Still struggling with painting black

Thread: Still struggling with painting black

Default Still struggling with painting black

I just don't seem to be doing it right. I primarily try to glaze robes for shading. various mixes of watered down color and this works for most things. With black however, I just don't seem to be able to get it right.

here are 2 examples of the black im going for
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/371629?browseid=12599428
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/297130?browseid=12599428

the greys/blacks seem to not apply the same way other colors do. They break up quickly at the tip of the brush and create tide lines. other colors I seem to have less of an issue with this problem or is manageable.

would really love to help as my goal is an ulthwe army

Black is probably one of the most difficult colors to paint effectively - luckily there's a bunch of good guides in the sticky thread covering this very topic.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

not to be rude but those guides did not help me nor are they very good...

If you have trouble with paints 'breaking', try using a medium to thin the paint. That helped me some.

Quote Originally Posted by gr33n View Post
    the greys/blacks seem to not apply the same way other colors do. They break up quickly at the tip of the brush and create tide lines. other colors I seem to have less of an issue with this problem or is manageable.
    not in my experience.

what the problem could be:
    - not thinned enough
    - too big of a jump between shades
    - too small brush (paint dries faster on it)
    - too thick application where you can't blur the edge enough

small tip for "tide lines": wet the surface first with water (it should be damp, not more), this way the paint won't have time to dry at the edges, so avoiding lines because of drying at the edges.
    Also what helps is the push-pull tech. So you put your brush down at the point where the transition is and move it toward the HL/Shadow --> paint is thinner where you start, so transition is smoother.

you could also try out the "loaded brush" if you want to. An application of it is on HD-video on youtube from painting buddha (where they paint Horus, and it even has black armor)

ulthwe army: I might be too lazy, but I'd buy a black spray and a dark grey one. Prime/paint the army with the black one, then dust from directly above with the grey or even light grey/white after that with some parts. For armies it's a good alternative to an airbrush.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    If you have trouble with paints 'breaking', try using a medium to thin the paint. That helped me some.
    it does help but everyone I have msg'd who is an exceptional painter only ever uses water. It makes me think my methods are the problem. I can produce high quality stuff but struggle with certain colors and blends sometimes. I own the vallejo glaze and matt mediums which i can experiment with more tomorrow and hopefully it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    not in my experience.

what the problem could be:
    - not thinned enough
    - too big of a jump between shades
    - too small brush (paint dries faster on it)
    - too thick application where you can't blur the edge enough

small tip for "tide lines": wet the surface first with water (it should be damp, not more), this way the paint won't have time to dry at the edges, so avoiding lines because of drying at the edges.
    Also what helps is the push-pull tech. So you put your brush down at the point where the transition is and move it toward the HL/Shadow --> paint is thinner where you start, so transition is smoother.

you could also try out the "loaded brush" if you want to. An application of it is on HD-video on youtube from painting buddha (where they paint Horus, and it even has black armor)

ulthwe army: I might be too lazy, but I'd buy a black spray and a dark grey one. Prime/paint the army with the black one, then dust from directly above with the grey or even light grey/white after that with some parts. For armies it's a good alternative to an airbrush.
    that is not happening "dusting" no lol that sounds awful. here is a WIP of another farseer whos colors wont match and is being replaced (assuming i can get black right...) http://imgur.com/cW6kAQz,A15GwUk#1l

as you can see i'm not awful.... so its really confusing me why I cant do this.

i'm aware of pulling paint into the right areas. the matt medium does help with breaking paint but again its the people who ONLY use water that makes me question my methods.

- DEF thinned enough
    - were talking minimum 5 shades but never do i mix them too drastically
    - brush is a size 1 series 7 its not small nor is it large. no issues with other colors
    - not applying thick

how thinned is thinned? worst case (as it makes a lot of work) you could double the amount of water and do twice as many layers per shade to get things smoother, but it kills the joy in painting for me, so I don't tend to overthin.
    about 5 shades ... hmm. might be not enough, but I've done more than a few good blends with 5 or less, so this shouldn't be the problem
    brush 1 is ok, definitely not small
    about thick. how does it dry? Most glazes are drying almost immediately when applying with a brush. (if you have access to the first MiniatureMentor video you see what I mean)
    Forgot, that it works again.

Hi
    It would be helpful if you could post some photos of your WIP.
    The examples you have shown are top end painting so its hard to give advice when we done really know what level you are.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Hi
    It would be helpful if you could post some photos of your WIP.
    The examples you have shown are top end painting so its hard to give advice when we done really know what level you are.
    thats the problem. i cant seem to take good photos. Im aware of light boxes and all that I just dont have the tools/setup to get a good photo. the best ive got was that one you see posted but even that photo is so blurry. that purple is black to a pinkish purple but that photo makes it not even look highlighted

2 pieces of advice:
    1: THIN YOUR PAINTS. Like, to water. If you want really smooth blacks like in your example pieces, you have to put 3+ layers of super-thin paint to get a noticeable change in tone.
    2: referring you to an article here http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.de/201...our-black.html
    notice in the 'black' pictures how close all the highlights are to the edges? That's what you have to do if you don't want it to look grey.
    Now, if it ends up chalky, or too light, glaze it down. Mix a brushtip of another color in with the black to modulate the color without making it look different. Practice, use washes and inks to darken anything that's too light, and see where that gets you.
    good luck.