SaintToad's WIP - Page 20
Page 20 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Finished! I added a mushroom, some little oak leaves floating down the stream, and a some subtle highlights on the moss.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  368.2 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Size:  369.9 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Size:  223.6 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  270.4 KB

Yessir great results on the water and the shield and the damage and weathering...because I'd he was a clean scarf running through the water it just wouldn't be as cool..lol.

I added some shots (just taken with my phone) to my gallery here and here if anyone would be care to vote or comment.
    BAM, I may be interested in learning a bit more about the show in Valley Forge you mentioned a few days ago. It's not a great time schedule-wise, but I would certainly love to attend a hobby show soon! If I can swing it, I'll be pestering you about what to bring, expect et cetera.

Voted and commented.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

That water looks cold. I love this mini diorama, but yourwip pictures show it better than the gallery pictures.

Krulebear, I know what you mean about the pictures, but the images on here are the exact same ones I put into my gallery. They're bigger and maybe cleaner on this thread, but I don't know why. I tried to make a collage of five of decent images (they're all just taken with my phone, but still), but CMoN wouldn't allow me to put it into my gallery; it didn't say it was too big or anything, the browser just churned and churned and never, even after several minutes, registered that a new image was pending approval to be displayed.

I am not too concerned, as I don't want my focus to become primarily the voting element, which, for me at least, is both a little demoralizing and a little misleading. I think that maintaining my own and following the WIPs of others on here is a more valuable experience for me as a painter. That said, I would love to know how to get those nice, big collages that most everyone else seems able to create. I don't have Photoshop and my options for creating collages on the Apple desktop I use seem limited. To say nothing of better pictures... I've asked how to do this before, and received answers, but it seems I'm missing something somewhere.

More importantly, I would really love to hear any constructive criticism on this latest project of mine. I would really like to rate well - and deserve it - and I could use a bit of direction on my current level of painting. If anyone who checks out this WIP has any feedback to give me on the actual figure, I'd really appreciate your perspective. I shall continue to feel sorry about posting inadequate pictures of the work, if that helps!

The Photogene app I use can do collages....but I have not been smart enough to get it to do what I want. I use that program to adjust size and crop for wip photos, but end up using GIMP freeware on the PC to make gallery collages. I was able to find a nice sbs online for how to do it with Gimp.

Its hard to give any criticism on this, I think it looks really good, the metals look good, the battle damaged shield looks good, water looks good, I could go on lol, point is I'm struggling to even nitpick anything with it

As for collages I have to use an app on my tablet since our PC died, it lets me either put multiple images into a collage or "stitch" images together, I don't really know how to use it other than those basic functions lol, never used an apple computer but on PC you can just create a new large blank image and cut/paste all your photos onto it, I'm guessing that's how most people do it for the gallery. I agree about the forums too, much more valuable hanging around here than posting gallery pictures, but it is handy having somewhere to show all your finished stuff

You know me. If there was something that really needed pointing out on your splashy dwarf I'd let you know. I think he's great.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Bit of progress on the base I constructed with the RBG thief in mind. This is more or less finished as far as painting goes. Now I'll turn to weathering, moss, lichen, flowers, that good stuff.
    Name:  Base 2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  239.6 KB
    Name:  Base 1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  260.1 KB
    ​Good luck to my European friends competing today!

Next stage:
    Name:  Base3.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  513.5 KB

This is inadvertently becoming a SBS...
    Name:  Base.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  207.4 KB
    This is the first of several applications of fine turf, but I think it makes a big difference already.

Nice sunny day helps things dry quickly:
    Name:  Base.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  237.4 KB
    On the first application, I tinted the glue with blue ink and finished with a slightly off-matte varnish to make it look as if things are a bit damp down by the stone. The second application of moss used un-tinted glue, which will make it just slightly less dark & more green.

OH STOP IT YOU! This base is looking AMAZING! I am dumb struck with how awesome that came out. The coloring of the stones, the sculpting part of it, to the moss. Two thumbs up man.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

That base looks incredible.
    Regards

David

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the encouragement. Here's another quick update:
    Name:  Base1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  306.9 KB
    The front of the building will be sort of the 'back' of the base, at least as far as the figure is concerned.
    Name:  Base2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  337.3 KB
    The weather here today is absolutely perfect, so I've been outside with a bunch of basing materials and some lazy cats enjoying the sunshine.

Looking great so far. Nice tip about the tinted glue.

Thanks, Schwarz! I'm going to water it down anyway, so I might as well color it, too, right?
    Now the question emerges, is this the base for this figure? I could blue-up the shadows a bit more, likely. He isn't attached, so it's no trouble to build another base for the thief if that seems likely to result in a better overall project. OK, consultants, whadaya think?
    Name:  ?.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  654.0 KB

First: That base looks absolutely amazing my friend! Stellar work. *riotous applause*

Second: Yay a cat person!

Third: I'm not sure if the two go together. The base seems a bit light for a nighttime thief escapade. But that's just one opinion of many.

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

I spent the whole day out with the cats and family today. Now to end it with some painting! That base is gorgeous and suits the mini perfectly. Stellar work on this one
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo