SaintToad's WIP - Page 100
Page 100 of 102 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2033

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Cool work StToad! Love the pale green complexion. Did you glaze the eyes and lips?

There is an HP Lovecraft Historical Society close to me here in Burbank. Is that the one you mean?
    How come you are a member there?!

Def looks like the master of cosmic horror!!

Awesome - cool to see you do some bust sculpting! Looks great and you've captured the essence of the individual/thematics of his work nicely.

How did you find the experience?......keen to do some more? What material did you use?

It's still on my list of stuff to work on, just cant seem to find the time.

Must be good to see somehting come to fruition so quickly as well.

Thanks for all your kind words, guys. So nice to get that support!

g0rb, I would say I painted the eyes & lips, then on the lips I glazed back over in the sickly greenish skin tone. I did glaze the same red in the cheeks, nose, and ears. I kept a very limited palette, as I wanted it to look more like a pulpy cartoon with limited range. And yes, I assume the HPLHS near you is mine. We have members all over the world. It’s an awesome group/company run by nice & creative people. I’ve translated some Latin for their ‘Dark Adventure Radio Theater’ series.

Hairster, it was a real blast. Like you said, it felt gratifying to go from zero to completion in just a handful of days (though I do have to paint some eyebrows still!). I’m going to do some more, I think. It should help me get a little more excited about painting, since I’ve been pretty indifferent toward my stack of metal/plastic/resin of late. Plus those are skills I’d like to keep developing. I used a mix of Original & Firm Sculpey. I find that the Original (and Super Sculpey, which I actually prefer) isn’t stiff enough to really sculpt without the Firm, which is far too hard & friable on its own.
    Last edited by SaintToad; 12-02-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Ok, now... with eyebrows! Here’s my finished Lovecraft bust if you’d like to vote or comment.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/443530

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Thanks for all your kind words, guys. So nice to get that support!

g0rb, I would say I painted the eyes & lips, then on the lips I glazed back over in the sickly greenish skin tone. I did glaze the same red in the cheeks, nose, and ears. I kept a very limited palette, as I wanted it to look more like a pulpy cartoon with limited range. And yes, I assume the HPLHS near you is mine. We have members all over the world. It’s an awesome group/company run by nice & creative people. I’ve translated some Latin for their ‘Dark Adventure Radio Theater’ series.

Hairster, it was a real blast. Like you said, it felt gratifying to go from zero to completion in just a handful of days (though I do have to paint some eyebrows still!). I’m going to do some more, I think. It should help me get a little more excited about painting, since I’ve been pretty indifferent toward my stack of metal/plastic/resin of late. Plus those are skills I’d like to keep developing. I used a mix of Original & Firm Sculpey. I find that the Original (and Super Sculpey, which I actually prefer) isn’t stiff enough to really sculpt without the Firm, which is far too hard & friable on its own.
    Interesting to know....assume thats why alot of sculptors will do a 50/50 fimo supersculpey mix as well. Good to hear it's got you inspired!

Thanks to everyone who voted on Lovecraft. Unless you’re the one voting 2s. No thanks to you!

Here’s a start on another project:

Name:  317FA564-1D06-4CCC-9803-EB0C9E17AD34.jpeg
Views: 139
Size:  109.7 KB

I’ll see if you can guess who it will become.

Nice job on this one Rhett! Super cool how it turned out. I love the feel of the piece and the palette, I think you nailed it. The fact that’s its your own sculpt makes it that much cooler. Very excited to see the next one take form. I’ll call him Frank?

[...]And yes, I assume the HPLHS near you is mine. We have members all over the world. It’s an awesome group/company run by nice & creative people. I’ve translated some Latin for their ‘Dark Adventure Radio Theater’ series.
    Great, we always drive past the HPLHS on the way to Griffith Park with the kids. One of these days I'm going to stop and introduce them all to the wonderful world of Lovecraft . Who needs Disney?

Been adding to the Frankenstein bust when I get a few minutes. Even though it’s a caricature, I wish I hadn’t made the forehead quite so huge, and I wish I had lengthened the nose. Otherwise I’m fairly happy with it. I’m hoping it will bring things together a bit when I add some hair.
    Name:  7F4A452A-8FE6-49A7-A8C4-35A56F99CFAD.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  55.9 KBName:  40DA1742-6F4C-4CFD-8F53-770DEC8B4C1E.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  61.6 KB

From my point of view it looks perfect; I think you've captured the iconic version of the monster very nicely.

Frankie babes- looks like “to serve man!!! Lololol to serve Frankie.

I like it. I think the exaggerated forehead is actual good looking and it will look really nice once you paint it up

Really nice stuff in this thread. You have a great attention to details. I especially like all the work you made about basing and your painting job is also well done. There is an artistic touch in your work that I find inspiring. Your recent sculpture work looks impressive, that's something that make me lose my mind when i try to play with that kind of thing (noob spotted haha).

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Kallfa, thanks for your very thoughtful and positive words. It means a lot to me to read them. I’m very glad to have you around.

Sorry, busy, blahblahblah. I started a little diorama of an ancient Roman tavern. Not sure if I’ll include figures or not. All the models I’ve got would be very hard to remove from their molded bases, and really hard/impossible to pin. The building is in three pieces here, just resting in place. Everything’s covered in drying glue to firm it all up. The scene sits upon a 4” square base. If you’ve been following my thread a while, you might remember when I did a similar project. It’s an assignment I give my Latin students which I occasionally complete myself.

Name:  4987269D-CE51-4AE9-A65C-A2D344072BDF.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  113.0 KB

Good start on the tavern Toad. I also like where you are going with the Frankie monster.

That tavern looks really cool, to lazy to go to Toad Chapel right now, so what is it all made of asthe front looks almost like quartz, or is that just from the drying glue on foam?

What’s up, fellows! KB, nice to see you around. Hope everything’s going great with you & your little one.
    Eki, I assume what you’re talking about is just styrofoam with glue on it. I did not carve it from quartz, although that would be pretty badass. All the white stuff is styrofoam.

What’s up, fellows! KB, nice to see you around. Hope everything’s going great with you & your little one.
    Eki, I assume what you’re talking about is just styrofoam with glue on it. I did not carve it from quartz, although that would be pretty badass. All the white stuff is styrofoam.
    Going well. Trying to get caught up on everyone’s threads as I am daddy daycare this week. Actually A nice change from the crazy work commitments I have been on the past six months.