Purpose of zenithal with airbrush.

Thread: Purpose of zenithal with airbrush.

Default Purpose of zenithal with airbrush.

I recntly got into airbrushing and tried zenithal highlighting. After a few models I have it down pretty well. But what is the purpose of it? I thought it was to save time but airbrushing over it really just covered everything up. so I recently just went into glazing with a brush over it and it works pretty well for tabletop+ quality. But I'm still not sure what to do with it.

Clearly identifies highlight and shadow placement.
    If you're zapping a zenithal primed model and everything is covered up, you're probably laying it on a bit thick. The paint, theoretically, should be slightly translucent so some of the zenithal shows through. You can then take advantage of the natural shading and highlight by glazing paints on.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Zenthil is usually done in the priming stage. Black primer from below, white primer from above. Then when you paint, the highlights either show through (if you've thinned your paints) or you have a rough guide as to where to put the highlights.
    Very few minis are actually painted with an airbrush outside of armor or 6" & up sized minis. Even then, it is mostly used for basecoats and maybe some highlights. Too many fine details that need a brush in most of our minis.
    Check out sources like Fine Scale Modeler and you'll see where AB's are used to glaze as well as age and dirty up models.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by airhead View Post
    Zenthil is usually done in the priming stage. Black primer from below, white primer from above. Then when you paint, the highlights either show through (if you've thinned your paints) or you have a rough guide as to where to put the highlights.
    Very few minis are actually painted with an airbrush outside of armor or 6" & up sized minis. Even then, it is mostly used for basecoats and maybe some highlights. Too many fine details that need a brush in most of our minis.
    Check out sources like Fine Scale Modeler and you'll see where AB's are used to glaze as well as age and dirty up models.
    Awesome. Thats what I was wondering. I mainly bought it for priming as i ruined too many minis priming outside due to weather. But then I learned about zenithal. I recently did a gremlin from malifaux using zenithal. I painted his skin green using a mix of green and glaze medium. He looks good, but I'm missing the color gradients I normally do. Normally i would build up layers probably up to a yellowish green. however, I'm a bit afraid that building up colors will cover up the cuurent highlights. But perhaps this doesnt matter if your creating the highlights in those areas.

Honestly, as someone who also has a new airbrush, I've found that zenithal priming is mostly to allow you to see details. Yes, it does give you a starting point for zenithal highlighting, but being able to see all the little details really helps. If you're not painting armor (like, tanks, not armored people), don't worry about covering your primed highlights. Just put color where you want, and use the light parts to guide you. That's what I've been doing, and I think it works OK (this'd be more convincing if I had pictures, but oh well)

Just finished these and used an AB to kickstart 'em. You don't have to work with purely black/white. I start out with my midtone as the base/undercoat colour, then hit them from wherever the light is coming from with a lighter colour. I then glaze in darker tones with a brush before going on to highlighting and details.

OMG the spacemunkie & Airhead are still around

Anyways, regarding finer details with an airbrush, i saw a video of a person painting GW smaug and they used an airbrush even for the eye socket area. Seemed kinda crazy but they did.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarFyre View Post
    OMG the spacemunkie & Airhead are still around

Anyways, regarding finer details with an airbrush, i saw a video of a person painting GW smaug and they used an airbrush even for the eye socket area. Seemed kinda crazy but they did.
    Never left. Just not here as much.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Mr Munkie, your skills just seem to get better and better
    Supervike: "There's no purpose to this, besides something to do..."

Cheers! These fellows have blown away a few cobwebs

Those nurgle boys are very good Spacemunkie.

As far as zenithal airbrushing if you have a look on YouTube there are some nice tutorials. Jeremy from figone has (or had) some nice clips.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG