Texture effects

Thread: Texture effects

Newbie, please be gentle 40kwill's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Texture effects

First I'd like to apologize if this is miss categorized. I feel like it fell under a few topics.

im working on a diorama in an industrialized 40k area. And wanted the floor to look like diamond plate. Or a similar textured metal. I have wire mesh, and I've been wondering if I should just glue it down to the base, or if I should use it as a mask and air brush through it to achieve a similar look without the need for so much material and the difficulties of working with the fine mesh.

the pros for using the real thing are:
    it would look good
    it would allow for effects and the ability to show major battle damage.
    easier to weather.
    uniformity in basing my models

cons:
    Price (although I already own all I need from another project)
    difficulty in working with it, it falls apart easily.
    Wobbly model problems.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Im open to other ideas or materials as well, and hope to put more of the project on my blog as a work in progress.

Thanks,

will

You can buy sheets of plasticard with that design already on. Check out the single/double tread plate amongst these. Can find that kind of elsewhere too.

Once you have some you can make pressmolds of it for applying to bases and the like. Some of that instamold sold in the cmon store, pressed on the plate, then some putty pressed into the instamold and job done.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the help, that Chequer plate pattern one look really nice.

I've enjoyed using them. Can get a bit of a curl going for metal plates that have suffered damage or been peeled away. Can cut and jab 'em with a lit match to simulate blaster fire. There's sheets of rivets and thin strips of plasticard out there too if you fancy a floor made up sections of the plate rather than one big sheet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmypops View Post
    I've enjoyed using them. Can get a bit of a curl going for metal plates that have suffered damage or been peeled away. Can cut and jab 'em with a lit match to simulate blaster fire. There's sheets of rivets and thin strips of plasticard out there too if you fancy a floor made up sections of the plate rather than one big sheet.

WOW That's a great idea with the lit match.