Sicks' humble WIP thread - Page 56
Page 56 of 91 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1818

Thread: Sicks' humble WIP thread

Oh so very excellent work on this lil vignette!!! Way super cool idea, and the same goes for the painting!!!

Thanks everyone not really worked on it much today, had a delivery for the next project so i started cleaning that up instead, damn distractions

Started work on some creeping ivy leaves to get that other orange spot, needs more work to look less like random leaves and more like a plant though so I'm going to add some more branches
    Name:  IMG_20170414_171517.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  747.4 KB

Also prepping my minis for the next project, slightly disturbed that the troll zombie seems to have sculpted genitals and anus but i suppose it's more gender equal that way
    Name:  IMG_20170413_122922.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  971.4 KB

Quick update, head glued to base, just waiting on the extra snow to dry before i can do more blood and dirt, going to use the time to try and power through the sculpting of the quiver and bow details. Also you can see I've tried to add more ivy vines, i might still add more later, once the plinth is painted black i might add them creeping down the side too
    Name:  IMG_20170415_144134.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  692.9 KB

I think the base is done aside from painting the plinth, short break before i hit the greenstuff later

Name:  IMG_20170415_173548.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  688.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170415_173608.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  688.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170415_173623.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  591.9 KB

That's awesome, dude! Your thoughtful use of color has added a ton of interest. The 'main view' frames that dragon's eye really nicely!

Thanks saint for reference here's a pic with the woman roughly in place, it's a very tight fit and i was worried about chipping paint so it's a few mm off until she's ready to get glued in. I think I'm going to abandon the bow and quiver idea, i like it but i cant seem to make anything I'm satisfied with and i want to get her finished so i can move on to the next project

From the reference pic you can see that there'll​ be a triangle of orange with the dragon eye being somewhere in the middle, hopefully it'll work, I'm going to try for a more realistic ginger hair though, not bright orange :PName:  IMG_20170415_211009.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  671.6 KB

It's coming along quite well. Love the butterfly.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

That is an absolutely amazing job! Cant wait to see what you do with the huntress.

Wow that base is rocking! nice work!

Thanks everybody, once Easter is out of the way and the kids are back in school I'll be going full steam ahead to get it done, luckily i already have the scheme planned out so it's just a matter of putting the time in, right now I'm working on the leg because i need at least the inner side finished so i can stick the rest of the bits on, i think some of the weapons need straightening out and cleaning since i had planned to do the conversions i left them untouched but no big dea

Been great following the progress on the base and dragon head. Going to be even better seeing the warrior painted up and adding to the scene

Thanks guys i have worked some more on the lady today, but it's not much to show yet so no pics just yet, maybe after the next session

So here's the start of the lady, mostly the armour which I'm going for polished bone and leather, it's still rough particularly on the shaded side but you can see where it's going. I'm also not sure what colour to do the fur, originally i thought black/grey to break the colours up a bit but brown/cream would tie in with the leather and bone, not sure which i like the sound of more
    Name:  IMG_20170418_125540.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  571.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170418_125546.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  539.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170418_125553.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  510.9 KB

Wonderful base Sicks!!! Love the bone armour idea!
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Great use of complimentary colors!!! For those who are new ill give a quick overview on how the armor and the dragon scale produce one of the 5 points of contrast!!! There are many ways to achieve contrast on a model ,a scene etc.. One of them being using conplimentery colors which when paired make the viewing very pleasing to the eye. So for instance blue on the dragon scales would pAinr great with blues compliment yellow(but its not yellow all the time -eg baby blue pairs great with beige or bone which is a yellowish hue. Now what compliments do is "not so much compliment each other as in hey you look great today" but compliments paired together contain all the primary colors together making this more pleasing to the eye from a spectrum standpoint. So guys if your still stuck on hey let me shade brown with a darker brown or red with a darker red... Look at your wheel and say hey if I shade red with a darker green it would add more pop and be that much more pleasing to the viewers eyes.
    lesson over .

btw I live it sicks this will be your top piece and an immense level up !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Wonderful base Sicks!!! Love the bone armour idea!
    Thanks Maenas the bone armour was planned all along

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Great use of complimentary colors!!! For those who are new ill give a quick overview on how the armor and the dragon scale produce one of the 5 points of contrast!!! There are many ways to achieve contrast on a model ,a scene etc.. One of them being using conplimentery colors which when paired make the viewing very pleasing to the eye. So for instance blue on the dragon scales would pAinr great with blues compliment yellow(but its not yellow all the time -eg baby blue pairs great with beige or bone which is a yellowish hue. Now what compliments do is "not so much compliment each other as in hey you look great today" but compliments paired together contain all the primary colors together making this more pleasing to the eye from a spectrum standpoint. So guys if your still stuck on hey let me shade brown with a darker brown or red with a darker red... Look at your wheel and say hey if I shade red with a darker green it would add more pop and be that much more pleasing to the viewers eyes.
    lesson over .

btw I live it sicks this will be your top piece and an immense level up !!!
    This was the main reason I chose blue for the dragon head, I'm by no means an expert on colour theory but i think I've at least got enough knowledge on it to work with (mostly from looking at everyone elses threads and picking up little bits and pieces here and there) as Maenas pointed out way back before i started, the dragon would have looked great in red (a colour I'm very comfortable painting too) but i had it in my head all along that the slayers armour would be leather and bone, so the closest colours to brown and ivory is the red-orange-yellow range so i needed to go over to the cool side of the wheel to find some complimentary colours which led me to a blue dragon head, as a bonus this worked well with the gory neck. I think on this piece I've got something from the whole colour wheel (or at least the 6 primary and secondary colours) which should hopefully all come together for a pleasant visual experience.

I slightly regret that i couldn't make the conversion ideas work in a way i was satisfied with but I'm glad i tried, it just got to the point where i had to move on especially as I'm entering my first big competition, i don't expect to win anything but i needed to make sure i had plenty of time to give it my best shot