Maenas Painting Log and WIP - Page 10
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Maenas Painting Log and WIP

Red face Arcadia Quest miniatures advancements

No way! almost a month has passed away and I did not put a single word here. Shame on me. ;(

Nope, the real fact is that I just have had two or three happy painting sessions, and lots of "A game of thrones card game" and also finished a campaign on "Arcadia quest" with some friends. Then I a also went out with my uncle (almost like my father or an elder brother for me) for a weekend, so I must disagree with Madonna and her song since: Time goes by so fastly!!!! LOL

Soooo to the work!
    Results of the first of this series of sessions:
    Session 1: NMM Gold Pommel and sword hilt, hair band, face "blacklining" and also upped the colour of the hair. (Love the colour that results from mixing sc75's brown leather and a little pinch of purple ink!!)
    Name:  Grom_02.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  183.6 KB
    On the NMM Gold I had some problems because it was too pale and cold for my taste so I went in and tried to correct it glazing some yellow over. I also struggled with the light "shines" on it, never did this before xD
    I also worked on to his monster companions while inks, layers and glazes dried. Here you'll see
    Name:  Hbeastmans_02.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  116.6 KB

Session 2:
    This was particularly productive!! I was alone with my music and focused pretty well. Yay!! ^^
    Some more gold corrections, more work on skin. Glazed some yellow/browns into some areas, worked a little bit more on the hair
    Name:  Grom_03.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  70.5 KB

Started to paint the fur/skin on the hammer beastmans
    Name:  Hbeastmans_03.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  207.8 KBPots are there for my own mix reference and for yours if you are curious ^^ because those are the ones I used to paint their particular skin colour (just triyng to catch the colour on their reference id. cards) (Left beastman with just one layer of colour, right with a couple)

And finally on the following session I finished Grom the barbarian!!! Hope you'll like it as he is my entry to webmonkey's flesh contest!
    Name:  Grom_04.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  460.7 KB
    The last picture was Grom himself angry with me for that much speech and for making him pose like a greek model! hahahahaha
    Last edited by Maenas; 03-11-2016 at 05:42 PM.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Really nice one, actually Where you finally at the master class ? How It was?
    My WIP here in CMON

As well I colaborate with a spanish blog called Profanus http://profanus40k.blogspot.com.es/

Love it all

Very nice. Love the luscious shining hair.
    Miniature painting takes a little brush and a lot of patience.
    My fledgeling WIP
    My Gallery

Nice cartoon style, I like
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Nice work Maenas, looks a lot of fun

Good work mate, i like the nmm, he looks like he's jumped straight out of a cartoon or comic, you've captured the style well

Nice work on Grom, and I really love what you've done on the beastmen so far. I notice one has a bandaid on his head... Did you add this to tell them apart?

I think Grom looks fabulous! Good work on his skin with those abs showing up nicely.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

The barbarian is nice, but the beastman is really turning out nice.

Te quedo brutal Grom.

Wish I could have mine look even a tiny bit like yours. Ill have to read up and learn about inks and glazes. Also the color wheel you refered to. Your beastmen look sweet also. I like how the nostril blends in smoothly with the rest of the skin.

Although it turns out that we are Flesh Faire competitors, I have to say that is a nice barbarian! I like how he decided to charge the camera at the end.

Great stuff maen. Barbarian looks straight out of a story lol.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Great work on the barbarian, skin looks nice. Those goat dudes are shaping up nicely as well.

Quote Originally Posted by harec View Post
    Really nice one, actually Where you finally at the master class ? How It was?
    Glad you like it. Still waiting for it to happen, it is programmed for the last weekend of March. :S mmm nervous/impatient about it! ^^'
    Your "monster" is starting to shape up very nicely. Though at the beginning it looked more like a sweet potato xD xD Sorry about the joke
    Now seriously speaking, those last textured parts, additional patches and particularly those spiked legs/tentacles are making him up a whole lot more interesting, and it is really starting to look scary. And it really seems like a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiSA View Post
    Very nice. Love the luscious shining hair.
    Tried to emulate some painters over here. Adding some tiny white/very bright colour on some places really makes a difference!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Love it all
    Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Nice cartoon style, I like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmar3 View Post
    Nice work Maenas, looks a lot of fun
    Thank you guys, and yes it was fun to paint!! You are golden! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Good work mate, i like the nmm, he looks like he's jumped straight out of a cartoon or comic, you've captured the style well
    Thank you Sicks! struggled with the NMM quite a bit, specially on the little axe, but I am happier now with the axe than with the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by khavor View Post
    Nice work on Grom, and I really love what you've done on the beastmen so far. I notice one has a bandaid on his head... Did you add this to tell them apart?
    Yup! I added a bandaid just to aid/increase the comic/manga style of the game and to tell them a part a little bit. There is also a sweat drop added to his brother.
    I think I will name them Hummer and Hommer! because wielding a hammer for all their life has marked them forever! xD xD xD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchArad View Post
    I think Grom looks fabulous! Good work on his skin with those abs showing up nicely.
    Thank you ninja hamster! Had to look some Conan ref pics! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    The barbarian is nice, but the beastman is really turning out nice.
    I need to inform you that they are a little bit more advanced that in the pics, will post some more soon -ish I hope. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Gamgan View Post
    Te quedo brutal Grom.
    Wish I could have mine look even a tiny bit like yours. Ill have to read up and learn about inks and glazes. Also the color wheel you refered to. Your beastmen look sweet also. I like how the nostril blends in smoothly with the rest of the skin.
    Genial que te gusten! Gracias! Unos posts atrás están Diva, Hobsbawn y los Goblins! cuando termine de pintar todas la miniaturas del Arcadia actualizaré mi galería y así estarán juntitos ^^
    Lo de la rueda de color realmente cambia tu forma de preparar las mezclas de color! Échale un vistazo a éste libro (Betty Edwards) si puedes/te llama la atención
    ----
    Cool that you like them! thank you! Some posts back you'll find Diva, Hobsbawn and the goblin archers! When I finish all the Arcadia minis I will update my gallery so they will be grouped up ^^
    And abaout the colour wheel, check it out, it really changes your way of mixing up your colours! Just have a look at Betty Edwards book about Colour, it will help you understand a lot of things!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bob View Post
    Although it turns out that we are Flesh Faire competitors, I have to say that is a nice barbarian! I like how he decided to charge the camera at the end.
    Happy that you like it. On the chaaarge! pic I was really trying to get a closer pic of his face and got that one blurry, next step was that little joke coming to mind so I need to share it with you all

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    Great stuff maen. Barbarian looks straight out of a story lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by fluisterwoud View Post
    Great work on the barbarian, skin looks nice. Those goat dudes are shaping up nicely as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teronus View Post
    That dude is SCARY!! Nice job bro.
    Again, thank you I am really learning a lot of things with this great community of people and his individuals from all over the world. Thank you for the support guys, it really helps me to keep painting on!

I'm looking forward to seeing those updated beastmen. You're nailing this comic book style.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Just have a look at Betty Edwards book about Colour, it will help you understand a lot of things!
    BAM, are you getting commision on these books? :P (Assuming you are the one who recommended it to Maenas of course)
    My copy just arrived, so I can give ArchArad's back to her.
    Miniature painting takes a little brush and a lot of patience.
    My fledgeling WIP
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by YetiSA View Post
    BAM, are you getting commision on these books? :P (Assuming you are the one who recommended it to Maenas of course)
    My copy just arrived, so I can give ArchArad's back to her.
    If not, he should! LOL And I am sure you won't regret that bought since it is a really good one!!

A little story from "granpa Mae": Feeling like an old granny telling these xD

In fact, I got this book at the arts school as it was a reading recommendation (alongside "Drawing with the right side of the brain" from Betty too) from one of our teachers, so back then (8-9 years ago) I got both, read them, tried some things, but leave them there on the shelve. Since in reality, at that moment my painting "mojo" was completely off/down.
    Back to the recent past (a year and some months ago) when I started to read these forums, BaM (and I think Bailey, Zab and Tenball too) reminded me of the book existence and since then, I have from time to time, reread parts of the book. Soooo.... since this happenings, I find that colour book very helpful and I am also recommending it every time I can, alongside with FIGOPEDIA from Jérémie Bonamant which I also think I got as a recommendation from reading interesting tips and answers around these wip threads from CMON.

This second recommendation has the particularity that it is completely focused on miniatures so although it still has a lot of theory it is completely focused on what we all are most interested.

*And these are the tales of grandpa Mae...., let me gather some more wood for the next one, so the campfire won't extinguish*
    LOL ^^
    Last edited by Maenas; 03-14-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Lol I've been recommending to everybody any and every book that I have in my library!!!! When Johnny boy(me) was in med school(pre med) before I dropped out to become a fighter imstead(stupid IDEA) all the proctors and doctors used to say to our group at the seminars is "I don't care if your all mechanics,singers, carpenters, or doctors - the better and more extensive your library is the better educated you'll be" so instead of buying just grey anatomy I bought greys anatomy along with grey "drs language and greys psychological effects of surgery etc Etc. so I firmly believe whatever any of us partake in -mini painting, astronomy etc , you must have a bigger and better library than the next guy to beat the competition!

and yes I have sticks in these companies , so keep buying em and line my pockets with money you son of a beetches! Lolol

Updated my gallery with Grom! Feel free to come in and vote please ^^

Don't forget to vote on Webmonkey's Flesh faire contest! There are two groups of painters that need your vote:
    Group A
    Group C

And this is the thread were we all shared our projects in the way...
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...he-Flesh-Faire