Votes and Opinions appreciated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votes and Opinions appreciated

Default Votes and Opinions appreciated

I seriously dislike going about things like this - my apologies, but it seems to be necessary to "self-promote" in order to obtain feedback and votes on submissions.

A bit of information about myself: My name is Shelagh and I hail from South Africa. I've been painting miniatures for four months now and I absolutely adore the hobby. Through my own and other's WIPs I have met some fabulous people and learnt a lot in a short time.

My problem? Voting doesn't seem to be a big part of the CMON experience at the moment, but it's one if the only ways to gauge how one's work is being received.

Hence this post. If you have the time or the inclination I would appreciate any votes or feedback on my work so far. My gallery can be found here.

Thank you for your time and happy painting everyone!
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Don't get discouraged by the "snipers". Some of the folks out there purposely vote other peoples stuff too low, just to try to make their own stuff seem better somehow. (it's some sort of ego thing I think). Many pieces that I would vote a 7, 8, or even 9 on,.. they'll peg at 4 or a 5. They're usually just being a bunch of ass-hats. Try to take note of the fact that these same people are the ones who ~never~ leave any sort of message saying what about your work they didn't like and/or why they voted it so low. If they at least critiqued your technique, or said the base was too plain, or that they voted low because the photo was to fuzzy,..etc,.. you could perhaps learn from it,.. but instead, they just "snipe" from the shadows.

Try not to take it personal. And instead, just listen to the people in the forums (especially the WIP section). They will be far more honest about where your work truly stands.. and they'll be far more supportive as well.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    Try not to take it personal. And instead, just listen to the people in the forums (especially the WIP section). They will be far more honest about where your work truly stands.. and they'll be far more supportive as well.
    Fortunately I haven't had any sniping issues at the moment. It's more that things seem to stall at about 20-30 votes whereas the views are in the 100s. I love the WIP forums - would just like to get more of an idea from the "general public" so to speak.

Thanks for your message.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Hiya!

You've got some solid stuff in your gallery for being a relative 'newbie'. Good sense of color, and that Chaos Lord is just fantastic. Really love the weathering, and that purplish skin. You just keep getting better!

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Hiya!

You've got some solid stuff in your gallery for being a relative 'newbie'. Good sense of color, and that Chaos Lord is just fantastic. Really love the weathering, and that purplish skin. You just keep getting better!
    Hi supervike - I appreciate you stopping through to have a look. And I'm glad you think I'm getting there slowly. I have absolutely fallen in love with this hobby and the feedback and help on my WIP thread here at CMON has been such a help.

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Wow, you've been painting four months, eh? You have some outstanding work for only four months worth of experience. Very well done.

I went ahead and voted them all 1's. Kidding

Lol - hey, if that's what you figured they deserve I'd be okay with that (with explanations). This is about getting feedback so thank you for taking the time to have a look through the gallery BigBeefyProductions and for giving your opinion. It is much appreciated.

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

YYour doing great each model ypu do should have a good 1-2 point average jump in score.it's a great way to Guage from the public.another way you should be planNing on excelling at is with each model are you grasping a better understanding of each technique,blending weather layering through juicing or glazing or through two brush blending ,light and light point placement,shadows where they fall are now directly opposite where the light does etc etc ....if you feel you are then your getting better and not just by luck and mindlessly going through the motions but because your getting a good grasp on the material.thumbs up.

Bam-johnny

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    YYour doing great each model ypu do should have a good 1-2 point average jump in score.
    So you're saying after 5-10 painted models, one should be getting 10's? I'm way behind here.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBeefyProductions View Post
    So you're saying after 5-10 painted models, one should be getting 10's? I'm way behind here.
    I'm with you there. I have painted close to a hundred minis and I am still years away from reaching a 10.
    .................................................. ........
    Here is a link to the stuff I have painted:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/MrJim

Here is a link to my WIP thread:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...rJim-s-ADD-WIP

Here is a link to my favorite Miniatures Website:
    http://www.competitionminis.com/
    .................................................. ........

I think BAM meant more a 0.1-0.2 jump.

Honestly I'm nowhere near expecting anything other than hopefully above a 5 for most of my stuff. It's more about connecting with the community and getting some honest opinions and feedback.
    Last edited by ArchArad; 10-24-2015 at 08:58 AM.

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Hi,

Have looked over your figures briefly and generally as people says good grasp of color and very good progress for the short time painting. Some things I would point out that I myself also have problems with is you seem to have painted some areas to a better quality and "put" less time on some places. That might not be the case but in my eyes you should to try to keep the whole figure in the same high quality.

Nurgle figure I would tried to have more color variation in shadows and highlights, I found the axe to look flat compare to some other armor pieces. The skin looks very nice and could be lifted to even higher standard with more color variation into it.

Also you can in some areas and figures push the contrast more.

Really looking forward to your future figures since I can see good progress in your skills.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Thank you Kretcher. I really do appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts.

Pushing contrasts - be it with highlights or shading - is something I battle with and am trying to work on. It may take me a while, but I'm pretty determined so hopefully I'll get there.

I know exactly what you mean by some areas not matching the "quality" of the rest of the paintjob. It's something I'll be keeping in mind going forward.

Thank you again!

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

YYes 2/10th of a point sorry forgot the decimal.lol

That's fine - I'm getting used to deciphering BAM.

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Some nice work there, I have a tree Im working on with similar colours too! Great step up with the chaos lord I like him a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Canny View Post
    Some nice work there, I have a tree Im working on with similar colours too! Great step up with the chaos lord I like him a lot.
    Thank you Canny. I had so much fun painting the treeman - he's a great sculpt. I appreciate you taking a look and I'm glad you see some improvement.

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ArchArad View Post
    That's fine - I'm getting used to deciphering BAM.
    Now that is a true talent! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    Don't get discouraged by the "snipers". Some of the folks out there purposely vote other peoples stuff too low, just to try to make their own stuff seem better somehow. (it's some sort of ego thing I think). Many pieces that I would vote a 7, 8, or even 9 on,.. they'll peg at 4 or a 5. They're usually just being a bunch of ass-hats. Try to take note of the fact that these same people are the ones who ~never~ leave any sort of message saying what about your work they didn't like and/or why they voted it so low. If they at least critiqued your technique, or said the base was too plain, or that they voted low because the photo was to fuzzy,..etc,.. you could perhaps learn from it,.. but instead, they just "snipe" from the shadows.

Oh..."Snipers", a good nickname, I think I found the reason why some of my stuffs always get low score...
    But I want to know whether I've got improved or not.
    This is my gallery
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/codenamezero

Really thx for your votes&comments!

And this is my WIP
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...410-Zero-s-WIP

Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    Oh..."Snipers", a good nickname, I think I found the reason why some of my stuffs always get low score...
    But I want to know whether I've got improved or not.
    I don't personally have any experience of this for which I am grateful. I honestly don't mind someone scoring a mini of mine low - I'd just like to know why.

I'm not aiming at everyone giving me high scores - it'd just be nice to know how my work is being perceived and if there's any feedback on it.

Sorry to hear you've had this hassle codenamezero.

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery