Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 155563646566 LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1305

Thread: Sicks' humble WIP thread

I'm not sure about the orc,... But the thumb is coming along nicely
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    thats looking tidy, nice one, glad to read and see the brush control is back again, knew it wouldn't take long.
    Thanks, I'm still a bit sloppy but at least I'm confident while hitting the wrong bits
    Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    I'm not sure about the orc,... But the thumb is coming along nicely
    If you paint a mini but don't have a half painted thumb or accidentally sipped the paint water, did you ever really paint at all?

My eyes! I remember doing checkers my eyes went blury from all the concentration. great work!

Thanks canny, I don't know how people could do a whole army with check patterns haha, here's a quick shot of the 3 orcs together, middle one still needs his base done and I still haven't found the transfers though

Name:  IMG_20171207_144127.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  615.1 KB

Decided to start working on the diorama, the base is still in the early stages but I also started on an elf, I'll most likely be cutting off most of the log she's attached to but for now it's more convenient to leave it there to paint
    Name:  IMG_20171207_144219.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  405.7 KB

More work done this evening, having some trouble with that middle of the shirt but I'll get it eventually
    Name:  IMG_20171208_002833.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  504.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20171208_002840.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  455.5 KB

That elf is looking great, excellent colouring in the shadows...

This one is awesome and the freehand on the ork shoulder pads are perfectly executed.

Thanks guys, with the pros I'm going for a uniformed but not identical look, different shades of skin and black with flame armour but not in an exact pattern like you might on other race teams. I've not had much hobby time today and most of it has been bulking up the diorama base but it's still not ready to show (it's basically a big white lump at the moment and it's too late at night to be trying to explain what it will become ha!) Also trying to tackle the elf's sword, forgot how tricky metal can be

Looking good Sick. I have all the faith in the world you will be able to paint the middle of the shirt.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Thanks mate, I've mainly been working on the sword, I've always had trouble with metallic paints, I've persevered for the longest time trying to make it work but I can never get them to blend properly and it ends up just not looking right in the end, same thing was happening with the elfs sword, in the end I thought screw it, I've got nothing to lose so I'm gonna try nmm and so far I'm pleased I made that decision, its not perfect and I planned to glaze in some colour after I got it looking shiny but I think nmm suits my methods better

Name:  IMG_20171210_005407.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  437.4 KB

For comparison this is how it was looking with metallics before I gave up on the idea
    Name:  IMG_20171209_183034.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  442.5 KB

tmm is painted exactly like nmm, just exaggerate the steps more in between shadows mids and highs, use inks to add colors and keep the shine and don't be afraid to lose the shine in the shadows, because metal doesn't shine with no light on it!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks mate, that's pretty much what I try to do with tmm but I find it harder blending metallic paints for some reason

I’m with you on that sick, I’ve struggled to get tmm looking right since I’ve started painting again... often thought about just doing nmm, but I do like true metallics... something I’ve just been persisting with and getting hella frustrated in the process

I think at some point I need to sit down and figure out where it's going wrong for me with tmm, I've got 2x scale 75 steel metallic set and the gold one so it would be a waste to give up completely but with nmm you're at least using standard paint which you get a lot more practice with

I’ve been using citadel but was looking at getting the scale sets for myself as a Chrissy present hehe. I’ve found with the citadels the best way to use them (for me personally that is) I thin them with water and let them seperate a little and use the watery part as kind of a glaze and just build up coats, seems to keep the finer flakes in this part. I find if I used them not watery enough they tend to clump up and look terrible, but that too could be my brush style aswell. I know pretty much everyone else has no problems with these paints so I have to put it down to my painting technique???

With citadel i use some of their lahmian medium with a small amount of the metallic to try and smooth out blends, but it's more like glittery water then, doesn't seem to keep much of the colour with it, the scale 75 ones are lovely, already very thing straight out of the bottle, when I was doing the elf sword I was using my gw metallics though, mainly because they were closer to hand, maybe I should have stuck to the s75 ones haha

the elf is looking good sicks , i like the colours you have used. the sword looks great.

Well you nmm is very nice and tmm just takes practice. It’s hard to gauge though because it’s so shiny you really have to exaggerate the contrast. And yeah scale has great metals. I have their gold and the Lady Inquisitor just got me the copper set for Xmas. Also their inks are great. Keep trying when you can but if it’s not your thing don’t sweat it cause nmm looks ace!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks coyote, zab I think I'm just cursed tbh, like I started out with the thought that I liked the more realistic style and tmm but I seem to have strayed away from that in my own painting, I've tried tmm many times in the last few years and occasionally I get close to something I like, on the other hand this is I think my 2nd ever attempt at nmm and it just seems to flow easier (no doubt it helps that I was using the same sort of colour placements in tmm too) to be fair I've since made a few mistakes in the sword but I feel like I know how to fix it haha

I really like the scale 75 paints in general but I do have the inks too which are really nice, I have quite a few of their sets but I haven't really tried them a lot yet but they're very rich in colour

Quick update, I think it's getting there, the other side of the sword doesn't look as good yet though
    Name:  IMG_20171210_201733.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  434.3 KB