Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1231

Thread: Sicks' humble WIP thread

Very nice, thx for the SBS.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    Very nice, thx for the SBS.
    yup, nice simple and straight forward sbs.

Great basing tips Sicks and the Ork turned out really well....looking forward
    to seeing him surrounded by his teammates.

Thanks fellas here's the start of the troll, blocked in some highlights and places where I want some red/pink skin to go and started on his chest plate, first rule of surviving life on an orc team, if the troll says he's number 1, let him be number 1
    Name:  IMG_20170510_145448.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  533.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170510_145505.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  544.3 KB

Nice tutorial on the bases, and nice bases! Any special techniques for getting the static grass to stand properly?
    As far as the eyes on the QB orc, I think you might not need to alter the eyes themselves, but just sharpen up the eyelids. It think it might be just a tiny spillover onto the lids that you're seeing as improvable, but you could clean up (and maybe glaze some color in, too) the surrounding skin areas and see if that helps him out enough.

Nice to see another artists perspective in the troll! Nice start and I'm sure it will be an even nicer finish.

All I did for the grass on mine was gently brush it upwards with my finger at the end, the gloss varnish kind of pools into clumps which keeps it firmly locked down, I have heard of static grass applicators which honestly look like witchcraft, a small electronic box which you put loose grass on top and then hold your base above it, I think it charges the grass with static electricity which makes it jump up to the base so that just the end hits the glue, seems like sorcery to me but it's popular in model railway building and I've seen some people using it for terrain too.

I think you're right about the orc, after a closer look the eyes just need a quick tidy up rather than a completely

I wasn't going to show anything new yet but since I'm here posting anyway here's a quick update, started over on the troll skin, I realised he was the one model on the team that had more options for skin colours so I'm going with blue/green instead, also more or less finished his number plate aside from a piece of leather strap which I'll probably wait until it's glued on and I'm doing the rest of the strap. I was going for wood that was painted black and then worn away again, not sure if I made it work though
    Name:  IMG_20170511_174338.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  560.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170511_174318.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  503.9 KB

I love the idea of doing something different with the troll skin, it will look great in contrast to the rest of the orcs.

Love a blue troll! Agreed that it will help him stand out from the green skins and reinforce his focal point as the star player.

great starting point!

Tanks guys, yeah that was my thought, he's probably around twice the height of all his team mates so there's no getting around the fact he will be a centrepiece so I thought I might as well go with it, the biggest challenge I'm having is getting team colours on there, he's not wearing much in the way of a kit but at least there's a shoulder pad to get the team emblem on

Trying my hand at a textured cloth look as a bit of a break from the skin, I was testing a theory of putting lines and dots for texturing and then using glazes for sharing which seems to have worked but I've ended up with it all looking a bit dark so I might have to repeat the process a little bit to get the highlights in, I also worked a bit around the mouth and eye, I forgot to photograph it properly but you can see it in one of these pictures
    Name:  IMG_20170513_214225.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  497.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170513_214239.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  555.3 KB

Lovin the color choice for the troll! Very striking!

Will you be returning to the dragon slayer soon? Or is she on the back burner for a bit?

Thanks mate, I've been slowly working on the dragon Huntress but I've been more distracted by the bb models, my son has come down with a tummy bug too so not much sleep this weekend and plenty of running for towels and sick bowls too

Sorry to hear about your boy. Been there and feel your pain, haha. Hope he gets well soon!

Wonderful ol school colors and that's do etching I'm sure we all can agree is very fitting. And the painting is coming along skillfully sicks. Very very nice. Btw Godspeed in the Lil guy getting better.

Thanks for the well wishes, he's getting better but he's pretty wiped out, lots of rest and drink but he's not felt ready to eat yet.

The forums have been playing up lately so I'm going to do a photo dump of the last few days. Firstly the troll, mainly been finishing up the cloth rags, not bad for a first attempt i think
    Name:  IMG_20170517_125150.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  547.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170517_125159.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  543.0 KB

Next up, the thrower, gave him a new name and took the skin up further, also sorted some of the blending on his blue shirt, still not sure on the eyes, I've tried to give him black pupils but it's hard to see them
    Name:  IMG_20170517_125253.jpg
Size:  542.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170517_125302.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  522.5 KB

And lastly, the dragon Huntress, still blending the chest armour, I feel like she's lost contrast on her skin so that will probably need more work and started on the loin cloth plus changed the trim on the leather to match it, also started stippling the leather up

Name:  IMG_20170517_125215.jpg
Size:  611.5 KB

The texture on the troll's garments came out great.

Spectacular work on garments,two tone flesh idea- the naming of the newest orc lobber and effects.well done.

Thanks both, I like that from a distance the textured cloth on the troll just looks like normal painting from roughly arms length but the closer you get the more you see it I've not had alot of time to paint because it's been my turn to get the shits! But I have started work on some signature reds on the dragon Huntress mainly on the lower half of the body, mainly because I'm pretty comfortable with reds now so it was good to ease back into it and not be doing 1000 ivory glazes

Name:  IMG_20170520_203937.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  637.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170520_203946.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  587.9 KB

Sicks! *pounce*

So glad to see you're still at this whole painting thing. Your style has come along in leaps and bounds since I was last around. Well done.

I love the colour you settled on for the troll btw.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery