MMM journal: Sculpt, Print, to paint
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 79

Thread: MMM journal: Sculpt, Print, to paint

  1. #1

    Default MMM journal: Sculpt, Print, to paint

    Hey guys, I just wanted to start sharing progress on my series of minis Ill be starting. Im working on a series of 10 dragons and the first one is complete. The file is off to a good friend that owns a printer. Hes graciously volunteered to print the full series of sculpts for free, saving me $3k easily on this initial set.
    This guy will be 100mm(4″) long and 55mm tall…still thinking of a name for him.
    Hope you guys enjoy the slow updates that will be coming
    These guys will also be painted in the future I just wanted to show it from the ground up.
    One of the main reasons Im posting here is to get your guys feedback, its the most important thing I could have during this entire process.





    check out my other minis! https://www.artstation.com/zerafian

  2. #2

    Default

    cut up ready for print



    Only a matter of time now!

    Name:  CM3vmobWIAAv02D.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  34.3 KB
    check out my other minis! https://www.artstation.com/zerafian

  3. #3

    Default

    That is one amazing model.

    I would love to have one.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1





  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    That is one amazing model.

    I would love to have one.
    steal my heart why dont ya lol...thats what Id love to hear from a lot of people. I cant even begin to talk about the plans I have in the next 4 months entailing the series of minis Im hoping to make...and my ideas for 6 months after that. Without detail lets just say it involves dozens

    thanks so much
    Last edited by MiniMonsterMayhem; 08-20-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    check out my other minis! https://www.artstation.com/zerafian

  5. #5

    Default

    Very cool sculpt, I like the pose you have it in, looks like he is about to tear apart a wee foolish knight. Looking forward to seeing it printed and put together.

    What did you use to sculpt it, I'm just starting to learn and play around with Zbrush, and would love to be able to do something like that?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MagmaPainter View Post
    Very cool sculpt, I like the pose you have it in, looks like he is about to tear apart a wee foolish knight. Looking forward to seeing it printed and put together.

    What did you use to sculpt it, I'm just starting to learn and play around with Zbrush, and would love to be able to do something like that?
    thank you! I hope to create a dynamic pose for all my sculpts...something that say "im attacking" or an aggressive stance. I do use zbrush primarily and honestly it just takes time. Having artistic skill is the most important part before knowing the software. All the software is is know buttons to press to make things happen.
    check out my other minis! https://www.artstation.com/zerafian

  7. #7

    Default

    well after getting super busy with work I had a little time to start the next dragon.
    Name:  drg1.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  371.1 KB
    check out my other minis! https://www.artstation.com/zerafian

  8. #8

    Default

    I love dragons!! these two seem awesome, congrats on your work!
    Seeing how the first was printed should have been an amazing thing... have you got pics of it once printed and mounted, or are you keeping them secret for a future release??
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Seeing how the first was printed should have been an amazing thing... have you got pics of it once printed and mounted?
    I'll second that - it must've been lovely/nervewracking to see the printer spitting out your dragon. Can we see? Surely the printer has finished all those layers by now...

  10. #10
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,304
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Dragons!!!!!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  11. #11

    Default

    Your first dragon looks like he'd be a blast to paint. It must be very satisfying seeing an idea "born" in front of your eyes.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

    ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    I love dragons!! these two seem awesome, congrats on your work!
    Seeing how the first was printed should have been an amazing thing... have you got pics of it once printed and mounted, or are you keeping them secret for a future release??
    I want to ATTEMPT to to create a bit of popularity with what Im creating over the next coming months so I definitely dont want to hide anything I have. Iv got plans for a hopeful release of the minis, but you know how it goes either kickstart or borrow the funds since its gonna be expensive at the scale these dragons are.

    Quote Originally Posted by bgcdazzler View Post
    I'll second that - it must've been lovely/nervewracking to see the printer spitting out your dragon. Can we see? Surely the printer has finished all those layers by now...
    I had a good friend doing the initial print. We ran into some issues since the dragon had so many small spikes. Sadly, he got super busy and just hasnt had time. Im in the process of talking with prodos games to get things going. At the moment Iv actually got a version being shipped to me right now from an online print shop. Im not to sure what to expect though. I actually plan on buying a micro printer next month so I can print the pieces myself since the dragons will be in 4-7 pieces Im sure.

    Believe me, I cant wait to get them printed for showing off
    check out my other minis! https://www.artstation.com/zerafian

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Dragons!!!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by ArchArad View Post
    Your first dragon looks like he'd be a blast to paint. It must be very satisfying seeing an idea "born" in front of your eyes.
    thanks you! thats awesome to hear

    and Im hoping next month Ill actually be able to do it myself. That pic is from a friend about 400 miles away. We shall see
    check out my other minis! https://www.artstation.com/zerafian

  14. #14

    Default

    got the first dragon delivered today, a test print from shape ways in "strong plastic" Some of the sharp points came out a little nubby but Im so happy!



    check out my other minis! https://www.artstation.com/zerafian

  15. #15

    Default

    Link to a youtube video of me doing a shaky 360 turn of it and zoom in

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUBfHiDPshI
    Last edited by MiniMonsterMayhem; 10-16-2015 at 04:55 PM.
    check out my other minis! https://www.artstation.com/zerafian

  16. #16

    Default

    From the pictures it doesn't look like the loss of points has detracted from the sculpt. Looking good.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

    ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

  17. #17

    Default

    White beauty!!
    Was that "coral" texture on purpose?
    I have very little idea of how it works, but once you got the 3D done at your pc can you scale it to whatever scale you want to? (I mean something like 2D vectorized images)
    Last edited by Maenas; 10-17-2015 at 03:47 PM.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    White beauty!!
    Was that "coral" texture on purpose?
    I have very little idea of how it works, but once you got the 3D done at your pc can you scale it to whatever scale you want to? (I mean something like 2D vectorized images)
    Shapeways "hard durable plastic" gives that result. I think its more obvious because of all the small details. A larger, smoother object would show that texture as much maybe. Im actually getting a smooth material version printed now to compare the difference. Actually I can change the scale to whatever when I go to export the file. 20mm to 1000mm, zbrush just sets the scale and puts the info in the file for the printer to read.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchArad View Post
    From the pictures it doesn't look like the loss of points has detracted from the sculpt. Looking good.
    I think Im just more picky because I did the sculpt in zbrush...comparing all details. Im glad to hear from the perspective of another that it looks good, thanks : )
    check out my other minis! https://www.artstation.com/zerafian

  19. #19

  20. #20

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->