Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1165

Thread: Sicks' humble WIP thread

Very nice looking bone armor. I'm glad you came up with this idea instead of going with metal, a very unique take. The dragon head and base have also been progressing very well. This is going to be a great scene.

Well going on what you've done this piece is really paying off IDE say its safe to say its by far one of your best and being in progress I feel you'll keep giving it new here's and there's until the end piece scores higher than the other BEAUTUFUL stuff in thy gallery. Excellence .. This one is excellence!!!

Looking great, Very exciting piece. Im loving the progress neat to check in and see how its turning out.

Definitely outdone yourself on the bone armour. Looks great so far, and your planning with the colour theory is working out well
    error 404: signature not found

Yes, the bone armor looks very awesome!

Wow lots of love for the bone armour thanks everybody, it's still looking rough in those pictures too more of a proof of concept i guess but it should look great when it's finished, i took inspiration from the videogames dragon age and skyrim, where basically the top tier of armour you get is made from dragons you've slain throughout the game, i might do the sword in bone too but that might be overdoing it so maybe not, haven't decided yet

Here's where she is after a few more hours, the blends are starting to look nice and smooth, opted for brown fur in the end which I've started on the leg here too
    Name:  IMG_20170419_134255.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  627.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170419_134304.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  511.7 KB

Definitely this is worth some popcorn and a comfortable sofa....
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5039 out of 238044 minis, and also left 712 comments on Cmon Gallery.

Today's efforts have mostly been on the leather straps and skin, I've also done the fur around the thigh armour, not sure the leather looks quite right, in the past I've done the easy method of drybrushing different shades of brown and beige and use washes to shade and stain it a bit, this time I'm trying to do it properly with a bit of stippling and thin lines etc. It also seems to be closer to the fur colours then I'd planned but I'm not sure if i can fix that now, maybe with a touch of dark red ink. Once the skin is done i need to go back and fix the edges of the leather straps because my watery glazes decided to creep in there, also did some dark lining on one of the armour sections which will need tidying up, my unsteady hands are showing me up again
    Name:  IMG_20170420_144123.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  477.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170420_144132.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  601.8 KB

So I'm so proud of all you guys, sicks, mally , flu, toad, guawol etc etc .. Is anybody aware at the HUUUGE leveling up contagion that all our guys, and gals are at a year later!!!! It's unbelievable!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    So I'm so proud of all you guys, sicks, mally , flu, toad, guawol etc etc .. Is anybody aware at the HUUUGE leveling up contagion that all our guys, and gals are at a year later!!!! It's unbelievable!!!!
    Well we wouldnt have been able to do it without the help of all of you skilled veteran painters giving us tips, techniques, and inspiration to improve.

And Sick the work you doing on your dragon and huntress keeps pushing me to work on my dragon and try to get it up to the same standard.

Default Btw

Many times when I'm dealing with analogous color combos(colors that are if the same tone) for example dark bown fur and dark brown leather there is an easy fix. 1) either don't take one of the colors the fur for e.g. Up to highlights that much. Stop just befor it starts to look like the leather highlights .. Or when you take em up and it still looks like similar you can hit it with reiki and fleshshade , not to change it but to make it diff.
    Ir 3) you can use diff colors to mix in for the highlights etc. if its done already and painted just leave it. But something to think bout for next time. I'm sure it's readable as is. Great job on this so far.

Cheers guys, after getting through some TT commissions i really wanted to push myself, i think I'd probably spent easily 10 or more hours building and painting the base and dragon head before i even touched the huntress. I've had great support here and in a group chat on Facebook with some of the guys here too which has been great

The leather is still wip bam so i can try out your suggestion, ithink the trouble is the inks i used on the leather are too similar to the colours on the fur, on the leather i used a brown base (different one to the fur) and mixed in progressively more light grey to try and give that textured look, then i used scale 75 chestnut and wood inks thinned at the end which has changed it to be very similar to the fur. As options to fix it i could either hit the fur with thinned black ink and make it look like very dark brown, which might be a pain because the fur lines go right between the skin and the armour, or i could make the leather a more red brown, i think I'll go for changing the leather because i already need to fix up the other parts next to it. Also I'm sure the blends on the armour shade looks better than that in person but it looks like i may need to fix that up too

That kneepad is awesome. I reckon your plan to tint the leather towards the red end should work quite well. Ties in nicely with the cloth at her back and the blood on the base.
    error 404: signature not found

Thanks foxy, i think i was more careful on the kneepad because it's one of the most visible parts of the lower leg, the dark side goes right up against the dragons neck and the shin has a horn coming in front of it.

what a difference a glaze makes! One quick glaze of mournfang brown (which is quite an orangy/red brown) and it's made it stand out from the furs, from here I'll go back in for the edge wear and tear and see how that goesName:  IMG_20170420_205848.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  499.2 KB

Nice job with the leather. The glaze really helps the whole area look cleaner and better.\

One other thing I like to do that helps further differentiate similarly-colored surfaces is to use different shades of cream/ivory/sand/grey etc. as I work up through some edge highlights. So for your penultimate or final highlight, use different off-white colors. I imagine everyone's got several similar, arguably redundant whites (likely accumulated in the search for something better than popular favorite VMC Ivory to mix with) and light greys, browns, sands, etc. lying around*.

Thanks, BAM! It's certainly awesome to see others making progress, really working hard and breaking through a lot of personal barriers. I see Sicks on here taking risks, trying crap I've never done, and it makes me want to get off my ass and make something cool. And exactly like Guawol said, the help - but I'd argue even more the interest - of superior and more experienced painters really puts a lot of wind in my sails, at least.

*In my feelings of guilt for accumulating so many tiny bottles of nearly identical paint, I invent such uses for them.

Thanks lemming and toad (the bone armour really is going down well!) I kind of glossed over game comment darker but I'm owe 90% of my painting ability to the painting community taking interest and giving advice along the way, the other 10% is sheer practice. I'm always happy to pass it forward if i can, though I'm not the best at describing what I've done haha, my only regret is waiting so long to join the forum because looking back i spent maybe 6-12 months before joining where i was progressing in tiny baby steps, i always had these wild ideas for scenes or dioramas but not the skill to make any of them, but now i finally feel like i could tackle some of them, the next project will be a good one to try pushing that

I haven't touched her since the last picture but I've got some ideas of what to do tomorrow, I'll keep working on the leather and if time allows try smoothing out the bone armour too, i find doing these daily updates keeps me going so i have something to show and it could potentially be helpful for other people to see how these projects progress, as you can see in my case quite often things don't look quite right for a while and then nearing the end it all starts coming together, i feel like it's important to show these steps because when you look in the gallery it can be daunting to see some of the amazing work and it can be disheartening when your own work doesn't seem to be going right but learning how to fix things is important and once you gain confidence with that you don't get discouraged as much because most of the time you know what to do to make it right again.

Also stripping minis isn't that hard in a worst case scenario. And glazing is like painting magic, very slow magic

Edit: also mally is a dark horse, showing us his TT+ quality commissions, just wait and see his diorama!
    Last edited by Sicks; 04-20-2017 at 08:17 PM.

WOW! That bone armor is inspired. And you use some of the nicest shades for painting bones that I have seen. It almost approaches an aged ivory look. I may have to get ambitious and try it on a larger skeleton.

Thanks kindly Mr bear if it helps i can show the process when i come to do the other leg. I'll have more pictures later, hoping to squeeze in some more time this evening but since the bone is so popular here's a brief write up, as I say I'll show step by step pictures to help with the other leg.

Name:  IMG_20170421_133451.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  628.6 KB

Those are the main colours used, i forgot to show grey and black but i only used them during the base coat also i don't know what the equivalents are for other companies but I'm sure they'd make similar colours too. Firstly i base coated with screaming skull, i mixed in saying grey (a very dark grey) at about a 50/50 rate and sketched in some shadows (pretty much the whole dark side and in the various crevices on the light side) and after that i mixed in some black to what was already on the pallet (so i guess a 1:1:1 ratio) this went primarily in the deepest crevices of the dark side. From here on out it's basically playing with glazes to get it smooth and looking right, using zandri dust as the highest highlight on the dark side and dryad bark to blend it towards the almost black. Tbh the hardest step is the blend between the dryad bark and zandri dust because there's such a big difference between them (if it helps you could do a 50/50 mix of these to make a small area between the 2 colours). On the light side I've done the same but glaze up through the lighter bone colours and up to the witch flesh which is a nice off white colour, i will probably add some pure white highlighting on the top spots. The nuln oil was used mainly to dark line the various panels but i also used it to help blend the dryad bark to the darkest shade.

Hopefully that made sense, it will likely be clearer when there's photos to go with it