Thread: Zombicide Season1 & Rue Morgue ... questions ... (too easy, cheesy characters, etc.)

Default Zombicide Season1 & Rue Morgue ... questions ... (too easy, cheesy characters, etc.)

Hey guys,

I bought Rue Morgue a while ago and have a lot of fun with it but even though we're all beginner players, we have no yet lost a single game. In fact, it's rare one of our survivors even gets wounded (although it's happened once or twice). I've scoured the rules many times and I'm pretty confident I'm following them properly, which is weird because I've heard a lot of people say how difficult Zombicide can be.

Some of the characters seem to make the game very easy. For example, Bear with his "shove" skill. It's pretty easy to put him at some strategic location between spawn points (or in the path of an Abomination) and just have him constantly shoving hoardes of zombies back while the other survivors go about their business. Or to use the "Team Action" cards (especially "move") to pull a character out of trouble. That can be especially effective combined with the Lifesaver skill to move both the in-trouble character and the lifesaver character two zones clear of the trouble.

Anyway, I bought the original Season 1 today. I've heard it can be quite difficult. I'd like to combine the two but it strikes me that if I shuffled all the equipment cards together, things might get unbalanced. Much less likely of picking up food, for example. In the Rue Morgue rules it actually says to leave the pans out if you combine games. That doesn't make much sense to me, it would just make it easier. But anyway. I guess the standard thing to do is just mix all the equipment cards and all the zombie cards from both games?

Also a couple of clarifications/questions:

1. In Rue Morgue, it says that you first make "teams" and then assign survivors to each team, although it recommends beginners start with one team of six survivors. I just don't see the point of these "teams" unless you're playing competitive mode. If you're not playing competitive, then what difference does it make whether it's one team or three teams? Or six teams of one player each? Apart from the fact that there are more team actions cards available to the players (two for each team) which would only make it easier? As far as I can tell, regardless of any teams that might exist, players always activate their survivors in any order anyway, and each player has their turn in clockwise order before the next player can do anything. I just can't think of why it makes a difference.

2. In Zombicide S1, it says that when assigning survivors, if you play with 2 players you must have 3 survivors each. Why? Why can't you play a four player mission with 2 survivors each? I don't get this restriction.

3. I can see the rule has been updated in Rue Morgue, but with the Rue Morgue version of the rule, am I understanding correctly that the "Slippery" skill basically just allows a survivor to leave a zombie-infested-zone without penalty only if they started in that zone? That is, you can't move into a zombie infested zone and then use slippery to move "through it", as your move action ends as soon as you enter a zone containing a zombie. I think this was a bit ambiguous in the first version, but the updated version in S3 makes it clear. Sort of. Did I get it right?

4. What's the go with the "evil twins" in S1? You can equip twin pistols in one hand and a shotgun in the other? Seems odd.

Season one by itself can be challanging. add toxic and berzerkers and it gets real fun, Dogs and Crows are for the more skilled players as they can overwhelm a party quickly. By season 3 the power creep in characters has gotten a bit unbalanced. Season 3 characters are much more powerful then season 1 with killer combos on their dashes, just look at Benny for instance.
    In the end it all comes down to they way you stack the equipment and spawn decks. Too many good items and it is too easy, add in lots of tough spawn cards and the party dies. Weed out all the normal walkers and unless you have lots of extra figs of the other type you get too many extra actions. Add the experiance deck and by the third game some figures are just plain broke.

Season 4 fixes should be ultamate versions of the basic season 2 figs, some sort of shooter zombie like the archers in BP, and maybe a few tougher Aboms again like in BP. But then I expect more military hardware and maybe even a light combat vehicle like a hummer with a .50 cal or one of those armed dune buggys. Then more body armor, helmets, and grenades or claymores.

but then that is just wishful thinking on my part.
    You are only as old as you feel....the next day

You must be playing it wrong... I can't believe it's that easy but I'm yet to play that edition.

1. You can use the team skills if you want. I leave them out, usually we have an odd number of players.

2. Use the newest game rule book. It supersedes any previous rules (unless you like them better)

3. That is the rule I use the S1 version of.

4. You can only use one or the other at a time. So think of the shotgun on a sling over the shoulder and the Twins in holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by eng621 View Post
    1. You can use the team skills if you want. I leave them out, usually we have an odd number of players.

2. Use the newest game rule book. It supersedes any previous rules (unless you like them better)

3. That is the rule I use the S1 version of.

4. You can only use one or the other at a time. So think of the shotgun on a sling over the shoulder and the Twins in holsters.
    I agree with these...also, to add to #2, I don't believe there were any 4+ player scenarios when S1 came out...they were all 6 survivors, which is why the rule was written that way

Hi

am new to zombicide and having bought it I wonder if you can use the rue morhue survivors in the original game?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattlawrence View Post
    Hi

am new to zombicide and having bought it I wonder if you can use the rue morhue survivors in the original game?
    You sure can!

Quote Originally Posted by eng621 View Post
    You sure can!
    So... That's cool, how do the mini cards differ in the Rue Morgue set to the original? Do u need them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattlawrence View Post
    So... That's cool, how do the mini cards differ in the Rue Morgue set to the original? Do u need them?
    The survivor cards are all compatible so you can mix and match between seasons. Just for the sake of clarity, this does not include Black Plague...it is a different game and not compatible. Playing S1 survivors in the later seasons will be more difficult due to power creep, though. They released Ultimate Survivors to replace them

Quote Originally Posted by IdleHacker View Post
    The survivor cards are all compatible so you can mix and match between seasons. Just for the sake of clarity, this does not include Black Plague...it is a different game and not compatible. Playing S1 survivors in the later seasons will be more difficult due to power creep, though. They released Ultimate Survivors to replace them
    Thanks, so I could get a set of rue morgue survivors and board tiles and tokens and create a larger playing area?

oh, just realized by "mini cards" you meant the equipment and zombie cards, and not the survivor cards. Those are compatible as well. So yes, you can mix and match whatever you'd like, as long as you have a scenario that supports it. Difficulty might go up or down depending on what you use, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaponthus View Post
    3. I can see the rule has been updated in Rue Morgue, but with the Rue Morgue version of the rule, am I understanding correctly that the "Slippery" skill basically just allows a survivor to leave a zombie-infested-zone without penalty only if they started in that zone? That is, you can't move into a zombie infested zone and then use slippery to move "through it", as your move action ends as soon as you enter a zone containing a zombie. I think this was a bit ambiguous in the first version, but the updated version in S3 makes it clear. Sort of. Did I get it right?
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm gonna bump it anyway, for googlers sake.

The answer is actually.. no, you didn't get it quite right.
    The correction in the language is so that you realize someone like Wanda, or say a dog.. can't move through a zombie zone with their 2 moves per zone action.

Example: Wanda has a zombie on her, and the next zone over has a zombie on it. she has 2 actions left. she can move away from the other zombie without additional movement costs, but can only move into the other zone with the next zombie. her move action is over now. She can use another move action and slippery once again makes it so it is a free move, and because wanda has 2 zones per move and does not have any zombies in the next 2 zones, she can move a total of 2 zones away from her current zone.

Quote Originally Posted by barrikthethird View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm gonna bump it anyway, for googlers sake.

The answer is actually.. no, you didn't get it quite right.
    The correction in the language is so that you realize someone like Wanda, or say a dog.. can't move through a zombie zone with their 2 moves per zone action.

Example: Wanda has a zombie on her, and the next zone over has a zombie on it. she has 2 actions left. she can move away from the other zombie without additional movement costs, but can only move into the other zone with the next zombie. her move action is over now. She can use another move action and slippery once again makes it so it is a free move, and because wanda has 2 zones per move and does not have any zombies in the next 2 zones, she can move a total of 2 zones away from her current zone.
    I think that's what Ikaponthus meant but just worded it differently. Change "started in that zone" to "started their movement in that zone" and they said it correctly. It's just that "started in that zone" could also mean "started their turn in that zone" which wouldn't be correct.