Wrath of Kings Official FAQ - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrath of Kings Official FAQ

I believe it's once per friendly model that is using the insight. I don't think it matters if you spread your dice over multiple enemies and roll an overpower on each of them.

As far as Madam Mui goes, the language for soul storm uses “attacks” as in plural. That makes me think that it can only trigger once per activation rather than once for each attack. If that's correct though it makes me wonder about the timing of when enemy models would make their will checks. If she rolled an overpower on her first attack would they make their will checks immediately, or would you finish resolving the rest of her attacks first? It could have a big impact as finishing the attacks first could get you into a better position to affect more enemies with soul storm.

Separate question:

In Shael Han vs Shael Han can you use insights provided by enemy models? The text for enlightenment just says:

“When this model activates, it may choose up to x Offensive Insights within range and apply their affects.”

From that it looks like you could use insights from enemy models as long as they are in range. Is this right, or am I missing something that prevents this?

How works the ability "the voice protects" of the deepmen? Only when they engage during their activation an enemy with resonate or simply everytime they are engaged with an enemy with resonate?

Anytime they're engaged

Can model use a special ability if they are not activated? Like Bolster for example? And does it "use up" an action?

That would have to depend on the special ability in question. Active models can use non-activated (passive) models abilities if they are an aura or toggle, or Insight in the case of Shael Han. Something like Bolster that allows you to assist from 2 inches away would mean you have to actually be assisting to benefit from it, and assist is an action, so you have to be active to use it.

Hm. So it looks like I was right about Hestra's training, after all.

Are combined activations simultaneous? For example, 6 mercenaries move and 3 engage 3 Deepmen. The remaining three move into b2b with the first 3 Mercenaries. Can the mercenaries not engaging remove resonate, and then the front 3 mercenaries attack, nullifying the effects of resonate?

The answer is yes, the rear three mercenaries can remove the resonate prior to the attack. Special actions are always individual and are handled one at a time. But a combined attack is simultaneous, so even though all three Mercenaries are attacking 3 separate deepmen, all three attacks occurs simultaneously

Newbie, please be gentle Figmental's Avatar

When Acting, each model will perform its action oneby one, resolving 1 model’s action fully before moving ontothe next. The exception to this is a Combined Attack (SeeCombined Attack under Attack Actions, PG. 12)
    This is under Combined Activations on PG. 10. I hope it helps.
    It’s as I always say, hopelessness is the greatest aphrodisiac… in Űnderland. -Werner Űnderbheit

Combined Attacks all target the same model, so if the attacks each have a different target they would be individual attack actions and would not be simultaneous.
    It’s as I always say, hopelessness is the greatest aphrodisiac… in Űnderland. -Werner Űnderbheit

Noob/stupid question. During free movement (Maneuver), can you only move 0' or maximum distance? or can I move only let's say 5 inches instead of my max 6 inches?

You can move any distance up to your move, so if you have a 5" move any distance from 0" through 5" are legal moves

When a model moves it may Maneuver "up to" its Mobility. That means a model with a 6" Mobility can Maneuver anywhere from 0-6".

When players choose Motivations, does each player publicly announce the Motivation? Some Motivations require an announcement, since the Motivation requires some initial setup. Other Motivations seem like they could benefit from being secret until the conditions are met.

In what order are Motivations selected? It seems that announcing a Motivation can potentially give sufficient information for a subsequent player to have some advantage in deciding his/her own Motivation.

Q: When are Motivations declared?
    A: Motivations are declared after the board has been set up, but before deployment.

That is from the FAQ so since they are declared I would say the Motivations would be public knowledge before the game. If the announcement of your Motivation is a concern then I would suggest each player write down their Motivation before declaration like on the Conquest of Kings Record Sheet for Tournaments. This way the chosen Motivations will have no bearing on one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Figmental View Post
    Q: When are Motivations declared?
    A: Motivations are declared after the board has been set up, but before deployment.

That is from the FAQ so since they are declared I would say the Motivations would be public knowledge before the game. If the announcement of your Motivation is a concern then I would suggest each player write down their Motivation before declaration like on the Conquest of Kings Record Sheet for Tournaments. This way the chosen Motivations will have no bearing on one another.
    Thank you, Figmental. That makes sense to me!

Do some special abilities "use up" a model's action?

For example, Hardoss' Ilva's Syren Call or Ephramati's Crushing Waves

Yes, Abilities marked Special, use the the models action to perform. This is true of any ability marked Toggle also.

I have a question about elevation (that's admittedly a little corner case) that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

In our game last night, we had a hill that's Elevated 1 (we always play with at least one piece of elevated terrain). Everyone has to pay a Terrain Cost of 1" to "enter" said hill. As such, I'm assuming based on the RAW that this difference in elevation creates a binary situation: you are either on the hill or off the hill, and models off the hill with a melee range of 00 can't be base-to-base to engage a model on the hill (and vice versa). Is this assumption correct? I feel like it is, but I could be wrong.

Further along those lines, we had a situation where there were some War Dancers on the edge of the hill, with some Ravenscars right behind them on the ground. A Bloodmask considers doing a Shieldbash attack to a War Dancer, which would knock her back 2", but she can't leave the hill because there's nowhere for her to land on the ground that isn't on top of a Ravenscar.

Ultimately the Bloodmask opted to just try to kill the War Dancer, but how should that have been handled if she Shieldbashed? If my first assumption is correct and a model on a hill can't be base-to-base with a model off the hill, than the War Dancer would have just stayed put (though perhaps if it was Elevated 3 and she was higher than the Ravenscars are tall, she would just go over them and land behind). But given our Warmachine background (with .5" melee ranges and the ability to "toe-in" to terrain) that feels weird. Also given our Warmachine background, though, I acknowledge that whether or not something "feels" weird has nothing to do with RAW.

So how should that situation be handled? Am I wrong in my first assumption that models at differing elevations can't be base-to-base? I'm curious to see what people think.

Thanks!