEvans View Post
    1. An additional button or game option called "Fast play" or something that doesn't require each player to press "Fight" but instead gives them a button to PAUSE during these windows and play a card if they wish. This way the game keeps moving unless someone wants to actually play something.
    You and I were replying at the same time! We're actually just changing the Combat phase to this like I said above.

Quote Originally Posted by MattEvans View Post
    As far as a player leaving the game, when Rodney was outside of the app for a few minutes I got a "Player has disconnected message" and it penalized me by doing 1 base damage. I understand the need to balance the game with a player leaving, but what determines how much damage the base takes when something like this happens? Rodney was disconnected during the first round, right after resolving his lane (and had taken 2 damage to the base from his lane). Also, will there be there ability in the future to reconnect to a game when a player becomes disconnected?
    In this scenario, if the base had suffered 2 damage, it should have taken 14 damage after Rodney left (28 / number of players), so you'd be down to 14 base HP total, was this the case?

We will be looking into ways to improve the multiplayer experience of course, including considering reconnects, but those are quite involved to implement and may come at a later date only.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLotus View Post
    You and I were replying at the same time! We're actually just changing the Combat phase to this like I said above.

In this scenario, if the base had suffered 2 damage, it should have taken 14 damage after Rodney left (28 / number of players), so you'd be down to 14 base HP total, was this the case?

We will be looking into ways to improve the multiplayer experience of course, including considering reconnects, but those are quite involved to implement and may come at a later date only.

Wow, thanks for the very fast response, hah!

Glad to hear about the change to the Combat Phase. I think that will really streamline things!

That's also good to know about the base damage when a player leaves. My base was down to 14 after he had left so it sounds like it's working as intended.

I understand the difficulty in including the multiplayer features I was requesting, so I apologize if I was seeming to oversimplify the work

Ideally if there was only a portion of the game to be asynchronous, it would be the Acquire and Deployment phases for each wave. Basically each player in the game has all the time they want to gear up and set up their lanes, regardless of the other players being around. Then once everyone has hit "done" a final push alert goes out to everyone and the Combat phase only proceeds once everyone is back in the game. This would make it a really fun way to carry games over for multiple days.

Anyway, again I don't mean to make it sound so easy to do. I just think that would be the ideal way for me (and my friends) to play the game.

Keep up the good work!

The app so far is looking great. So you have my full support with what you are doing here, but I would say most users are going to come to a game like this and not be expected to play a full game all in one sitting, and should they have to step away,they aren't going to want to be permanently booted from the session.

This is standard among the most popular board gaming apps, and people will be looking for that here. I'm sure you have lots of work on, but I would propose that this be a priority before release.