Disappointment of the week. Finally got Arcadia Quest. Got it in damaged box

Thread: Disappointment of the week. Finally got Arcadia Quest. Got it in damaged box

Unhappy Disappointment of the week. Finally got Arcadia Quest. Got it in damaged box

Waring, this is sorta a rant (and some whining) but I need to vent!

After The Secret Cabal's fantastic review I finally ordered Arcadia Quest for €80 together with Zahra and Nibbles. Not from my FLGS because they didn't had it in stock but trough a dutch online board game store.

Man I couldn't get more excited! Read trough the rules and the FAQ, read the forums, watched every video, started planning the foamcore insert I planned to make!
    For the first time in a long long time I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas.
    So, after some delays because AQ wasn't in stock after all, today was finally the day!

So I get the package and I see this.

"Oh no". That lousy thing some board game retailers do where they cut out the box in order to save on packaging material. I just spend €80 on the core set alone and another €10 for shipping! I'm staring to get pist.

And yes. Of course. As soon as I opened up the plastic wrapping the crumbling of the box lid became apparent.

And when I removed the lid from the box...

Yeah. The thing was ripped.

I know to some of you this isn't a big deal. But I love my boardgames. I treat them pretty much like they would my own children. Always handling, transporting and storing them with great care. So getting a boxed send to you already damaged because the store like to save up on packing materials is, at the moment of unpacking, heartbreaking. Especially on what is now my most expensive board game purchase as of yet.

The store offered me €10 discount on my next purchase and that's that.

There should be some universal board game service where you can pay publishers to send you an empty box every time the local store messes up shipping. :/

The good news though, I finally got AQ and all the great miniatures and artwork have eased the pain.
    Can't wait to break this bad boy in this weekend!

Thanks for letting me vent.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Which store was this? I'd like to know, since this is the kind of thing that will make me consider not using them.

The store was Summoner.nl

They were overall pretty friendly and they have pretty reasonable prices for most games.

But yeah. Next time they have something I want I will be pretty hesitant to order there again. Especially when it's a more expansive product like AQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahan View Post
    I know to some of you this isn't a big deal. But I love my boardgames. I treat them pretty much like they would my own children. Always handling, transporting and storing them with great care. So getting a boxed send to you already damaged because the store like to save up on packing materials is, at the moment of unpacking, heartbreaking. Especially on what is now my most expensive board game purchase as of yet.
    That really sucks, and I totally feel your pain. I have a quite few games from when I was a kid that I didn't take good care of, and I really regretted it later, so now I'm super careful with all my games, and take care to sleeve all the cards and preserve the components as well as I can. It actually adds quite a lot to the cost of buying new games when you are also spending an extra 10-15% on deck protectors and stuff. So I agree, it's really annoying when stuff arrives already damaged. I had a similar issue with Super Dungeon Explore, where it appeared the entire stack of board sections had been dropped prior to packing, so every single board has a crumpled corner (Grrr).

If it's any consolation, yours isn't the worst damage I've seen on an Arcadia Quest box. My friend's kickstarter one arrived direct from CMoN with one whole corner caved-in. I guess it's always a danger when stuff is being posted. Thankfully, she wasn't too bothered about it, and it was soon forgotten about once we started playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahan View Post
    There should be some universal board game service where you can pay publishers to send you an empty box every time the local store messes up shipping.
    This should so be a thing. And not just for shipping bungles, it would be nice in general to be able to replace old and tatty boxes. I often wish CMoN would just do a line of plain black game-boxes (maybe with the CMoN logo on them) that I could use for neatly storing expansions and other bits that won't fit in the main boxes. I'd buy about 10 of those in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Smacks; 07-21-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smacks View Post
    This should so be a thing. And not just for shipping bungles, it would be nice in general to be able to replace old and tatty boxes. I often wish CMoN would just do a line of plain black game-boxes (maybe with the CMoN logo on them) that I could use for neatly storing expansions and other bits that won't fit in the main boxes. I'd buy about 10 of those in a heartbeat.
    I like the idea here with CMON's standard box size that is just black with the logo or the CMON colors with logo being made. Trouble for CMON would be storage, because I think for this to be cost effective to produce you need lots of them.