TheLost WIP - Page 17
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: TheLost WIP

I think Miniac did some yt videos on the style that might be of help.

Juan Hidalgo's channel on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe8...SSRgfpuML04SUg
    He has a bunch of videos names named "'Evy Contrast Marines XXX", the style is very much 'Evy Metal but I think he puts his own (good) spin on it.

right on, thank you both! Both youtube channels have a ton of stuff!
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Been inactive a little bit on here, but still creating! Got a couple more bases done, and even started making my own plinths...best one I've made so far below! Enjoy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200811_041332.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	80229

Name:	20200810_150132.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	80230 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200811_041354.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	670.4 KB 
ID:	80231

Name:	20200810_150145.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	691.5 KB 
ID:	80232 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200810_150215.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	80233
    TheLost

nice bases, especially the urban/ruins one.
    Forgot, that it works again.

like the composition on the bases.

/k
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Blog Entries

I really like that base with the skeleton. I dig how the bricks are all wapperjawed.

Great work
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

@ SaintToad - LOL...you said wapperjawed

Thanks all
    TheLost

Yeah buddy, baseitis! You got it good. I really like the diversity you have going on, really nice workmanship as well.

WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

@ Flaming Tiki - Thanks!! I think this is gonna be a basing WIP log for a while lol...

And with that, a basing question!

Does this look like "too much" base for the miniature? Its one of the dwarves from Scibor Miniatures. I feel like the length of the base is too long (just under 4 inches or 10 cm). I was thinking of cutting it down by about 3/4 of an inch (or 2 cm), because it would allow for more focus on the mini, but will leave less room for natural details. I'm kinda torn..I do have some minis that would look pretty good on the base as is, but at the same time I really want to use this dwarf model. Thoughts? Thanks!

Name:	20200831_224054.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	80387
    TheLost

This is a tough question ...

I'm not really objective here because I tend to build larger and larger bases (who said dioramas?) For not some many minis so ...
    And I have some ideas fro future project even "worse" in this regard...

Anyway, that beeing said, I think it's mainly an issue where you must not loose the mini in the base.
    So, in that regard, I think you're base is doing the job as the mini is clearly identified and there is no doubt about that.

But, and this is only my opinion: I think the currently display is too bulcky.

Let me try to explain myself:

The mini is really cool and I love the pose. He looks really powerfull, for me it's not just a dwarf, it's a king.
    Though, the global shape of the mini is like a rock, push to the extreme, we can see it as a globe.

So in order to play with that, I would have add more verticality to the scene.

I like you idea to place him in top of a mountain, contemplating his kingdom with pride.

The thing that bothers me is the right side of the scene. I think there is too much mass on this part, I would have incrise the inclination to really place him on some kind of estale foot.

Again, it's just my opinion.

I am of two minds here. It does look cool with the size you have it right now, but since the figure is just primed white it kind of looks lost in all the color of the rocks. If you are leaving the rocks the color they are, you might have a challenge making the figure stand out unless you do a really bright silver or gold but if done right I think it would make an awesome dio for the figure or maybe add some crumbling wall bits to the far right side like he is overlooking battlements or something. However if you are painting over the rocks to make them grey tones, then you might have an easier time choosing a color scheme for the figure.

The other thought is you could almost cut the base in half (right after the rock he is standing on) and it would look really nice as well, like he was overlooking a battle or his lands from a high vantage point.

If you really want to go wild, leave as is, and make it a river starting in the cut out below the figure going down that path to the right

imo half the base would be enough for the dwarf figure. This base would be much better for a diorama/vignettte/duel/for a larger figure.

what I'd do: keep the base for some future project, rebuild the left side (lit about left half) as the structure looks great and this way having more focus on the figure.

edit:
    after reading dexter's comment: a solution could be to remove the top 2 layers from the right side (basically to the large rock) and add a small shrine/tomb there as the dwarf is looking at the tomb of an ancestor or something.
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 09-02-2020 at 06:51 AM.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Hey all, thank for the feedback!

I should have clarified that this base is in the very early stages of building (no colors/priming yet). The center part is actually gonna be a river, and there will be some trees to provide vertical lines and a "frame" to the entire piece. I added a little bit of height to the right side to give the river some "depth." Ultimately, I want it to look like this dwarf is some kind of adventurer taking in a forest scene, or maybe a guard on patrol stopping off at his favorite spot. Not sure yet. Again, thanks for the feedback!
    TheLost

In the light of those informations I can see where you're going with this and the composition make way more sense.
    It's funny though how we all have our own vision for the same mini. Really interesting.

I'm looking forward to see more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    In the light of those informations I can see where you're going with this and the composition make way more sense.
    It's funny though how we all have our own vision for the same mini. Really interesting.

I'm looking forward to see more of it.
    Right?! One of the cool things about this hobby...one model can inspire a whole range of interpretations!
    TheLost

Like ekipage, I’m in two minds about the dwarf base. Shortening it a little will help the dwarf be first and foremost. Leaving it as is will convey a message as to how diminutive a dwarf is compared to his surrounds. It could also provide atmosphere regarding him being lost and up against it all.

I would say if you are adding in the water and forest bits, then I think it might look really nice a little longer as it would give you more room to play with and convey the image you have.