TheLost WIP - Page 18
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: TheLost WIP

Since everyone else is chipping in, I'll add my own $0.02
    I think this will be a really cool project, and I like the composition with the sloping bottom and the rocks going from large in the upper left corner to smaller in the lower left.
    The scene is trying to drag my eyes into that corner on the lower right. It might turn out to be a great focal point for... something?
    That said, the mini doesn't look out of place where it is.
    Please carry on, and show us what you come up with!

@ bullfrog - that's the idea!

@ekipage - definitely!

@ Gorb - thanks for the input! I'm working on adding a lot of the details and will have an update soon
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Hey all...so I decided to join a kitbash competition on IG that ends on Oct. 10..the theme is "character evolution." I decided to do a freebooter ork that progresses from a simple raider to some kind of nob leader to a Kaptin. But, I need some base ideas.. I was thinking of doing a raided location or two, and then a "ship" base for the Kaptin. Any ideas? thank
    TheLost

Here's my first conversion for this contest I'm doing..not likely to finish in time..as always, but meh..at least it's got me building and converting some models!

original for reference
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200928_213634.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	674.0 KB 
ID:	80654

My conversions..

Name:	20200928_213505.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	825.1 KB 
ID:	80655 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200928_213524.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	702.9 KB 
ID:	80656 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200928_213543.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	680.0 KB 
ID:	80657

It's still WIP, but to be honest, I'm not too crazy about the little flag since it's blocking the choppa..any suggestions on something else? Or removing it entirely?
    TheLost

Nice conversion!
    Agree on the flag though.
    Maybe replace it by a pole a little more on the right, based on the ground, like if he is trying to get his arm around it if you know what I mean.

I agree. I would base the flag in your base rather than on the model, as well as maybe move more over his left shoulder?

Thanks for the feedback so far

I edited the flag out to see if I like it better, and I do. However, I feel like something needs to be added to give this guy a "freebooter" vibe. I will likely add some kind of banner in the background of the base.

Name:	20200928_213543.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	673.1 KB 
ID:	80668
    TheLost

That is a super cool kitbash!

To be honest, I ever know what to do with these themes. "character evolution"? Dammit Jim, I'm a miniature painter not a script writer!
    I like the direction you're taking him in though, and I agree with the removal of the flag. You could have some tattered flags hanging off half-size/broken poles sticking out of the rubble in front of him?

Blog Entries

great kitbash! Love that big honkin shoota!

@ gorb: Thanks Definitely going with the tattered flag in the background..I like the idea Will allow me to design an ork "jolly roger" flag.

@ SaintToad: haha thanks! big gunz seem to be a theme with the freebooters. Still gotta figure out what to give the ork to make him look like more of a pirate!

Ended up taking the entire back piece off the ork, might give him some kind of boarding shield.
    TheLost

Hey all...been trying to paint lately, and I'm using scale 75 and reaper paints.. have a problem though... I'm using a Redgrass Games wet palette, and my paints are going on the model too grainy. Does anyone know why that might be? Also, when I thin down the paint, it becomes too watery and grainy as well..does anyone use a different substance other than water to thin down scale 75? I find water ruins the binding properties between the pigment and the binding medium.
    TheLost

I like using Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver or Golden's Glaze Medium (bought the satin before I realized they had matte version) or a touch of water. I will just put a drop or three of the Flow Improver or Glaze Medium on the pallet and pick up a drop or two to mix in with the paint Now I am still a noob with SC75 so there will probably be better suggestions on what to use to thin them out. Also, did you shake the living bejeezus out of the SC75, it should come out of the bottle looking pretty thick. If not, it could be you just aren't getting it mixed enough so it might not be an issue with the water. I also noticed theSC75 paints seem to absorb the water much quicker (like over night) and become unusable for my skill level
    Last edited by ekipage; 10-17-2020 at 01:38 PM.

I have the same Redgrass wet palette, if its the one from their kickstarter awhile back. I have noticed if you put to much water into the palette in can mix with your paints over time watering them down. I used to have grainy paint, when I only used just water to thin my paints, but I have since changed and now I use equal parts Liquitex matte medium to paint, and 1-2 drops of Liquitex flow-aid. I very rarely use any water in my paints any more unless I am creating my own wash.

@ ekipage: Shaking the paints was definitely one of my issues..thanks!

@Guawol: Thanks for the advice! Will have to check out the Liquitex products. Water certainly seems to thin the paint down too quickly.
    TheLost

Love the orc conversion. I didn't even think about the Blood Bowl minis, but I may have to take a look at them to see if any are relevant for my work. My own orcs are currently on a back burner, as Papa Nurgle has swayed my attentions.

Quote Originally Posted by EaterofLives View Post
    Love the orc conversion. I didn't even think about the Blood Bowl minis, but I may have to take a look at them to see if any are relevant for my work. My own orcs are currently on a back burner, as Papa Nurgle has swayed my attentions.
    Thanks! I'm actually gonna convert a 5 man group into fantasy pirates lol..I caught the conversion bug! Here's another one I'm doing! Working on the swords as I type this! I felt like the swords were too big, but as I "sharpen" them, I think they'll be suitably ork sized! more pictures to come!

Name:	20201025_221814.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	951.0 KB 
ID:	80962
    TheLost

Swords sharpened! Still WIP of course...

Name:	20201026_144854.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	583.6 KB 
ID:	80964
    TheLost

one better have a peg leg (or even better a sword for a leg, since you are going the fantasy route otherwise I would say gun for a leg) Nice work the conversion of this figure

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    one better have a peg leg (or even better a sword for a leg, since you are going the fantasy route otherwise I would say gun for a leg) Nice work the conversion of this figure
    My orks have a couple with replacement legs. I used the barrel of a shoota for one of them, and a rocket on another. Orks are another race with a lot of flexibility in the conversion work, so it can be great fun to make them all have their own character. The 100-some-odd greenskins I have, all have a little something special done to them. Also played a few games of Gorkamorka with them, to give some background behind each. (for any who are familiar, yes, my army hails from Angelis, they stopped squabbling, finished the hulk, and made their way off planet to the great Waaagh!!!)

@ ekipage - Thanks! Definitely gonna do one with a peg leg and probably a hook - I'll make that one look a little more "nautical" themed. Will do one with a brace of pistols, one with a custom blunderbuss (if I can figure out how to make one), and one as the "leader" of the gang.

@ EaterofLives - I do love the customizability of orks...one of the best things about them - almost anything works!
    TheLost