What am I doing wrong? and can it be fixed? (with pics)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong? and can it be fixed? (with pics)

Default What am I doing wrong? and can it be fixed? (with pics)

So, i'm really trying to learn how to do a smooth blend through ALOT of glazing. I am fairly happy with the result, except for ONE thing... The paint has started to get a shine. Especially in the shades. Why is this, and can it be fixed?

Name:  12042247_10153496497035033_603570317_n.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  35.3 KBName:  12041728_10153496494255033_526321433_n.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  47.8 KB

the easiest fix would be get a matt varnish, not sure why it does this exactly but a matt varnish will remove most of the shine

Are you using anything other than water to dilute your paint?

Easy to fix once you've finished the figure. Testors Dullcote or Revell matt enamel varnish. Revell will give you a similar level of finish to Scalecolour paint. About as matt as you'll get!

Quote Originally Posted by Fentible View Post
    Are you using anything other than water to dilute your paint?
    Yes... I'm using Lamina medium?

What about the metallics then? won't they also loose their potentiel shine?

Quote Originally Posted by bard2000 View Post
    What about the metallics then? won't they also loose their potentiel shine?
    You've got a few options there. You can satin varnish instead. Matte varnish then satin varnish just the metallics. Matte varnish before you've finished the metallics then paint the top highlights over the matte... The list goes on.

I'm not completely clear what lahmian medium *is*. Is it just dilute matte medium in a pot?

Quote Originally Posted by Fentible View Post
    I'm not completely clear what lahmian medium *is*. Is it just dilute matte medium in a pot?
    GW branded matt/glaze medium.

also the reason for the shine:
    - the medium itself
    - area is overworked
    Forgot, that it works again.

aha... So if I had used water instead for dilution, the shine wouldn't be there?

Depends on the paint, some paint just get glossy when glazed on. Get a little brush on matte, gloss and satin varnish and you can control how you want surfaces to look once you are done painting. Gloss for metals, flat for clothes and satin for leather or even skin. If these are for gaming just hit them with a spray of your choice and pick out areas after in the brush on ones.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post

- the medium itself
    - area is overworked
    THANK you for your answer...

Do you think I have overworked the area? I have used really diluted paint (with lamina medium), but a lot of layers...

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Depends on the paint, some paint just get glossy when glazed on. Get a little brush on matte, gloss and satin varnish and you can control how you want surfaces to look once you are done painting. Gloss for metals, flat for clothes and satin for leather or even skin. If these are for gaming just hit them with a spray of your choice and pick out areas after in the brush on ones.
    Ok cool!! what are the best varnish out there?

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post

- the medium itself
    - area is overworked
    Would it be better to just use water when working with highly diluted paint layering?

i find water on its own isnt great because it doesnt hold the paint together very well when diluting alot, some people use a mix of water and lahmian but its not too hard to just apply a matt coat after, ive been using the army painters one but i cant comment if its the best or not, does the job well enough for me though, its a brush on one

Do you think I have overworked the area? I have used really diluted paint (with lamina medium), but a lot of layers...
    can't be sure. if you have the same effect when using only water, sure, but the medium can interfere too.
    not that it really matters, as the solution is the same: 1 spray of matt varnish, so the surface is matt again and has it's 'teeth' so future layers can again adhere to it.

Would it be better to just use water when working with highly diluted paint layering?
    imo yes, but it's 100% personal preference.
    Bloodfather here used only lahmian medium, going through a bottle/mini. I use only water.
    Then again after a LOT of layers even with water it starts to get glossy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    i find water on its own isnt great because it doesnt hold the paint together very well when diluting alot
    brushcontroll
    load only to the tip of the brush, then get rid of the unneeded moisture by touching the side to a paper towel.

btw: when painting thin layers it doesn't have to be too thinned with water, but you shouldn't let it pool.
    Forgot, that it works again.

guess its a question of practice, it ends up behaving like a wash when i use water and i find it harder to control, im not yet at the point of using a whole pot of lahmian per mini though, but i can see how it could happen with the better painters :P

It is a question of brush control, but I understand it's not easy to start with! Once you've got the hang of how to load the brush (most especially how not to overload the brush) you'll be able to happily work with paint diluted with 2 or more parts water, if you want to.

might be worth some practice if only to save some cash from not needing to buy a glaze medium

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely uses for glaze mediums, thinners, etc, but learning to work with thinned paint will make you a better painter very quickly!