Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Maenas Painting Log and WIP

I have come to the conclusion that i will never be able to play arcadia quest with you painting the minis lol.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

And thank you Octavian!! did not think about it till I saw your picture, well not yours but the one that you posted... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that i will never be able to play arcadia quest with you painting the minis lol.
    Yes I am a bit slow... hahahahaha

Reporting advancements:
    Been painting orc skin variations since my last post! but I also confess that I spent a couple of afternoons with my wife playing the old "Zelda a link to the past"! ^^
    I did the skin on the albino one, but instead of making him full albino, I did as if it had pigmentation problems with some green patches (stippled or kind of) here and there... not sure if it looks nice or looks really strange. LOL All I can say is that my wife told me that his eyes were scary... hahahaha
    I also tried to paint the skin of my last three orcs a little bit more faster, doing so with two brushes, one with paint and the other with only water. Must say that I love this way of painting! but need to practice it much and more!
    Pictures to come later...
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 4741 out of 237600 minis, and also left 712 comments on Cmon Gallery.

Oh man that was a great one, after the orcania of time though zelda seemed to go off the deep end for me
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Ocarina of Time!! One of the greats! My friend has the Nintendo Switch and is playing the new Zelda game. He says it's pretty frickin cool. Almost makes me want to pick up that new system.

So you're trying 2-brush blending out, eh? That's awesome! I really want to give it a try too. I watch videos of painters who do it and they make it look so easy and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    Oh man that was a great one, after the orcania of time though zelda seemed to go off the deep end for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Octavian80 View Post
    Ocarina of Time!! One of the greats! My friend has the Nintendo Switch and is playing the new Zelda game. He says it's pretty frickin cool. /...
    I like the zelda games a lot, but just played, a link to the past, phantom hourglass, spirit tracks, twilight princess and skyward sword. xP I was very tempted by the nintendo switch but being realistic I discarded the option for just the time it could consume xD

Default Spoiler alert: Ugly orcs ahead!

So here come the pictures of what I've been doing these days...

This one was painted with almost the same base colours than the first but glazed with some sort of "kiwi/lime" green glaze. Has a bit of a glow... like he was a bit radioactive... LOL
    Name:  orcs02.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  163.8 KB

Next I tried to do some kind of black orc, but he looks more like an undead one. Got some chalkiness problems with this one on the last highlights but it is only seen on a closeup inspection.
    Name:  orcs02b.jpg
Size:  141.8 KB

Here comes one of the captains... I decided to make an eye patch for him giving a little more of an old warrior look...
    Eye patch was done in green stuff, just did a ball then took a plastic blister, put a drop of water in it and on top I pushed the ball, then I squished and flattened with a tool. Next cutted a piece of an approximate size and shape of the thing. With the rest of green stuff I cutted some strips (as seen in the picture) took one carefully and put it in place.
    Name:  orcs03.jpg
Size:  96.1 KB

Here comes the albino one! seeing the pictures from Octavian's post I should add a little bit more of a rossy tone to it....
    Name:  orcs04.jpg
Size:  75.7 KB

And the last four, which I did with two brushes... as I explained some posts above.
    On the first picture I only did the shadows on both arms and torso in a stunning 4 minutes which to me sound like lightspeed!!
    should come in back and work on the highlights though
    Name:  orcs05.jpg
Size:  95.4 KBName:  orcs06.jpg
Size:  79.1 KB

Awesome work Maenas! I love all your variations and ideas. The eyepatch is that little touch to set that one apart that makes a world of difference. Have you thought about molding little studs/rivets around the border of the patch? To make it look like it is attached to the eye socket that way.

The black orc looks pretty cool. Just a little bit of clean up perhaps. David Powell (Bailey03) has some WIP articles on his blog about him painting a blackish orc. Maybe that may be of some use? Maybe too late at this point haha.

I like the albino as well. However, I agree that it could use some other color in there to mix it up. The blotches of green are a nice touch though.

Nice work on the 2-brush blending! And done in a flash, as well! haha. With a little more practice you'll have that down to perfection.

That is some UBER fast work on the shadows. The variations in the other Orcs are great as well
    error 404: signature not found

Nice variety. I really like the undead orc lol.

The albinos darker green patches look like they could be blended in more.

.../Have you thought about molding little studs/rivets around the border of the patch? /...
    mmm no I did not ^^' but I did add a central rivet that it is not noticeable on the pictures (on the one with the green stuff was not there I added it after taking the photo of that stage) I will check and see if adding them painted ones does the trick....

.../Just a little bit of clean up perhaps. David Powell (Bailey03) has some WIP articles on his blog about him painting a blackish orc. Maybe that may be of some use? Maybe too late at this point haha./...
    Completely agreed on the cleanup should give him some more retouching... Oh! and I don't remember that article... will check it out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Nice variety. I really like the undead orc lol../...
    Thank you Krule, somewhat of a happy accident... I desaturated too much the green and it looks like almost grey. xP

.../I like the albino as well. However, I agree that it could use some other color in there to mix it up. The blotches of green are a nice touch though.
    Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    The albinos darker green patches look like they could be blended in more.
    Yup I agree with both, I need to work on it a bit more, it looks a bit strange at the moment.

.../Nice work on the 2-brush blending! And done in a flash, as well! haha. With a little more practice you'll have that down to perfection.
    As you say in English... practice makes perfect! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    That is some UBER fast work on the shadows. The variations in the other Orcs are great as well
    Ty Fox!
    Last edited by Maenas; 03-16-2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Typos+grammar

I love all these variations you're doing on the Arcadia Quest figures. The albino is an inspired idea.

I always like when ppl vary the models in a set giving each one their own unique details and look rather then making them all look exactly the same. It slows down the process but I think gives more back to the over all look. Keep up the good work!

I say it all of the time!!! Your Arcadia quest models are amazing. Marvelously varied to a point of very diff looks. I love em all.

Yeah, the orcs look really good! I really liked the eye patch idea!

I should take a note from your example and do all of my guys a bit different from each other. Thing is I'm trying to get at least the monsters done as we have already started our campaign. I'm already a slow painter and don't think I have time to get fancy like you.

You just need to stop it....I'm so close to going and spending all my monies on this game cause of you
    ." -Me-