October 2015 - Anime Contest
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2015 - Anime Contest

Default October 2015 - Anime Contest

Hey guys,..

Here it is, almost October again, and that means it's time for the Anime Contest!! You can use any model from any manufacturer, as long as it fits the theme. Soda Pop Minis, Kingdom Death, Gundam style robots, and of course, my beloved Garage Kits,.. are all examples of what you could use. You can find garage kits at e2046.com or several other sites on the web. (just be sure to read the descriptions, some come pre-painted and/or pre assembled). I'm posting this one earlier then usual, because most of these things have to come from China, Japan, Thailand,..etc. And shipping can take several weeks. So I want to give enough lead time for everyone to receive their stuff.

Anyways,. you guys know the rules. This contest works just like all the others just add your name to the list if you are interested. (if you're new here, and don't know the rules, feel free to ask. I, or one of the other "regulars", can happily fill you in)

As always, I'll start the list with my own name,...

Webmonkey
    Last edited by Webmonkey; 08-17-2015 at 03:03 PM.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

and I continue with listing your name.

Webmonkey

Forgot, that it works again.

you know I'm up for this one :P

(kit picked out and can't wait for it to get here)

well,.. I'll presume to add your names then,...

Webmonkey
    Maxx
    Crystella

I'm new would like to know the rules, thank you.

Webmonkey
    Maxx
    Crystella
    oistene
    Gohkm
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

This can contribute to the Clear That Kingdom Death Pile initiative.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

Webmonkey
    Maxx
    Crystella
    oistene
    Gohkm
    Moetle

Some Thailand kits use toxic resin, so be sure you use the right safety gear if your working on them. You can also ask for an MSDS sheet from the sellers. If they can't provide one or they seem shifty you should probably stay away.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by MagmaPainter View Post
    I'm new would like to know the rules, thank you.
    Basically you choose a model that works to the theme and you have the month of October to paint it up. You can prep/base and prime it beforehand but no painting til the 1st. Webmonkey normally has a thread where you can put your work in progress pictures. It's a good way to keep us all motivated and encourage each other. It's fun because the main point is to enjoy it.

I'm in again. I have a few things I could choose from.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Great sounds like fun sign me up, magmapainter.

Just copy and paste the name list, and add your name to the bottom. As Crys said, you may pre-prep your model before hand,.. but nothing past the "primer stage". And it's considered "good form" to post a pic of your starting point on the 1st of Oct., and then post regular updates throughout the month. When voting time comes around, you can vote for anyone you want,.. except yourself. Other then that, we are all pretty relaxed about the rules. As long as the model "fits the theme", you can bend it as far as you like. That being said,.. and this being October and all,.. Halloween themes are encouraged (though not required).

I don't mean to step on any toes, but the site you mentioned, e2046, is well known for selling recast kits, definitely frowned upon in the garage community; I believe they have their own original kit designs, too. Just a thought.

Webmonkey
    Maxx
    Crystella
    oistene
    Gohkm
    Moetle
    TrystanGST
    Magmapainter

Finding quality kits here in the US is next to impossible, as there are no direct vendors that I know of. That being said, I've always found the kits that I've ordered to be of high quality, even if they are recasts. But here's a short list of sites that people could use if e2046 isn't to your liking,..

e2046
    animeshop
    hobbyfan
    1999.co.jp
    amazon
    ebay

There are more out there, but you'll have to do your own research. And even then, there are no guarantees that you'll be getting a first cast. To all involved,..."let the buyer beware",... so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteraven2008 View Post
    definitely frowned upon in the garage community;
    who are according to some GK painters are a bunch of snobs, who like to voice, that they got the original for 200-300$ that's not produced anymore so you won't have it and if you use a source that offers it you are a thief who devalues their priceless kits.
    Saw the above on some forums AND in a few YT vids where GK painters talk about their work and such.

BUT at the same time it is true, most of the kits available at e2046 are recasts. So if you are bothered by it, then you can choose an alternative (either some sites linked by WM or sodapop / infinity / other anime styled minis). Ohh btw about the sites I'd leave amazon and ebay out. They are very likely recasts but without the QC/customer support of e2046.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteraven2008 View Post
    I believe they have their own original kit designs, too. Just a thought.
    - true, that's their ORI line. They are their own sculpts / conversions (The "Misato on Motor" is more of a conversion as a full sculpt. The motor is exactly the same as the Asuka's motor the pose is similar to another kit, just the details are new.)
    - they also have GK that are originally not available as such, like most prepainted PVC kits. (it's a bit of a grey area)
    - and of course the WF kits, that while being recasts but you wouldn't have a chance unless you are able to attend a WF.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Hmmm, not sure if I want to join in on this one. Have to think it through.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    Hmmm, not sure if I want to join in on this one. Have to think it through.
    I thought you had some Soda Pop models to play with for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    I thought you had some Soda Pop models to play with for this one?
    I have an Infinity model I could use, but I am not sure I have the feelz for this contest
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1