RogueShader's WIP and Project Log - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RogueShader's WIP and Project Log

Dreadnought looks cool and i like the yellow and smooth blends on the termi. Nice work mate

edit: I've just reread my post from earlier and even by my standards the spelling is shocking!!
    Last edited by Darthmarsh; 07-31-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Wow! This is some brilliant work! And because of you, I lost an hour looking at Camelson's work.

My blog : www.puregeek.ca

Every thing looks great! The termie is nicely battle damaged.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Many thanks all! I'm quite pleased with how he's coming along. Just need to get enough time together to finish the details and get him on some kind of cool base

i I know what you mean PureConstant. His work is awesome. Definitely drawing a lot of inspiration from it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darthmarsh View Post
    Dreadnought looks cool and i like the yellow and smooth blends on the termi. Nice work mate

edit: I've just reread my post from earlier and even by my standards the spelling is shocking!!
    Hah Darthmarsh, I got the drift, and thanks for the compliments. Now if only I could speed up the process so I can get a few squads of these guys together...

Environmental conditions are hindering my progress a bit unfortunately. Pretty hot temps in my area of the East Coast, U.S. at the moment and I'll be damned if the hardware responsible for cooling the upper floor of my house didn't just give out. The extra temps are making it harder and harder to keep the paint workable from Pallete to model. Makes the little details a real bitch.

May have to gather up my portable painting supplies and move down to the fully AC'd kitchen this coming week while I get someone in to take a look at it!!!

Dont worry to much about speed buddy. I've completed 1 diorama consisting of 2 figures in around 18 months! Paint next to the fridge with the door open. not only will it cool you and the paints but the beer will be really handily placed

Hey guys and gals, I finished up my Red Scorpion's Termie and whipped up a simple base depicting a ship corridor for him to stand in. I took him to the Capital Palette competition at the NOVA Open and was *floored* to be recognized with a Silver in the Sci-Fi Small category! This was the first time I'd competed in a painting competition since I entered the Youngbloods category in Golden Demon circa 1994. Taking into account the quality of the models on display it was quite the honor just to make the Finalist cut, let alone to place. The Infinity model that took Gold was bloody gorgeous and Caleb's "Badlands" submission was stunning! To even be mentioned in the same breath as some of these men/women was super awesome for me personally.

In any event, here's the finished piece... I just put him up on CMON here http://www.coolminiornot.com/386439 , if you have a quick second please vote I'd love to get some feedback on him!

love the EC dread in the first post, the termi looks awesome too, though i must admit i mistook it for a space wolf termi at first, thats what i get for looking at pretty pictures instead of reading posts..

I like it but i feel like the base got more detail and attention than the marine. The wall be hind him steals the show for me. He needs more grime and contrast on the grey. the yellow is great though
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    I like it but i feel like the base got more detail and attention than the marine. The wall be hind him steals the show for me. He needs more grime and contrast on the grey. the yellow is great though
    Thanks Zab, that's great feedback! I struggled with that as well. My original plan was to dirty him up and add the same kinds of streaking and grime I did on the wall. I held back since I had pictured the piece as taking place early on in a boarding action and I figured Astartes would keep their armor clean in between engagements even if they wouldn't be able to repair all of the nicks / scratches / cracks while in theater.

I think I was thinking about it too much though because I think you're right that there is an unintentional contrast between the "damaged but clean" look of the armor and the gritty, worn nature of the ship corridor.

Thanks for the thoughtful insights! I think the next GW piece I start may be 30K so its a great opportunity to go for grimey

-Jeff

Yeah we all overthink things sometimes. I have had a disconnect between bases and figures in the past too so i know your struggle well Plus it's always scary to dirty up a nice PJ o_O Will this work or am I gonna ruin all my hard work?!

I was also so inspired by watching how great the stuff Roman and Raffa pumped out in limited time during seminars at the NOVA Open that I challenged myself on Sunday to see what I could get done on a model in about 5 hours on Sunday night from un-assembled metal to "done". I also was inspired to work with some more muted, less saturated tones and see if I could achieve a more realistic effect on this guy as opposed to the highly saturated stuff I usually do. I'm going to play with this more as I like the effect.

This is what I came up with. Was a fun exercise to be sure! Lots more I'd like to do in terms of damage and detailing / smoothing, but given how slow I usually paint I was impressed with how far I got before the clock was up

That's funny. i painted up a quick mini the other day too to make a how to video for a friend. That is just great though! 5HRS for real?!

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    That's funny. i painted up a quick mini the other day too to make a how to video for a friend. That is just great though! 5HRS for real?!
    Yup, lots more I wanted to do... Wanted to beat up the armor a bit and his face needs much more contrast but it was lots of fun to see what I could do with a limited time. At the end I was just slopping paint on the base (at one point literally flicking ink on it to make the oil spots) :P

Fun too to see a whole mini come together in one sitting plus playing with some new techniques.

Got a little time tonight to slap some paint on Eidolon.... trying to up the ante on my EC's on this one...

Pretty happy with where the armor is going, definitely need to re-work the bottom of that tabbard. The rips and weathering don't look right, not diggin it.

Name:  IMG_2638.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  848.8 KB
    Last edited by RogueShader; 10-29-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Crickey, that's some amazing stuff, mate. Superb colour and details.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Hey guys and gals... been super bad about keeping my WIP thread up to date. While last weekend was *not* my first Adepticon, it was the first time I actually entered something in Crystal Brush. I put this Pan-O Aquila Guard into the contest and was super psyched to make the cut given the quality of the minis this year!! Congrats to all the winners, I can't imagine having had to make those decisions myself!

Attachment 47976

Attachment 47977
    Last edited by RogueShader; 04-08-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Hmmm, attachments are broken right now... But I loved your entry. Also just browsed through your thread, very nice work here. You should keep it updated!