Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1307

Thread: Sicks' humble WIP thread

Thanks guys, it's been a rough start, but it's a start lol by the end of the session the muscle memory was coming back so I'm hopeful things go smoother next time, luckily I'm not too bothered about this mini, I do wish I'd remembered not to glue all the bits on before I started though
    Name:  IMG_20171129_165923.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  510.7 KB

Brush confidence coming back a bit, which is great because then kit design I chose when I did the thrower involved lots of freehand http://imgur.com/ARK6EHT

Anyways here's a bit of progress, decided to change the helmet to black, not really focused on any one part yet just bringing all the colours up to get an idea of where I'm supposed to be going with it, doesn't help that I can't remember exactly how I did stuff on the thrower so hopefully it I'll end up matching in the end

Name:  IMG_20171130_160455.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  484.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20171130_160505.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  506.8 KB

Ahhhhh Applesauce !!! your doing great like riding a bike!!!

Thanks mate, it's definitely like riding a bike haha, it's a little frustrating at the moment because I remember how to do things but my hands aren't quite up to scratch yet. In the meantime I could use some brainstorming if anyone fancies it on the colour scheme for a bust, this is based on a guildball character and originally I thought I'd copy the official artwork for the regular mini but the problem is the otter is supposed to be white and the top is supposed to be off white, I worry with those plus the skin it's going to end up with a lot of similar colours, the other colour is like an aquatic teal sort of colour for the bandana and the armour around the midriff I think it's supposed to look like scales but in the picture it's hard to tell if it's scales or fishnet) I've got til Christmas to think about it at least but some input would help set my mind at ease
    Name:  23738012_1422647424499117_3109036852003600574_o.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  123.6 KB

good to see your painting again. having had a fair few breaks myself i know what your mean about the muscle memory fading a bit. it does bounce back quite quick though.

Sicks!! Welcome back man! I can't wait to see that bust get painted up. I am also anxious to see you get back to the dragon huntress model, just sayin
    Last edited by Octavian80; 12-01-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks fellas, don't worry Octavian, the dragon Huntress is still on the desk but i wanted something I could knock out fairly quickly to warm up a bit first

I've started on the majority of freehand, not 100% happy with it but I am at least happy it didn't go horribly wrong, still plenty of work that needs doing but happy with progress so far

Name:  IMG_20171202_200037.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  468.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20171202_200047.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  457.6 KB

Good to see you at it Sicks. The orc is looking great with the vibrant colors. On the bust it is hard to tell what the midriff is. The texture is very distinct. It doesn't look at all like scales to me. More like stylized fishnet or chainmail.

Thanks mate, I'm slowly getting back in the swing of things haha. With the bust a lot of my info is coming from the 30mm mini so far since I'm not allowed to open the bust to have a look until Christmas I might not follow the guildball scheme at all and go with something completely different anyway but on the gaming mini it's much clearer that it's scalemail armour, theres not many pics of the bust yet though but it does look a lot like fishnet from what I can see but it should be much clearer when I can see it in hand

Name:  fisherman-starter-set-shark-siren-angel.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  123.6 KB

Quick photo dump, still to do: neaten up the blue shirt, find transfer sheet for the team symbol and make the base, I'm not 100% happy with the skin but I'm not aiming to do my very best with this one, just recapping on painting mainly before I get some nice stuff in the post

Name:  IMG_20171203_161412.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  508.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20171203_161431.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  487.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20171203_161439.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  467.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20171203_161453.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  466.1 KB

Cheers guys, I based the orc but he still needs transfers when I find them, I decided to keep going while I'm on a roll and started another orc,mainly the face so far but the rest of the skin has been roughly done too pending smoothing out

Name:  IMG_20171204_213402.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  509.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20171204_213420.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  490.0 KB

Right on, dude! Keep plugging away to get back in the groove of things. The first orc looks great! Nice work on the freehand. You're looking like your old self again!

I highly approve of the bust! Everything else must be put on hold while that is completed. Especially the filthy orcs -_-
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

It’s ok for similar colors - it’s called an analogous scheme . Let’s say I’m painting a witch hunter . Instead of complimentary, split complimentary etc etc, ide paint it all diff shades of brown. It’s something I’m a huge fan of. Your tech is great so youde be able to pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Thanks mate, it's definitely like riding a bike haha, it's a little frustrating at the moment because I remember how to do things but my hands aren't quite up to scratch yet. In the meantime I could use some brainstorming if anyone fancies it on the colour scheme for a bust, this is based on a guildball character and originally I thought I'd copy the official artwork for the regular mini but the problem is the otter is supposed to be white and the top is supposed to be off white, I worry with those plus the skin it's going to end up with a lot of similar colours, the other colour is like an aquatic teal sort of colour for the bandana and the armour around the midriff I think it's supposed to look like scales but in the picture it's hard to tell if it's scales or fishnet) I've got til Christmas to think about it at least but some input would help set my mind at ease
    like BaM suggested an analogous brown shceme could work.

Or you could do different 'whites': warm white(white to yellowbrowns) for the otter, cold white for the shirt (white to light bluegrays), bit darker neutral brown(GW's graveyard earth) for the net at the waist, light leather on the arms.
    aaaand for skin I'd try some darker skintone... mainly because eveyone just paints normal caucasian tones. As the figure is piratey (and with that caribic) a creol skintone could work. But even if you choose the usual caucasian it'll be ok, as it's mostly a warm-white with a red hue, so different enough to the shirt/otter.
    Handband: again cool/warm white/pastel would work as long as the hair is a darker ( neutral) brown.

IF you go with the different whites/light browns, then do the eyes with a VERY saturated green/blue/Yellow. Will make the gaze eye-catching.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Thanks for the input guys, don't worry zab after this orc I'll move on to something else, got my postage email from the hasslefree kickstarter this morning so I'll probably start building a diorama base in preparation for what I was working on before the break

With the bust I had thought that she could pass as a pirate with little or no conversion work necessary, if anything a more piratey earring but I'll wait til it's in hand before deciding that, here's a pic from the front, with the way the face is sculpted I think she would look cartoony in Caucasian skin tones, the facial structure looks more suited to a tanned or dark skin colour, something like Maui or Caribbean, I'll probably do the otter in dark brown too and use stuff like the shell necklace, eyes and maybe bandana for some places to add more vibrant colours, perhaps light blue as a complimentary to frame the face

Name:  1084-thickbox_default.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  254.6 KB

Quick update on the orc, armour patterns down (I now have check patterns) base coated and glazed the metal bits too. Feeling back up to speed with the brush handling now
    Name:  IMG_20171205_140934.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  468.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20171205_140957.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  533.9 KB

thats looking tidy, nice one, glad to read and see the brush control is back again, knew it wouldn't take long.