Wrath of Kings Official FAQ - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrath of Kings Official FAQ

I am curious about this as well. My group has always played with a more cinematic mindset and always favor more death/attacks, so the Pelegarth rushing down a kill like a bowling ball into the Goritsi pins would have been totally allowed and laughed about. However, RAW, if you aren't in base to base, you aren't in base to base, so that makes terrain elements very tricky to work around, especially stepped hills or somthnig that wouldn't allow for models to get into base to base, even in the same terrain piece.

Looking for some clarification with these after a game last night:

A Blood Engine used Eat Without Hunger while in contact with two Ashmen. It killed one, but because it was still engaged with the other I assumed it couldn't move 4".

That Ashman that was killed Acts with Certainty and wounds the Blood Engine. I assume that happens AFTER the Blood Engine benefits from its Eat What You Kill special ability.

What's the maximum number of enemies that can be killed by Eat Without Hunger? Essentially, what does "this" refer to: "If this model kills an enemy with this attack, it may move up to 4" and make 1 Eat Without Hunger attack" or just "make 1 Eat Without Hunger attack".

Being terrain elements, can models in contact with them benefit from a Ravenscar Sergeant's training? I assumed so, even though they're size 0. It's pretty handy for Capture Prisoner.

As the Blood Engine was still engaged, he would not be able to move his 4", but he could still take the Eat Without Hunger bonus attack against the Ashman he was still engaged with.

Maximum # of enemies he can kill? I suppose on good rolls he could kill 6. 2 from the first attack (since it is a 2 die attack), he moves does it again to 2 more figures, and then gets to do it one more time (since you can only repeat this trigger twice) killing 2 more figures.

All Objectives are defined as Terrain Elements, so models in contact with them would benefit from the Ravenscar Sergeants training

As I see it The Elevated terrain keyword does 2 things: moving to an Increased Elevation costs x inches of movement, if x cannot be paid the model cannot enter. Elevated adds x to the Size of any models within it. So, being under the effect of a terrain keyword is binary, however being in the element has no effect on the physical location of your base, it just increases the Size of the model. So, if the lip of a model IN the terrain was overhanging the Base of the terrain by any amount, another model could be in b2b with it, as (technically) the base is still considered to be on the flat surface of the field, the model just got taller. If there is any significant gap between the base of the model in the terrain and the base of the terrain, a model would have to pay the Terrain Cost to get into b2b.

Hey. Apologies if this has been asked previously.

In our game tonight we had a deepman kaxes leader attack and kill a felhammer. Which resolves first the felhammer rolling his magic attack against models in contact or the deepmans move and attack?

I read it as the active player resolving first which was the deepman but my opponent wanted his deepman to move though the fellhammerer.. Would you remove the felhammer(killed) then move the deepman then resolve the magic damage roll?

my second question was a bit simpler, if something has a melee attack with range 2 can it disengage and stay within 2 of something and make its attacks? Is that engaging?

Rules say you resolve the attackers effect before the defender if they happen simultaneously. So move the the deepman, resolve the magic roll, remove the Felhammer.

Engaging in base to base, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDave View Post
    Rules say you resolve the attackers effect before the defender if they happen simultaneously. So move the the deepman, resolve the magic roll, remove the Felhammer.
    Ok, so in this example does the deepman now get to move away and ignore disengaging because the felhammer is technically still there? Or do you remove the felhammer, the deepman then can move through the space he occupied, not have to disengage and make his attack. Then you resolve the damage from the felhammer being killed?

This is what happened in our game, and the attack that was made decided the game

Without a FAQ saying otherwise I would remove the fellhammer, move and attatck with the deepman and then resolve the magic attck on the deepman. Definitely sounds weird, but both just say "when killed" so they're simultaneous.

The attack would need to fully resolve before the Deepman makes its move, this would include removing the Felhammer because it reached 0 HP, which would in turn trigger its ability.

So order of resolution here would be:

1. Attack 1 from Deepman completes, killing Fel Hammer.
    2. Fel Hammer is reduced to 0 HP, and is killed, triggering its ability.
    3. Once effect has resolved, Deepman will perform the Inspire move/attack.
    Designer and Senior Developer
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft

Thanks heaps
    Last edited by Thatnicguy; 07-22-2015 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Bugs

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateGinger View Post
    As I see it The Elevated terrain keyword does 2 things: moving to an Increased Elevation costs x inches of movement, if x cannot be paid the model cannot enter. Elevated adds x to the Size of any models within it. So, being under the effect of a terrain keyword is binary, however being in the element has no effect on the physical location of your base, it just increases the Size of the model. So, if the lip of a model IN the terrain was overhanging the Base of the terrain by any amount, another model could be in b2b with it, as (technically) the base is still considered to be on the flat surface of the field, the model just got taller. If there is any significant gap between the base of the model in the terrain and the base of the terrain, a model would have to pay the Terrain Cost to get into b2b.
    So your take on it is dependent on whether or not it is physically possible for a model to be in b2b? Am I reading that correctly? Our hill was a steppe, so a model on it is physically higher than a model off it, thus the only way to be b2b is to actually be on the hill. But a sloping hill where part of your base might might actually overhang onto the ground, b2b could be possible as long as the elevated model's base was accessible off the terrain feature.

I think that makes sense.

Hi, noob question.

The Blind Hakar abilities "Guard Dog" and "Riposte", generate a melee attack [1], can this melee attack be the vengeance strike with 1d ? so if i do a hit the enemy is killed? Or is a generic melee attack ?

Thanks.

It would be a generic 1 die attack. If a model "suffers a 1 die attack" it doesn't benefit from any special tricks on a model. If it said something like "This model makes one of it's attacks with a rate of 1" then you could incoporate any tricks the model might have.

Default Los issue

I play a lot of different games and currently we are having a discussion while playing WoK about something that makes no sense to me...
    here is the issue:

A...... X
    .........X. ......B

All models are the same size.
    X.X are from the same army and are touching bases.
    A wants to shoot B
    the rule, as written says I can as it states that models of the same size can't block Los. Now, to me, this makes no sense. What is the actual ruling?
    thank,
    Gryffn88

Interveneing terrain must be a size greater than or equal to either the target or active model to block LoS.

Interveneing models must be a size greater than either the target or active model to block LoS.
    Last edited by EvilDave; 09-15-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Newbie, please be gentle Figmental's Avatar

Gryffn88 This has not had an FAQ because the rule is very straight forward. Page 9 "What is a Blocking Element? If an element in the LOS window has a size greater than either the attacker or defender, the element is blocking." Not every rule will make sense to all players but that should not take away from the game as a whole.
    It’s as I always say, hopelessness is the greatest aphrodisiac… in Űnderland. -Werner Űnderbheit

Thanks for the responses...

I understand the rule but it makes no real sense is all. I just can't see through two cars touching to hit the car be hind them. I can't really 'see' the other model as the 2 size 2, in base to base contact, should be considered as one (at least in my mind).

i, we, will play the rules as they are I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything like 'cover' being removed.
    thanks all,
    gryffn88

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffn88 View Post
    I just can't see through two cars touching to hit the car be hind them. I can't really 'see' the other model as the 2 size 2, in base to base contact, should be considered as one (at least in my mind).
    This is true in the case of cars, yes, particularly if they are parked. It is less true if we are talking about moving people. Remember that no model is static

But yes, I agree, it seems a bit weird that this has NO effect. I assume that this is a design choice; since it would have to be all or nothing, nothing is a more playable solution that it being impossible to make the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioLopez View Post
    So your take on it is dependent on whether or not it is physically possible for a model to be in b2b? Am I reading that correctly? Our hill was a steppe, so a model on it is physically higher than a model off it, thus the only way to be b2b is to actually be on the hill. But a sloping hill where part of your base might might actually overhang onto the ground, b2b could be possible as long as the elevated model's base was accessible off the terrain feature.

I think that makes sense.
    Yes, but with further explanation. The concept is a bit weird mentally, I'll fully admit, but we do see a similar thing Malifaux. There technically isn't any elevation difference in the game. From the way I read it, each model takes up a space the size of its base to a height of its Size. Terrain elements with the Elevated keyword only add to this size, they do not establish a different playing field. so if you had a model that is Size 2 on an Elevated 1 block (no slope) that had half of its base overhanging the edge, and an opponent moved a model Underneath the first models base, they would be in base to base contact, as the first models base extends down infinitely (as the rules are currently written). As the overhang is (in this case) extreme, the opponent wouldn't need to pay the Terrain Penalty to enter the feature to engage. If however, the first model was a few mm completely inside that element, the opponent would have to pay the Terrain Penalty to move into it to engage. The boggling part is the infinitely down part I think.

Actually, elevated is handled differently in Malifuax, so while measurements between models are done as if they were on a flat surface, elevation makes a huge difference when determining whether two models can hit each other with melee weapons.

And while in WoK they do not make an elevated distinction for being able to attack one another, they do specify that engaged means base to base. There is no additional qualifier that allows you to extend the base of the model upwards or downwards. Basically by RAW, if I was standing on a "stepped" hill with my base hanging over, and another model was below mine (even if our bases overlapped when looking from above the models) we would not be in base to base (since this is defined as touching one another) and we would not be engaged.

What WoK does is allow you to define the terrain, so you can define ahead of time that in this situation models will be considered in B2B contact.