Silmarillion 1st aged Elven Themed Armies - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Silmarillion 1st aged Elven Themed Armies

Thanks Mally. I ended up thinning the paints a tad more and that seemed to do the trick.

So I worked on some freehand. I quite like how this came out. I'm going to step away from this and now work on the mini itself. I'll come back to adding in more details to the shield later on.

Oh, and this heraldic piece represents the house of Fingon.

Today I tried to push my NMM even further. More specifically, i'm trying to make it look more realistic, w/ light bouncing off of the metal surfaces, etc...

Here's some work I did. (The one I completed is the right figure's right metal plates)

Let me know what you guys think. Does this look more realistic? Or should I stick w/ the standard looking silver NMM, such as the figure on the left?

Hey guys,

Just recently submitted my latest elven paint job. You can vote for it here:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/422331

My question for you guys is this. I am always trying to improve upon my painting. I am satisfied with how this mini came out, but I want to get feedback on how I can improve my overall paint jobs. So, looking at the picture, what do you guys I should do to improve?

Thanks!

You’ve certainly got great brush control and your glazing work is nice. Where you are let down is the contrast, the mini looks a little flat. Where you can develop this is how you do the shade. Never go pure black. Use dark blues, greens in the darkest spots. Also look to adding some inks into the mix.
    Have a look at some of the work here - Skel is a great one to see how many colours he uses to create the contrast. That is the game you need to be in, contrast contrast contrast. If you think you have enough, then you need more.
    Visit me on Putty and Paint

http://www.puttyandpaint.com/Mally17

Thanks Mally. Looking at the latest mini, you have a point saying that it looks a little flat. Which areas in specific do you think need more contrast?

For the NMM silver, I tried to keep the mid-tones a little more prevalent, and did not go down to pure black in the shadows. I also did glaze a dark blue into the shadows at the end as well.

Look at this picture as a reference. Gorgeous NMM by Gareth Nicholas. Does this help ?

Name:  6C5DFE76-6B0C-40E1-B9ED-EDCEF48D1AC6.jpeg
Views: 332
Size:  1.09 MB
    Visit me on Putty and Paint

http://www.puttyandpaint.com/Mally17

I literally bought that tutorial two days ago haha. Yeah, I see what you mean, and I'm continuing to get that I need to add even more contrast.

Thanks

Since this forum thinks me posting multiple pics is "spam," i'm going to post the next two pictures with two more replies.

So i've been trying out different NMM gold recipes. I'm trying to find an appropriate gold color for the house of Feanor. These are the three different one's i've quickly painted up, just trying to get a rough idea.

Tell me what you guys think of these three different gold looks.

Hi feanor,

1. Call it the "neutral" gold. Use only for maybe with muted palettes (mostly monochrome minis with the only color of gold?)
    2. A bit dark, but perfect warm gold. Lighten up a bit.
    3. Perfect cold gold/brass.

The middle one works well for me. Number one needs a little more contrast. The last is nice. I like the coldness but not sure it suits the model

Thanks guys, yeah, I ended up going w/ something similar to the 2nd one. Pics will be coming soon

Am I allowed to ask for your recipe on that cold gold? Gorgeous. Not sure on what’s allowed being a noob!

Hey guys, so the forum is not letting me post any pictures for some reason. Says that I am posting spam.

Anyways, here is my latest work. The link is a second re-upload, w/ what I think to be better pictures.

Let me know what you think .

http://www.coolminiornot.com/424710

The silver looks very good already but the gold lacks that tiny last bit of "booom" (if you know what I mean). You need a bit more in the highlights. I'ld also recommend some edge highlighting.
    The positioning looks correct and the blendings are good as well but you need that last highlights that push the metals and let em pop. At least in my opinion^^

Thanks, yeah, perhaps I need to extend some highlights over some edges of the armor. But there are white "hot" spots as well. Hard to see perhaps.

So, I started to pick things up again a few weeks ago, and I literally jumped into it.

Started a new blending technique, and have been loving it so far. It's been allowing me to blend contrasting colors more effectively, without having to worry about minor layering in between.

Anyways, I painted Fingon's house again. To compare to my previous try at that color scheme. Needless to say, I am pleased with the improvement, especially in the contrast NMM area.

Looking great, and that blending technique is excellent, really effective.

Started a new blending technique, and have been loving it so far. It's been allowing me to blend contrasting colors more effectively, without having to worry about minor layering in between.
    oO -> You sparked my interest xD

Blend look very good. So how did you do it ? ^^