July - "Gods and Monsters" Contest - Page 20
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: July - "Gods and Monsters" Contest

I think you need a small skeleton or something climbing out of the sharks mouth...but down deep....it would be hilarious...
    If you can name your paint colors blindfolded....you might be a brushlicker

I do not know why i have not been following this thread....there is some awesome work (and shenanigans) taking place.

Not a whole lot of time to paint the last few, but at least I got some basecoating done (and you can see the eyes are still there)
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

why does that give me flashes of the old black and white Disney cartoons,.. of the dancing skeletons?
    Last edited by Webmonkey; 07-14-2015 at 01:07 AM.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    why does that give me flashes of the old black and white Disney cartoons,.. of the dancing skeletons?
    Haha it does, not that you mention it.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    I do not know why i have not been following this thread....there is some awesome work (and shenanigans) taking place.
    Always is on these Webmonkey contests, as we make it a relaxed and fun time. We don't make it rule heavy and we encourage each other too.

Jike ....I used that blue water effect , it doesn't go transparent it goes a little opaque but that's it . I wasn't happy with it at the way I used it first but does make a nice effect to paint it to look like water.

Yeah, true Terrafirma. It got to an opaque state, not totally transparent. I'll use it as base for building more waves. I'll make an update on progress later today.

On to the bone on the lower body.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Love this thread, so many goodies.

Glottkin is nearly finished. Just a few bits and bobs to do.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

l Iike the Skelly! On the second view it looks like a very very happy undead.
    I'm imagining him beeing on a heavy metal concert, his arm straight into the air giving devil finger pose l,,l ROOooooock oN!

Some more things done on the white swimmer. As you can see I painted over the water effect. I'm not very satisfied right now. It looks very unrealistic. Miles to go to the thing I'm aiming at. Still I can use this as basis for further painting.
    Another feature is still missing too. The eyes are not painted and filled with resin. Best things last, hopefully that will give a nice result.

P.S.: Oh my gosh. Found a mold line on photo...hehehe, Why I overlooked it at the miniature for so long? Have to hide it beneath a water effect....pssst...you all saw nothing....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jike Ichi; 07-15-2015 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    Love this thread, so many goodies.

Glottkin is nearly finished. Just a few bits and bobs to do.
    then I'd better pull my finger out and get a move on with mine :P

Slowly getting there. Conversions are done. Now it's onto the painting

All very interesting!! I think some people from the initial list is still missing... c'mon join us!

Pictures of my second and third step:
    some green stuff, some plastic putty, some polishing and everything temporary assembled and in place. (left part of pic)
    First time airbrushing a serious mini here!! got to repeat the priming mix 4 times because I did not prepare enough xD (right part of the pic)
    I did have some "aribrush spiders" on the textil part of the cape because I put the tip of the airbrush too close to the mini, so I waited a bit and polished the primer with a little bit of steel wool nº0000 then repaint it again.

Time spent in total: 7 hours lol!! That doubles the time I am used to spend on a mini, obiously it includes the time I spent correcting my own errors xD
    Last edited by Maenas; 07-15-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Adding time spent.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

The frightmare is coming along...got the Main flesh tones done...shadows feel OK, but the highlights feel like they needs...more, but will ruin it if I go higher, so I'm at odds with myself....

Unfortunately, I am currently dealing with a posting issue, so pics are lost atm...
    If you can name your paint colors blindfolded....you might be a brushlicker

Colour scheme roughly blocked in and started oils on the elf rider.

Pics coming soon.

went a bit heavier on the skin shading, hopefully it shows up a bit better. Don't want to go too much further as it will make it start to look too "unreal" in person. Also, the background color change might have helped it not seem so "washed out". Now, I have to decide on his lightning bolt color,..pale yellow?,... blue??.. other???

Now it's starting to get interesting. So many great new WIP pictures.

That is one lovely miniature Maenas! I use airbrush too on my miniatures, but I still prime them with bottle primer. I use my airbush to get one or two higlights to use as guide for later painting. it's also very good to cover greater flat surfaces (on vehicles) smoothly. I'm far from the level of Angel Giraldez, who can airbrush small details like a laser guided missle.
    If you add cleaning time of aribrush to overall painting process you are not faster as a beginner. With some training though it is a great help. I still a need brush to finish my models, but now it's just up to the fun part of painting.

@webmonkey. It looks better I think. I would go for a blue lightning. Are you planning to give the tunica a shine (OSL) form the lightning bolt. Blue (or yellow)?

Good thing: My miniature is finished, except small details. Bad thing: my camera is broken. So you have to wait until weekend when I make final pictures at a friend's place. No more WiPs. I'm quite happy with the outcome, the resin eyes look good, but I'm not sure I can get it on camera.
    Water effects are finished now. I used silicone on top of the vallejo one, then I painted it all over with the liquid vallejo effect to smoothen surfaces. Today I'll add some extra water splashes with the hot plastic technic.

Painting was difficult as it not very good to paint on a layer that isn't completly dry Good thing of that free dry time: I finished an other long time painting project. The Origenart "Mujer Fauno"

P.s.: I need good sleep now....or a good strong coffee
    Last edited by Jike Ichi; 07-16-2015 at 12:38 AM.

Just more basecoating. Time is not cooperating at the moment haha.
    I took two pics just so you can see how the eyes appear and disappear based on angle. I didn't move the mini - just moved the light source from below the eyes to above.

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Yeah,.. I was gonna try my hand at some OSL. But that's why I need to figure out the lightning bolt color, because that'll determine the OSL color. Blue is good,.. but how to do it without it coming off as an "ice shard" instead?? hrmm,.. gonna have to give this some thought.