Weathered armor, wood, clothes, skin and skull?

Thread: Weathered armor, wood, clothes, skin and skull?

Default Weathered armor, wood, clothes, skin and skull?

Since GWs rules for The Dark Eldar is written in such a way that unless i want to come in at number Shock at any turnament, alongside Tyranids, Orks and Chaos Space Marine.
    I think its high time i tried to look at Warmachine instead (most people say besides Flames of War, Privateer Press is the closets thing we got to a balanced game system)

So i decided to start playing Cryx and i decided to go with a Pirate Ship theme.

So i wanted to know if any of you have any great tutorials for doing a weathered look, the kind you get when your clothes, armor, weapon etc etc have been exposed to the sea through more then one storm.

I did think about pigment painting, but the trouble with that is that i tried to make a base using only pigment and i got the impression that pigments is great for a display miniature.
    However when it comes to gaming miniatures you will have rubbed it off after a few games even if you used pigment fixer.

As for the metal parts, i decided to use True metal metal.
    The armor itself will be painted like this.
    1:1 Black - Gun Metal
    First Highlight of pure Gun metal.
    1 Glaze of Purple
    Pure black as shadows
    Second highlight of pure Gun metal
    Edge Highlight of Mithril Silver

Then i will add a weathering on it
    But any great weathering toturial will be great i don´t care how simple or hard it is as long as the result will end up looking great.

Quote Originally Posted by Erikjust View Post
    So i wanted to know if any of you have any great tutorials for doing a weathered look, the kind you get when your clothes, armor, weapon etc etc have been exposed to the sea through more then one storm.

But any great weathering toturial will be great i don´t care how simple or hard it is as long as the result will end up looking great.
    Faded colours can easily be achieved by adding tiny touches of VMC Neutral Grey to what ever colour you intend to use as a base colour, and keeping the PURE colour as the shadow base. Also VMC Black Glaze is very handy for muting colours and making them look aged.

As for wood aging etc, try having a look here....http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...t=great+rarity
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

If we take miniatures such as Bane Thralls should i go for a more and more gray towards the edges of the cloth the wear at their legs or how should i approach weathering and such?
    Also i plan to use this method to create the wooden bases.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFJ1AgLxcu0
    How should i make paint the base using your method?

For the Bane Thralls I'd suggest that the highlights should be more along the raised areas and a worn-out effect (i.e. much higher amount of grey) at the bottom and around any holes giving a "tattered effect".

Just watched the video, not a bad way of doing decking effects. Personally I think I'd avoid inks and prefer to use dilute VMC Burnt Umber as a wash, but I think I'd be adding an occasional colour variation in the planking, just to break up the "Sameness" . I might also use a match stick instead of a lollipop stick to vary the thickness of the planks now and again.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.