TheLost WIP - Page 20
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: TheLost WIP

Base is looking really good, can't wait to see it all painted up with the figure on it!

Can be a number of factors about why your paint is drying, are you closing the lid fully when stopping, how much water is in the tray, maybe the paper isn't letting enough water through... Also, the climate you are in can effect it quite a bit, so if it is really dry where you are then that can reduce the effectiveness of the palette to keep the paint wet. If there isn't a lot of paint to begin with spreading out increases surface area so it will dry out. Depending on how much paint I have put down I usually get a day or three of working time with it (then it is either too watery or it has dried up).

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Base is looking really good, can't wait to see it all painted up with the figure on it!

Can be a number of factors about why your paint is drying, are you closing the lid fully when stopping, how much water is in the tray, maybe the paper isn't letting enough water through... Also, the climate you are in can effect it quite a bit, so if it is really dry where you are then that can reduce the effectiveness of the palette to keep the paint wet. If there isn't a lot of paint to begin with spreading out increases surface area so it will dry out. Depending on how much paint I have put down I usually get a day or three of working time with it (then it is either too watery or it has dried up).
    Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for the info! I think I've caught the hobby bug again I've been working on a sci-fi base (probably one of my best so far) even though I'm supposed to be focusing on painting lol... I really don't know why I love base building the most, but I DO!
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Updates are coming in a little slower than I'd like, but I've been working 60+ hours a week lately. Started painting another old project... started with the ground work.. I'm trying "Kujo Painting's" techniques for stone and dirt... I really like his work, but I'm not able to replicate his results too well. There's a lot of color variation in the dirt, but my camera didn't pick it up. Here's what I got so far...Still need to paint the stone in the middle, the brick, trees/plants, and a few other elements. I like it, but it can be improved. Should have better pictures soon too, once I get my light box.

How do you guys like the gravestone and the statue head?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210426_091450.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	82493
    Last edited by TheLost; 04-26-2021 at 07:43 PM.
    TheLost

Nice work on the dirt + statue. I see there are some skulls hidden in the dirt too. Who's gonna be the lucky occupant of this pretty base?

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    Nice work on the dirt + statue. I see there are some skulls hidden in the dirt too. Who's gonna be the lucky occupant of this pretty base?
    The duskwarden from reaper miniatures. Skulls still need to be painted too.
    Last edited by TheLost; 04-29-2021 at 12:45 PM.
    TheLost

Which one? Kaer Maga? that one would look cool

Name:  60150_w_1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  32.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dudemeister View Post
    Which one? Kaer Maga? that one would look cool
    The Jakob one with the sword and severed zombie looking head. It was a reapercon model I think.
    TheLost

That's the one!
    TheLost

I wasn't supposed to post this yet, as I haven't finished old projects, and this project is one of my best bases so far, but whatever lol.. my best sci-fi/war-torn base so far... for a Raging Heroes "sisters of battle" terminator style model. Enjoy WILL NOT be painting it for a while...at least until I get a little better.

Composition

Name:	20200518_153044.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	82521

Column Details

Name:	20200518_153113.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	687.2 KB 
ID:	82522 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200519_214641.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	652.6 KB 
ID:	82523

Ground Details

Name:	20200528_185109.jpg 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	82524 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200611_201311.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	82525

Additional Details

Name:	20200615_104713.jpg 
Size:	692.7 KB 
ID:	82526 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200615_124936.jpg 
Size:	686.0 KB 
ID:	82527

Primed and ready to paint - I love how primer brings it all together!

Name:	20200616_205954.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	817.0 KB 
ID:	82528
    TheLost

Newbie, please be gentle MrNoNameSoldier1977's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I first got into mini's it was all about the mini. As time has gone on, and I've gotten older I've found I get just as much, maybe even more enjoyment out of designing the base and decorations that go with it. I think it's something about the creative part of building it, or maybe bringing the creative vision of what you see in the mini to life? Either way I like the bases. I've been working on a few for some vehicles myself lately. Inspired by my military experiences, and some pics I've taken over the years.
    "Yes I really am a soldier"

"Then why do you suck at this game so much?"

"Because in real life when I shoot at you, you don't jump around like a F@%*$*# rabbit!"

Oh man, that's one heck of a base. Inspiring work!

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoNameSoldier1977 View Post
    When I first got into mini's it was all about the mini. As time has gone on, and I've gotten older I've found I get just as much, maybe even more enjoyment out of designing the base and decorations that go with it. I think it's something about the creative part of building it, or maybe bringing the creative vision of what you see in the mini to life? Either way I like the bases. I've been working on a few for some vehicles myself lately. Inspired by my military experiences, and some pics I've taken over the years.
    We're definitely on the same page! Base building is my absolute favorite part of the hobby... it's what tells the story, gives the mini "life," and it's what makes your copy of a mass-produced mini unique. Happy modeling!
    TheLost

Quote Originally Posted by GingerBat View Post
    Oh man, that's one heck of a base. Inspiring work!
    Thank you!! Hoping to get better and better!
    TheLost

Dude that is a magnificent base. Well done!

Dude that is a magnificent base. Well done!
    Thanks! Definitely one of my favorite so far. BTW Gorb, I was admiring your OSL work on that dreadnought in the swamp piece you did... would LOVE a step-by-step or direction on how to paint that.. it looked so real!
    Last edited by TheLost; 05-07-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    TheLost

Amazing work on these bases, I wish I had half your zeal for making them. I think bases are the part I loathe to do even though I have a ton of junk to make them

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    Thanks! Definitely one of my favorite so far. BTW Gorb, I was admiring your OSL work on that dreadnought in the swamp piece you did... would LOVE a step-by-step or direction on how to paint that.. it looked so real!
    Thank you very much! I can oblige, if you don't mind me hijacking your thread for a minute

It was fairly straightforward: While painting I still had the dred removable from the base, so I positioned my airbursh about where the spot light would be, and shot some white ink at the tree / cloth, kinda like using a zenithal highlight, using my airbrush like a flashlight.
    I faded it out towards the edges, like a spot light would do. Then I used a dark green to spray around the edges of the white highlight, this did two things: it helped blend the white back into the moss-covered tree, and darkened the halo around the light,
    making it seem more, well, light
    Then I painted liberally over the spotlight on the dred itself with white ink, rimmed it with a bit of yellow, and painted some glints of yellow around the hull of the dred, just to give it more of a glinty metal look.

There is not much more to it. Very simple. I am still very much learning how to do OSL. So it makes me very happy that you find the effect I created convincing!

BTW, are you lwhi556builder on IG?

Thank you very much! I can oblige, if you don't mind me hijacking your thread for a minute

It was fairly straightforward: While painting I still had the dred removable from the base, so I positioned my airbursh about where the spot light would be, and shot some white ink at the tree / cloth, kinda like using a zenithal highlight, using my airbrush like a flashlight.
    I faded it out towards the edges, like a spot light would do. Then I used a dark green to spray around the edges of the white highlight, this did two things: it helped blend the white back into the moss-covered tree, and darkened the halo around the light,
    making it seem more, well, light
    Then I painted liberally over the spotlight on the dred itself with white ink, rimmed it with a bit of yellow, and painted some glints of yellow around the hull of the dred, just to give it more of a glinty metal look.

There is not much more to it. Very simple. I am still very much learning how to do OSL. So it makes me very happy that you find the effect I created convincing!

BTW, are you lwhi556builder on IG?

Thanks so much, and no problem at all!! Did you go back and darken the shadows at all, or did the "zenithal" spray style miss the shadows?

MY IG is kotec_ltd. Has all my woodworking stuff
    TheLost

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Amazing work on these bases, I wish I had half your zeal for making them. I think bases are the part I loathe to do even though I have a ton of junk to make them
    Thanks!! I LOVE the base building phase but sometimes it's challenging.. with your painting skill, you'd paint some nice bases! Keep at it!
    TheLost