Commenting on miniatures.

Thread: Commenting on miniatures.

Default Commenting on miniatures.

PLEASE REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING:-

The pictures are people's work and the submitters are proud of their achievements!

No matter how new to the hobby (or as Veteran an old fart like me) the pictures are being shared and if there is something you see which you think would help the painter, tell them in the same manner you would appreciate being helped.

Personal interpretation is exactly that!, "Fluff" is also that.
    The only things that are certain are Death and Taxes. This is a hobby, if something isn't 'exact' to the 'fluff', well it ain't the end of the world.

Bottom line, a pat on the shoulder is far better than a kick in the crotch.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Well said DR , I would rather a low score and a comment/tutorial than just a low score , I would love to be a better painter and I'm not scared to hear someone's insite to how I can get there .

I completely agree with this. People are proud of their work whatever standard the rest of us may think it is and therefore even if it could be made better some praise is always welcome with any critism.
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

I try to live by the rule "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

A lot of the minis I view in the gallery I don't vote on. This is usually because they don't appeal to me. Rather than give a low score because I don't like it, I just move along. If what I would vote is not within a point of what the average currently is, I just assume people see something I don't and again, I just move along.
    .................................................. ........
    Here is a link to the stuff I have painted:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/MrJim

Here is a link to my WIP thread:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...rJim-s-ADD-WIP

Here is a link to my favorite Miniatures Website:
    http://www.competitionminis.com/

I agree with DR that the best comments are those that offer some constructive criticism with suggestions on how you can improve the mini. In a way these types of comments are better than those that just say something like 'fantastic 10+'. Of course it's nice that people like your work, but it's even better if they also let you know how to make improve on it.
    I don't often leave comments but when I do it is because to me there is something obvious that can easily be rectified that would IMHO make it a better mini.

@MrJim - it's good that you browse through the gallery but personally I think it's a waste that you pass on minis without voting on them because your idea of what they should score is not close to the current average. There is a lack of voting in general where achieving 50+ votes is becoming near on impossible unless you hit the 'Top Last 7 Days' or you have a lot of followers. So to have someone who can vote but chooses not to is somewhat sad.

I try to vote a fair amount and vote on the new minis. I don't look at the current score when I make my decision. My decision is based on what I see and what I like, and I like to think that my voting is fairly consistant based on quality. On the whole I am within 1 point either way with how I vote. Sometimes the difference is more - either higher or lower. I don't let that bother me as minis can be voted up with fanboys and such, and voted down with snipers. I feel that I am trying to achieve a type of balance in the system. Either way just by voting I am helping.

So please don't pass - vote.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

I just wish there was a way to separate out the "ebay auction" stuff. Don't get me wrong, some of it is lovely work. But it's a waste of my time to vote on an image that won't even be there in another month or so. Also, it's damned annoying to vote on the same piece 12 times, each from a different angle,.. or each individual piece, just to come across a group shot 8 pics later. I'd rather vote for the pieces that people present for their "love of the hobby", rather then their "need to make money". I'm not sure how to explain it, but I find that the pieces that were painted with love,.. have a different overall feel to them (one that I prefer) ,.. as opposed to the produced for profit pieces.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Webmonkey; 08-10-2015 at 02:09 PM.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Totally agree with Webmonkey's comments above.

The ebay stuff should be put into a different area or category that can be filtered out and ignored. Similarly I guess the people that are looking to buy don't want to see the non ebay auction pieces.
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Very well put and I also agree with filtering out ebay stuff
    Regards

David

Webmonkey you make a very good point about the 'need to sell' versus the 'love of hobby' postings.

For my 10 cents I too would prefer that the auctions were filter-able, but having said that there have been one or two really worthwhile pieces put up for auction.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

I'm trying to vote more often and I think I've change my mind on the eBay and studio paint jobs. Some of them are great and the airbrushed tabletop level I mark accordingly. I don't see how getting loads of 3 or 4 helps their business and it must be in their best interest to post better examples of what they can do, showcase their skills. I think limiting how many post somebody can do in 48 hours would go a long way to help solve the problem. I can't abide the spammers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darthmarsh View Post
    I'm trying to vote more often and I think I've change my mind on the eBay and studio paint jobs. Some of them are great and the airbrushed tabletop level I mark accordingly. I don't see how getting loads of 3 or 4 helps their business and it must be in their best interest to post better examples of what they can do, showcase their skills. I think limiting how many post somebody can do in 48 hours would go a long way to help solve the problem. I can't abide the spammers!!
    Links to their auctions so they come up higher on Google. That is the main benefit. What bothers me is when the same auctions keep getting deleted and resubmitted every week so they are constantly cluttering up the first couple pages. I guess a few of them figured out that trick and since they don't care about the votes you just keep deleting and relisting your submissions. (also gets rid of any low votes)
    Here is a link to the stuff I have painted:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/MrJim

Here is a link to my WIP thread:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...rJim-s-ADD-WIP

Here is a link to my favorite Miniatures Website:
    http://www.competitionminis.com/

Limiting the number of posts per day would IMHO certainly help cut down on auctions spam, and might also encourage others to submit composit pics rather than lots of the same view. It is certainly annoying seeing the same stuff over and over again....especially when it's not of a particularly good standard. That's one disadvantage of being able to list stuff on EBay for free.... You can try, try and try again to sell stuff that no one really wants and it doesn't cost you anything other than time.

An auction filter would be a good idea and I would certainly support it if came to it.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

The problem with the auction listing links is that they have been paid Coolminiornot for the privilege of linking.
    For a Mod to refuse the posting would cost the poster/artist a credit.
    And having accidentally done that to someone, I'm loathe to just cost someone cash in that manner.
    , and proud of it.

Is it the case that the most prolific auction posters always pay for the link feature, as it seems you can add an eBay link without paying for the feature add on?