Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Default SaintToad's WIP

Hello and thanks for visiting my WIP. I've decided to start one, mostly for selfish reasons...
    First, I'm amazed at the generous, consistent, and supportive feedback I often see in the WIP threads of others here on CMON. I don't know anyone in my area who can help me improve my painting, and all of what I've learned from others has come from the online community, here and elsewhere. Greedy for more, I'm starting this WIP. Second, I suspect that I'll be more dedicated in my efforts to develop and complete my projects if I have others investing their own time in my progress! So you see, it's all very selfish on my part.
    In all seriousness, though, I'd welcome any feedback you have on my work. I enjoy painting a lot, and I enjoy it more the better I paint. Anything I can learn that will help me improve is appreciated. If you enjoy following my efforts or learn something you can apply in your own work, I'll be very happy for that, as well.
    In short, welcome and thanks.

- Saint Toad

Here are some shots of a mini I've recently finished. It's Handsome Hennig from Red Box.

Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 1841
Size:  150.9 KB
    Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 1837
Size:  141.9 KB
    Name:  image3.JPG
Views: 1847
Size:  153.8 KB
    Last edited by SaintToad; 10-10-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Here's Hennig as he nears completion.
    Name:  image4.JPG
Views: 1851
Size:  142.8 KB
    Name:  image5.JPG
Size:  140.4 KB
    Name:  image6.JPG
Views: 1843
Size:  147.4 KB
    Name:  image7.JPG
Views: 1852
Size:  141.1 KB

looked at your gallery. Your painting is pretty precise.
    First step for improving would be pushing the contrast some more (stronger highlights, deeper shadows). One good way is to convert the wips to greyscale and look at them. Here is the one on your best scoring picture:
    Name:  GreyscaleAdventurer.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  62.6 KB
    As you see even though you used different colors it looks very similar.

Second would be some work on the transitions (mostly I base this on the evil priest figure. The green OSL? is too separate from the figure)

edit: on the WIP figure.
    - Here the contrast is better, but some transitions could be smoothed with one or two glaze of the middle tone.
    - The beard could use one more highlight imho. Not everywhere just on one or two of the most prominent strands.
    - you'd need some small reddish brown glazes on the face to make the shadows stronger and the face more alive. (of course after that some points would have to be retouched with the highest highlight as the glaze darkens it)
    - and an idea that I'd not necessary do, but could be fun to try: one more shadow but with a mix of the current shadow color + a bit of a complementer color (so red + dark green on most of the cloak)
    - and a second fun idea as it's a dwarf: some glazes of red + skin color on the nose.
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 10-10-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Default Base for Hennig

My first application of enamels... I like the streaking effects I achieved on the ruined statue far more than the ground.
Views: 1839
Size:  151.8 KB
    I wanted it to look like a wet northern forest, not a swamp.
Views: 1927
Size:  149.0 KB
    The mushrooms are more or less entirely 'painted' with pigments.
    Last edited by SaintToad; 10-10-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks, MAXXxxx! I am certainly trying to improve the contrast in my painting, and the greyscale images definitely reveal the uniformity of my work at this point...
    Last edited by SaintToad; 10-10-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Default Finished Hennig

Here's Hennig with his buddy Bjorti (another RBG dwarf).
Views: 1923
Size:  153.3 KB
    Hmmm... Still something missing...
Views: 1904
Size:  103.8 KB
    Tiny as it is, the snail's still a big bopper. Fantasy!
Views: 1893
Size:  153.8 KB
Views: 1841
Size:  107.8 KB
    That's it for Hennig. I certainly feel that he could be improved, but I'm happy with the results I got and the things I learned. Hopefully with your help I can make my next project better still.

I'll try to figure out how to take some decent pictures and load this latest project up to my gallery.

MAXXxxx, thanks again for the advice.
    As I'm applying glazes, is it easier/more effective to glaze periodically throughout the shading/highlighting process or wait until the full range of values is established? I'm trying to make better use of the technique (I was pleased with the results of some goblin skin, but threw the mini into Simple Green when I felt that I had gobbed up the eyes beyond fixing...), but it- like a lot of mini painting techniques- are new to me.

Here's another Red Box figure I've recently started. His name's Havrik the Master Guildsman, and he's not a dwarf.
Size:  136.8 KB
    I've only just begun to work on him, so I'm looking forward to applying your feedback as I paint him.
    I really have no idea what sort of a base I'll build for him, so if you have suggestions do let me know.

The main problem I see with your painting is that you look to be painting your base coats then hi lighting them by lightening them with the same colour probably white or a light grey . Try to differentiate your hilights by lightening with a friend colour of the base coat OR....darkening the shadows with a different darker shade. Try with Havrik darkening the cloak with a glaze of blue or purple into the darker areas ,don't wash the whole figure with one colour ,what's that greenly wash on his pants for ,?it makes it look washed out and dirty.
    Proud owner of a Teronus TMM original.
    Carpe Diem Carpe Nocturne

I got a little time to work on my gnome. Just did the eyes and started to build up some shading on the skin tone using blue glazes and some red. I still have a lot of work to do.
    The pants won't look like that. I was blocking in some colors to plan him out, but the color wasn't what I wanted and will be changed later.
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1791
Size:  115.9 KB

Hi SaintToad. Welcome to the WIPs - it's been a fabulous experience for me and I hope we can help make it one for you as well.

Great job on Havrik's eyes. It's The part of the face that still gives me the most heart attacks when I start a new mini! I agree with Terrafirma's advice on using different, but related, colours to create your shadows and highlights - in my brief experience it leads to a more vibrant finished product.

MAXXxxx had also given some great advice on pushing the contrasts. I'm pretty new to this hobby and I still battle with this. Hopefully we'll both get there!
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Thanks, TerraFirma and Arch Arad, for your comments & advice. I put a few more glazes on the skin of Havrik this morning, pushing the shadows into a darker olive and reinforcing some of the red mid tones. It's slow going at this point, so the difference isn't that dramatic.
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 1743
Size:  126.9 KB

I got some pictures of Hennig today. Right now they're Jpegs on my computer. Can I load multiple jpegs onto my CMON gallery or do I need to create a single collage using the crappy free collage-maker I have?
Views: 1776
Size:  125.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you want them under one entry here on CMON (which in my opinion is the better idea than having three or four separate ones for each angle) then you'll have to collage them. You could use GIMP (free image software that is similar to photoshop in intent) to create your collage if you'd prefer. There should be a few online image manipulation programs/sites than can help as well.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Here's a diorama of an ancient Roman city street that I'm working on.
Views: 1726
Size:  177.9 KB
    The fountain is made from the head of a Reaper philosopher from their Chronoscope line, I think. Whatever it is, he's now a fountain. The bricks are from Juweela.
Views: 1784
Size:  134.3 KB
    The penny gives you an idea of the overall size of the project.
Views: 1712
Size:  202.7 KB
    This is a 28mm roman civilian. I have a number of civilian figures (and cats!) to add when the structures are finished.
Views: 1693
Size:  140.4 KB
    Name:  image5.JPG
Views: 1691
Size:  213.0 KB
    This project has been stalled for a few weeks, so maybe I'll have to work on it now that I've put it online...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SaintToad; 10-13-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Deepened the colors on the skin of my RBG gnome, and also tried to make the darkest shadows darker. I've got the shadows blue to dark green, with red for the midtown of the flesh. Any help on how to make that blue/red transition smoother?
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 1625
Size:  109.5 KB

I got some time to work on painting tonight and started on the pants & shirt of my gnome. I tried to achieve some texture on those surfaces. I'd appreciate any help or feedback.
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 1577
Size:  115.6 KB

How did you paint that skin!? Looks great

Glad you like it, Squiggle! The skin took a while (and I'm not sure I'm completely finished), mostly because whatever I did for the last week or so looked terrible.

I was trying to exaggerate the color transitions (blue/green>>red>>very pale flesh) and the contrasts using glazes that would preserve some of the 'glow' from the colors underneath as I built up toward the lightest tones. So even though the cheeks are fairly light, they still look rosy. Likewise, the chin is highlighted up, but still retains a blue cast. Or at least that's what I'm hoping for!

Now comes a critical moment for me... I like the way that the vest looks, but I recognize that I've really only run the 'highlights' up into a midtone (using MAXXxxx's greyscale trick reveals that, while the total figure covers a decent range of light & dark, the individual surfaces could use more variation). I admit that I'm worried I'll ruin the look when I push it higher! Still, I feel that I've already learned a good deal from the work on this figure, and I'm willing to run the risk of disappointment in the attempt to set the bar a bit higher for myself.

Thanks for taking a look!
    Last edited by SaintToad; 10-21-2015 at 10:18 PM.