Competition level minis?

Thread: Competition level minis?

Default Competition level minis?

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about trying my hand at some entry level painting competitions this coming year, I'm practicing very hard to raise my skills to a higher level.

My question is what kind of minis, creator, manufacture are good for competition level paint jobs, I know most minis can work good if the paint job is good, but are there any miniature manufacture companys that make high detail miniatures that work well for competitions?

any miniature from any company.

It would help a lot too if you could tell which competition you are aiming for.
    - There is no point in entering in GD with a mini from any other manufacturer (similar to PP with a non-wm or a CB/Wyrd with their respective lines)
    - In a military model show the usual fantasy/sci-fi is not the best
    - competition on an event for LotR fans? guess
    - etc. etc. etc.

that said because of the followings you can't really go wrong with a GW / WM / Infinity mini OR with a self-sculpted one in basically any show.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Well depends on the competition and also the techniques you prefer. Play to your strengths.

I live in Las Vegas, we have the las vegas open in February 2016 coming up. They have the Crystal brush as well as the Draconic awards there, was thinking of doing a few minis for the journeyman category in the Draconic awards. Was going for one fantasy or sci-fi single, and maybe a large mini or squad.

Paint what you like. If you are painting for a competition that has a theme you aren't interested in it will feel like a chore and you likely won't finish or will rush through it. Find figures you like that will fit into the categories offered. Don't Paint GW just cause its popular or enter a PP contest because the prizes are good. That said, expand your horizons and you may find a passion for a new genre
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

well in this case everyone will suggest their personal preferences.
    My suggestions are: Kingdom Death (but apparently because of it's NSFW nature it's not the best for a competition unless you are brave enough), Scale75 (their steamwars line I find awesome, their scifi/historicals are also top), in the US a WM/H or a Wyrd figure can also be a hit (think about a diorama with wyrd's rpg figures. I mean the male and female steampunk boxes), and if you'd try busts, then nutsplanet and their GoT busts are a good choice.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by MagmaPainter View Post
    Hey everyone, I've been thinking about trying my hand at some entry level painting competitions this coming year, I'm practicing very hard to raise my skills to a higher level.

My question is what kind of minis, creator, manufacture are good for competition level paint jobs, I know most minis can work good if the paint job is good, but are there any miniature manufacture companys that make high detail miniatures that work well for competitions?
    I'm going to be blunt here if you're painting to please someone else's ideas or taste then you've already failed!

Paint a mini you really like to the best of your ability, don't aim for XY or Z manufacturer just because it's popular.
    If you want to enter competitions which are manufacturer specific then you are limited, but otherwise paint what YOU can be passionate about
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Thank you, this was very helpful, I especially like the Nutsplanet website so meny cool minis to chose from.

One thing I'd suggest would be mindful of the base.

It gives me a bit of a sneer, but painting competitions could just as easily be considered plinth competitions. That said, it's what the judges are looking at enough that an absent plinth would go against you so could be prudent to get on board.

As a bunch of people have already said, first pick a miniature you like and are interested in painting. If you don't do that, then you're not going to be inspired and won't put in the time and attention needed for a good competition piece.

That being said, if you're anything like the rest of us, I'm guessing there are a lot of minis that into that category. So, look a piece that also...
    a) shows off your abilities. Ask yourself what are you good at? Freehand, faces, metals, weathering, etc? Pick something that plays to your strengths.
    b) is a preferably dynamic and interesting sculpt. Champions, generals, standard bearers, etc then to do better than random grunts. There's usually more detail and they're most interesting figures.
    c) is a high quality figure. While top artists can find a way to make almost any figure look good, why not cut yourself a break and just pick a nice figure to start. If you like warhammer, maybe look at grabbing a forgeworld figure. Or, better yet, find a company that just makes display figures. Scale75, Nutsplanet, Studio McVey, Nocturna, Ares Mythologic, Andrea (Warlord Sage and Dark Nova lines), and many many more. Check the CMON store, they have some of these brands and many others too.
    d) tells a story. This can combine the figure, the painting/weathering, and the base. Think about what the figure is doing. Are they in the middle of a battle? Are they exploring a dungeon? Are they fleeing from a monster? The possibilities are endless. Come up with an idea and then think of little clues you can add to the paint job, the base, etc that help tell that story.

Now, you don't need to check off all of those. But they're good things to keep in mind when you go about finding a piece to work on. It can also be useful to look at what sort of figures have won at past competitions. Check out Crystal Brush winners. The Draconic Awards also posts past winners on their site. Don't copy from past winners, but use them to help inspire you.

Awesome thanks everyone You have giving me some great ideas already, I'm thinking I'm going to do two projects. One diorama/Squad type piece with Wyrd minis, and one 54mm fantasy single, I'm really loving the Draconia miniatures from ares mythologic so far, nutsplanet is a pretty great website, thanks for all the info.

Agreed with the others,.. it isn't about the mini you choose, but rather the amount time, detail, and love that you put into the piece, that makes it competition and/or display case worthy.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!