TheLost WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TheLost WIP

That's a nice looking mini mate. Difficult to critique your TMM as its not really showing up in the photo. There's a really good tutorial in the article section of CMoN (granted it tackles armour rather than swords though) I'll see if I can find it for you. best advice I can give is treat you TMM the same way you would NMM. Paint alternate dark, light, dark bands down one side of the blade and then the opposite on the other side (depending on how you want it to look and your light source) then paint in your brightest highlights. You can add interest with thin glazes of colour to represent the reflected surroundings.

edit: found it http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1649-metallics
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Darthmarsh; 09-14-2015 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks for the reply and the link to the article. I will definitely try it out. Looks like I may have to strip the paint on the sword to get a smooth finish with the new method.
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Lost , your diorama/base for the necron is a great idea but why not have the ground pounded , make the cork smashed like he has hit it instead of painting it on , it would be a lot more influential to how you want your figure to look. Your obelisks could be toppling over to show his power .
    have a look at one of the boys base for Harly Quin ,with smashed timber base. Zab did an awesome job of getting that scene to life.
    Proud owner of a Teronus TMM original.
    Carpe Diem Carpe Nocturne

That's the plan. I drew the lines in for a general idea of where they would go, and will carve them out later. I'm going to try to make it look like he hits the ground with his staff, and then have the cracks radiating from the impact point in the shape of the necron symbol. The edges of the cracks are going to be raised to enhance the look of the split. The obelisks are gonna look like they shot out of the ground too.

Thanks for the reference ideas too!
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

Sorry Lost I meant to say...the obelisks would look awesome cast out of plaster . Make a square tube of plaster then carve them down, I'm finding plaster to be a brilliant medium specially for making stone objects ..easy to carve ,brake ,crack
    Proud owner of a Teronus TMM original.
    Carpe Diem Carpe Nocturne

That's a good idea... I was thinking of getting a couple made by someone with a 3-D printer.

I found this on ebay and contacted the guy selling them and he said he can make some custom stuff for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ob2.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	41825

I'd prefer them to be without the base and solid. We'll see if he can do it, otherwise, I can try your idea with plaster; natural looking stone would look a lot better. Thanks again for the tips! I was going to use two obelisks about this size to frame the overlord in the piece.
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

Today I thought I'd try making a tree out of wire for yet another project I'm thinking about... this is what I made... let me know what you think. I was also thinking of dipping it in watered down durham's water putty a few times to get a good solid coat on the branches. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!!

Name:	IMG_2696.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	827.3 KB 
ID:	41886
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

Real good job on the tree mate
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Yeah, nice job on the tree. Coating it in some sort of putty would be a good idea. I haven't tried dipping one, but that's an interesting idea. You can apply the putty by hand, but it does get tedious on those small branches. I'll be interested to see how it turns out. If dipping works, I'll have to try that next time I do a tree.

I will certainly let you know Thanks
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

I didn't realize it has been almost 10 days since my last post, but I have been without a camera for a little while. Here's what I've been working on... I can't seem to focus on one project at a time...

I made another tree.. trying to make them look more interesting.

Name:	IMG_2722.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	621.1 KB 
ID:	42164

I also got my obelisks for my necron overlord piece. I had them custom made by a 3D printing company called Horizon Creation 3D. Real good quality, and affordable. My only complaint would be that the obelisks have to be heavily sanded to get rid of the layer lines from the printer, other than that, absolutely no complaints. Check them out at www.horizoncreation3d.com. They do custom pieces as well.

Name:	IMG_2733.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	718.8 KB 
ID:	42166

And finally, I started on a new project with a mini from Dark Sword Miniatures.

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	805.9 KB 
ID:	42167

The scene is going to be set in a really old ruined temple in the Fall. I'm also going to try and capture the illusion of wind blowing in the scene by placing small leaves in different locations, positions, and heights around the model. The vine around the column is twisted wire that's going to be covered with greenstuff. Hopefully it will actually look like a vine.

Like I said, I can't seem to concentrate on one project at a time, so tomorrow I'm going to try and paint.

Feedback is always welcome; thanks for looking!
    Last edited by TheLost; 08-29-2016 at 03:04 AM.
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

Some progress on my new piece. Comments and feedback always welcome.

Name:	IMG_2736.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	875.3 KB 
ID:	42212
    Last edited by TheLost; 08-29-2016 at 03:04 AM.
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

Hi TheLost - I've had a great time reading through your WIP so far.

I have to say that your basing is great - imaginative and always with the idea of tying in with the mini to tell a story. I'm still at remedial level basing - stone and grass. Will hopefully be able to move up in the world soon and your work will be a great inspiration for this paintress (and many others I'm sure).

No need to apologise for breaks - Real Life (TM) happens to all of us. And if your creativity leads you from project to project I say: go for it!
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Nice! I like the column and the vine growing around it. Very cool!

What you making the stones on the base out of? Is that magic sculpt or milliput? As an alternative, here's something you could try. Take a flat shallow container and pour plaster into it. Basically enough to make a thin layer on the bottom and let it dry. You can then use a hobby knife to cut the plaster to form your stones. If you want regular stones, use a ruler and pen to mark off a grid pattern.

The nice thing with the plaster is you can break up the stones to create rubble, use the hobby knife to cut away chips and draw in some thin cracks, or break and reassemble for some deep cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchArad View Post
    Hi TheLost - I've had a great time reading through your WIP so far.

I have to say that your basing is great - imaginative and always with the idea of tying in with the mini to tell a story. I'm still at remedial level basing - stone and grass. Will hopefully be able to move up in the world soon and your work will be a great inspiration for this paintress (and many others I'm sure).

No need to apologise for breaks - Real Life (TM) happens to all of us. And if your creativity leads you from project to project I say: go for it!
    Thanks so much!! Lately, I've enjoyed building bases a lot more, because, in my opinion, bases tell the story for the mini. I've learned a lot about basing from www.massivevoodoo.com (thanks David for telling me about them). They have a very extensive range of articles for mini painters. Thanks again for your kind comments, and welcome to the hobby
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Nice! I like the column and the vine growing around it. Very cool!

What you making the stones on the base out of? Is that magic sculpt or milliput? As an alternative, here's something you could try. Take a flat shallow container and pour plaster into it. Basically enough to make a thin layer on the bottom and let it dry. You can then use a hobby knife to cut the plaster to form your stones. If you want regular stones, use a ruler and pen to mark off a grid pattern.

The nice thing with the plaster is you can break up the stones to create rubble, use the hobby knife to cut away chips and draw in some thin cracks, or break and reassemble for some deep cracks.
    Hey David,

The stones are made out of magic sculpt. I used the rollers I got from green stuff world to make the texture on a flattened out piece of magic sculpt, let it dry, and then broke off pieces that I wanted. Your idea with the plaster will work a lot better I think, especially for plain stones. You think a pie tin would work as a container? Thanks for the suggestions
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

I got it!! A cookie tray!! lol
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

For those who are curious, here's what I did to make my tiles for my latest project.

First I mixed a good amount of magic sculpt together and tried to roll it out as flat as possible against a sheet of styrene. Use something the magic sculpt can stick to, otherwise it will peel when you roll the textured roller over it.

Once the magic sculpt was rolled out against the styrene I used one of my textured rollers I got from Green Stuff World and rolled out some nice tile mosaics that I thought would work well for a fantasy temple floor. Here are some pictures of what I was able to achieve after the magic sculpt dried up.

Name:	IMG_2738.JPG 
Views:	453 
Size:	869.3 KB 
ID:	42269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2739.JPG 
Views:	387 
Size:	763.9 KB 
ID:	42270

Bare in mind, I'm still trying to find the best way to do this method; as you can see some of the details didn't come out that well. Also, take into account the material you are using, as different sculpting mediums will react differently to pressure from rolling. For example, milliput will stick to the roller and clog the details, while ProCreate putty will roll out fairly smooth with little trouble. Trial and error is how I'm figuring it out at the moment. If anyone has done this before and has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!
    Last edited by TheLost; 10-15-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

A bit more progress on my latest piece.. I was finally able to decide on a tile pattern and picked my oval celtic pattern. I tried to make it look old and ruined, as the scene for the piece is supposed to be a long forgotten temple ruin. Enjoy! Comments and critique always welcome!

Initial set up of the floor:

Name:	IMG_2741.JPG 
Views:	386 
Size:	507.8 KB 
ID:	42271

More details added:

Name:	IMG_2745.JPG 
Views:	384 
Size:	698.7 KB 
ID:	42272

Most of the cracks and cork areas will be covered in dirt and grit later. Thanks for looking!
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

Those rollers seem like a great way to create interesting details fairly simply - I'm going to have to check their products out.

Temple floor looks perfect! When filling in the cracks would you load some glue in and then dust some dirt over the top?
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery