TheLost WIP - Page 14
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: TheLost WIP

No, I did not. I'll check it out. Looks like the next meeting is October 5th? Are you keen on going there and meeting up?

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    No, I did not. I'll check it out. Looks like the next meeting is October 5th? Are you keen on going there and meeting up?
    That'd be cool! I haven't been there in a while, so it'll be nice to go. The competition I'm hoping to enter will be the following Saturday.
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    Just as a suggestion if you have an airbrush hit the two areas with a mid to light grey starting close, then pulling away so that you get a key point and then a fade.
    That way you can work the OSL up without overpowering the ‘dark ‘ areas.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Just as a suggestion if you have an airbrush hit the two areas with a mid to light grey starting close, then pulling away so that you get a key point and then a fade.
    That way you can work the OSL up without overpowering the ‘dark ‘ areas.
    Thanks for the tip sir! An additional question... do you only paint the color of the light over the grey, or do you paint the color of the stone, and then add the color of the lights? The process gets confusing...I can never tell if the color of the material beneath the light is painted its normal color, or if it's just painted the color of the light. My guess is that it is a mixture of both.
    TheLost

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    My guess is that it is a mixture of both.
    You’d be correct.
    Candles mights be a yellowish cast all around fading out, but for the centre of the light from the sconce hitting the stone it’d be the stone colour much lightened towards white and then faded out.
    Don’y forget to include a shadow of the pillar with any sharp edges of the shadow picking up tiny touches of the candlelight.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    You’d be correct.
    Candles mights be a yellowish cast all around fading out, but for the centre of the light from the sconce hitting the stone it’d be the stone colour much lightened towards white and then faded out.
    Don’y forget to include a shadow of the pillar with any sharp edges of the shadow picking up tiny touches of the candlelight.

So complicated!! lol
    TheLost

After my blunder with the OSL wizard , I thought I would just paint a simple model for my upcoming competition..only about a week away!! I chose a male knight from dark sword miniatures..started with a really simple base, and wanted to go with a fall look (more to go); it came out kinda dry in my opinion. Picture isn't the best with the lighting...anyone know of a cheap light box set up and what color light would be best for taking pictures?

Hopefully will be able to paint more this weekend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191004_052537.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	474.4 KB 
ID:	76056
    TheLost

Good luck in your upcoming comp, and getting him done in a week!! I know I couldn’t do it... as for taking pics I prefer LED lights the closest I can get to pure white. Before I go a macromat I just used a black t shirt over a box for a backdrop... it worked fine as long as I adjusted my lighting so you couldn’t see it. But then again I’m not known for my mini photography it’s mediocre at best but gets the job done. Look at amazon for some led desk lamps for a cheaper option for light, and I’ve heard of people covering them with parchment paper (white) to diffuse the light to reduce hotspots.

Good luck in the comp and same here (I would be lucky if I had the base coat down in one week). Really nice mini and base. Also, there are some light-boxes on amazon for fairly cheap, but would probably suggest using your own lights if you have them as the ones they come with them probably aren't great (if you get something under $30). I prefer daylight (5000K) led bulbs since I use a couple table and floor lamps, but like Sik I am currently not the greatest photographer of minis either. And just noticed that Tommie Soule just updated his beginner photo help so that might be worth taking a look at.
    Last edited by ekipage; 10-05-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Sik Willy and ekipage: Thanks for the luck So far, it doesn't look like I'm gonna make it to the comp, but still gonna try. All of life's little hassles keep getting the way of painting time lol. Don't know if I can paint a mini well in 3 days, but who knows. Challenge accepted lol.

Also, thanks for the info on the light boxes..will check them out.
    TheLost

No prob man I hope you make it, Sam Lenz once told me he won a big comp with a mini he spent 12 hours on... so you never know man just do your best!!

Sam Lenz is far more talented than I am, that's for sure lol.. unfortunately it looks like I won't be going. But it's all good..it'll allow me to spend some time on the model and paint it well as I learn new techniques, rather than rushing it and painting it the wrong way.
    TheLost

There will always be another competition you can take it to, and that one will be more satisfying if you bring your best work. I'm eager to see this piece come along.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    There will always be another competition you can take it to, and that one will be more satisfying if you bring your best work. I'm eager to see this piece come along.
    Absolutely agree! Hoping to get some painting in on Monday... too many hobbies (not just model projects) going on at the same time lol...
    TheLost

Completely understand about the too many hobbies problem! Regardless if you are having fun than it is worth it. Little bits of plastic/resin/metal aren't going anywhere if you leave them for a bit....well, unless your little ones, pet(s) and/or significant other decide that they should play with/chew on/move them (respectively)