Khavor's New WIPs
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Khavor's New WIPs

Default Khavor's New WIPs

So, after taking a couple of years off from all things hobby related to finish a shiny new degree, I'm all graduated now and itching to work on a new project. Rather than promote the unholy art of threadomancy I thought I'd start a new WIP to post whatever odd ramblings I find myself working on. My old WIP thread can be found here though for any who are curious:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Khavor-s-WIPs

Since I've forgotten how to do just about everything necessary to complete a model, I'm starting out slow. My new degree has prompted a new job as well, so I'm in the process of moving and cleaning out the closet. For several years now I've had this cluttering up my space.

Name:  61a76cdb-9679-4dc5-afae-98eafab06df0.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  255.2 KB

I built this out of foam core board, Captain Crunch cereal boxes, and about a pound of superglue a very long time ago (right after the old GW metal one came out in the late 90s). Using the "If you haven't played with it in 10 years you probably aren't going to" rule, I've decided to get rid of it. But, inspired by Blackadder, and a bit embarrassed by the lack of detail, I've decided I have to make it better first. Over the years I've collected a fair amount of bits to go with it, and I'm going to see how much the old Thunderhawk can be improved over the next week or so before I put her up on the auction block. To document my starting point though, here are a couple more pics as she stands now:

Name:  IMG_3912.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  229.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3911.jpg
Size:  263.9 KB

So, not bad, but not great either. Let's see what we can do about that...
    Last edited by khavor; 05-16-2020 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Removed photobucket host links

For something made out of foam board and cereal boxes, that sure is amazing. I'd swear it was a primed plastic kit.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    For something made out of foam board and cereal boxes, that sure is amazing. I'd swear it was a primed plastic kit.
    I agree...Fantastic job!

I'm sure it will do well on the auction house.

Well, progress is a little slow with packing and working on our current house, but I've done a little. One of the uglier features of the old thunderhawk was the gunner positions I made way back when by just sawing the top off a cookie-cutter space marine and plopping him into a blob of epoxy putty in a PVC ring like so:

Name:  IMG_3926.jpg
Size:  103.7 KB

Over the years I've had a couple of whirlwinds that got turned into rhinos, and a friend tried his hand at resin casting, so I have a full set of whirlwind turrets to use as upgrades! I also decided to loose the wonky old targeters that stuck up over their heads, so filled the space with a bit from the old mk 1 rhino tail light strip. A little green stuff was required to fill the gaps and air bubbles:

Name:  IMG_3931.jpg
Size:  176.2 KB

Unfortunately the new turrets were slightly smaller than the old ones, so I needed to cut some new plates to go on the hull to conceal the unsightly blemishes, and cut away so the new bits could recess into the existing card. I used a Raisin Bran box for the new card rather than Capn' Crunch. It's a sign of maturity I suppose.I like that in the pic you can see down inside where it's all just matte board and hot glue.

Name:  IMG_3928.jpg
Size:  237.7 KB
    Last edited by khavor; 05-16-2020 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Removed photobucket host links

In the last three weeks I've both moved and started a new job, so hobby time has been short. I didn't get the thunderhawk put back together and sold before the move, so now it's packed away in a box of foam peanuts and on hold. I have finally gotten my new room set up somewhat though, and have been doing a bit of painting. Nothing exciting, just an old space marine to go with my Night Lords, but this is one of my favorite old models. After not painting much for a long time I'm just enjoying myself.

Well built mate that's epic look forwards to seeing this progress (Blackadder needs to watch out lol)
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

I've finished my corrupted old school space marine. Pretty happy with him, despite a couple flaws. Went to my new local gaming store week before last and was excited to find they had a selection of Bombshell minis! Next up is Raven Skye. Still need to build her a base though. Can't decide between urban sci-fi and fantasy Alice in Wonderland sort of thing...

Name:  IMG_3988.jpg
Size:  284.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_3991.jpg
Size:  328.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3969.jpg
Size:  139.3 KB
    Last edited by khavor; 05-16-2020 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Removed photobucket host links

Steampunk princess leia? i like t he classic night lord
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Alight bud been highly anticipating this from you,show me Greg smalling!!!

TThere it is old school beautiful painting.something to be proud of.

Lol... I'm not sure an old guy with bad eyesight and dried out paints can show much, but I'll see what I can do.
    I think I'm going to have to spend some time getting a new photo setup working though. Quick and dirty with the desk lamp isn't cutting it.

So, it's been a while since the last post...
    Moving, starting a new job, selling a house, and getting re-acquainted with the family after a few years of constant school and homework have made it difficult to find painting time. But things seem to be settling down a bit now and I've been finding more time to paint. Steampunk princess Leia is still waiting at the edge of the table, but I chose a simpler project first - An even older space marine model! (Yeah, I know, space marines, my wife hates them too...)

This is another one of my favorite old models. I had one of these models in my original rogue trader army, then later repainted him as a Space Wolf for 2nd ed. Before we moved I sold my old space wolf army, including all of my old favorites, so I figured I needed a replacement!

Name:  2016_03_19_11_15_51.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  49.5 KB
    Name:  2016_03_19_11_15_53.jpg
Size:  43.9 KB

And of course he's shorter than his newer buddies, so he needs a lift from his base...

Name:  2016_03_19_11_15_07.jpg
Size:  114.8 KB
    Last edited by khavor; 05-16-2020 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Removed photobucket host links

Old school, I like !!
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Old school, I like !!
    Oh yeah! Looking good
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Extremely fantastic Greg!!!!

by the way guys this site is written by -presenting- one of the most winningest GOLDEN DEMON STATUETTE WINNERS IN THE HISTORY OF N American golden demons -
    GREG SMALLING!!! Enjoy.

Damn... So much for keeping a low profile... :P

Thanks guys! Been painting quite a lot this weekend since it's kind of cold a rainy here, so more pics to come.

BaM has called all of us golden at one time or another... But only the truly special get orange writing!

Welcome me back to the mad mini world, and I for one look forward to learning a heap from you.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

I mainly clicked on this to see if someone had stolen the Khavor handle.

He's looking good, I think eventually you're going to have to pick up Kurze!