Silmarillion 1st aged Elven Themed Armies - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Silmarillion 1st aged Elven Themed Armies

It's from Glazed O's (Gareth Nicholas') tutorials. He goes to talk about it in great depth in his Adeptus Custodes tutorial. Far better description than I could explain.

Thanks for the info. Bought it as well

His tutorials are amazing. Very well in depth

I just discovered Gareth as well; bought all his tutorials on Etsy, lol. I am anxious to try out his "area blending" technique. In theory sounds easy, ha. Good work on your figures, btw! Your NMM-fu has improved by leaps and bounds!

Hmm haven't read it completly yet but it looks like feathering. Applying the color, rinse brush and then diluting the egdges of the color spot to smooth it in. Or was there something else I haven't seen yet ? ^^

Good that some of these warcolors are on the way to me ^^ Can't wait to try em out. Vallejo,GW,P3,Scale dry to fast for me to feather them out -.- or I'm just way to slow -.-

But it works great with oil colors and their 24h+ drying time xD

For him, he's applying water to the specific area, before applying the paint. Thus allowing a smooth blend to occur when he goes back and feathers. I think that's what makes this stand out from traditional feathering.

Doesn't matterhow...your use of it makes for a sharp looking mini!

So, for a while, I have been looking for suitable versions of Gondolin soldiers, in order to represent the 12 houses of the Gondolodhrim. Also, while looking for other versions, I wanted to find models somewhat close to GW's current elven models.

I am already using all of GW's versions of elves, Lothlorien, Mirkwood and Rivendell elves for different Houses, Feanor, Finarfin, etc...

I recently found Oathmark's New Elven models, and I thought I should get a box to see how they fit in.

I'm not a huge fan of how the bodies of the models look (2nd from both sides), they don't seem very High elvish too me, but when I put their heads on Perry Miniature's Foot Knights (Center model), I thought it looked decent.

I'm still not 100% positive about it. Any feedback from you guys would be great, and possible alternatives.

I'm just praying GW comes out with new High Elven models. Lord, hear my prayer.

Hmmm tough cookie.

For the bodys don't really look elvish as well. For me it looks a bit like celtic or viking style armor.
    Although the center mini looks cool it doesn't really look elvish to me as well :/ The medieval plate armor looks very characteristic.

I think the problem is that the LOTR minis from GW are a bit smaller then their usual warhammer stuff as far as I remember. So Reaper and Avatars of war are probably too big. You could check out Kings of War. They are 28mm scale but I don't know if they fit into LOTR. To me they look like a mixture of GW Dark Elves+High Elves+ Wood Elves all together.

But since you already sculpted that nice cloak, sculpting the armor on top of the Oathmark's Elves might be an option. For inspiration you could also check out the elven armor sets from Elder Scrolls games like Skyrim for example. They use a lot of the same style elements like the LOTR elves. Plate armor with leaf like forms + armor scales.
    You could use the knight in the middle for that as well. Add a skirt of scale armor and add some ornaments and these leaf like plate thingies. The head could fit well to an elv.

Here are some pics for elven armor in TES Skyrim:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...oe0o83gu-LBJM:
    Last edited by CyAniDe; 12-18-2018 at 08:02 AM.

I didn't sculpt that cape unfortunately, I bought it.
    For conversions, I am not very good at all, so I think that's out of the question.

With that being said, I just got some Last Sword miniatures. Here is a few comparison pictures.

Finarfin's house: GW's Mirkwood elves
    Fingolfin's house: GW's Lothlorien and Galahdhrim models
    Feanors house: GW's Rivendell and LA elves

The reason I am searching for other models that fit well with GW's style is because I really want to field the houses of Gondolin as well. That is the issue.

So, these guys are 32mm. You can definetely tell they are taller than the GW mini's. They still have a "Warhammer" feel to them tho.

Hey guys,

So after working on this guy forever, I have him finally finished.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/439514

Vote too if you don't mind!

Voted! Beautiful work on a classic sculpt. I've seen many versions of these but this is one of the best. I hope to see more of your work on here in the near future, Feanor!

Thank you. It's definitely difficult to get some emotion from that figure. Such an odd pose