SaintToad's WIP - Page 107
Page 107 of 111 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 2217

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

i agree with eki about the transition. but that aside I think its looking great. i like the textures you are working into the flesh tones, and contrast is good all over.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

My Instagram - where I post pictures every now and again https://www.instagram.com/coyotepaints/

Blog Entries

Ok, guys, thanks as always for the feedback. I’ve taken the advice on smoothing the transitions on the knees (and elbows). You can see the new joints here:

Name:  9D1DC754-3E15-4053-8AFC-A92F09227809.jpeg
Views: 227
Size:  101.6 KB
    Name:  9B7D1A0C-3C38-4411-8DB6-AA38EF76498D.jpeg
Views: 227
Size:  97.6 KB

I took a before & after pic with one knee smoothed and the other not, and I think you were definitely right.

Name:  0B6F385C-6986-41F9-B54C-E8A66A38C900.jpeg
Views: 230
Size:  99.2 KB

I’m stalling on the chest, as this is how I imagined it when I decided on this color scheme. I think I’m there on taking your advice, so I’ll probably have it done soon.
    Keep the criticism coming. You’ve already helped!

Looks gorgeous! I like the variations of colors you putted on his head too. It make him looks a little drunk, which tends to match his pose (for me anyway).
    I already see him in a taverne, wanting to start a fight, and being held back by one of his comrad by his ax.

Blog Entries

Ok, I took the plunge. Looks like there’s still a spot or two to smooth out but I have blended over the hard division between blue & yellow. I’d say yeah, I like the change. Thanks for your feedback.

Name:  05134B91-E69B-41DF-BC7F-18AAD5571BB1.jpeg
Views: 201
Size:  97.9 KB

Now that Dex said he looks drunk I can’t un-picture it!! He totally has a sloshed vibe and I love it. And originally I kind of liked the lack of transition on the chest but I’m liking the subtlety of how you’ve done it. Also I think the knees look better, glad we could all be of help. Only thing I’m thinking now is the difference of saturation in the face vs his other pinkish parts looks off to me as well. Maybe add *just a touch* of that more saturated pink/purple color to some of the areas on the knees and elbows. But very little, just enough to unify it but to still keep his face looking “flushed”. This guy is gonna look great when finished!

looks better for the smoothing for sure. nice work
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

My Instagram - where I post pictures every now and again https://www.instagram.com/coyotepaints/

I love it!
    @Sik, sorry to have engraved this picture in you head.

Muchuch better on this end !!! Well played!!!

I might be tempted to give it a very thin wash of terradon blue or other aqua style paint. It should help tie the blue and yellow together even more.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. I agree it looks better.

Andy, do you mean the whole model, just the margin of the blue & yellow, or just the yellow?

As you have a desaturated yellow and blue if you wash the whole mini apart from bits that aren’t yellow or blue obviously then it’s tying it together as blue and yellow make green. I wouldn’t use a harsh green hence the aqua and I would be sure to use a very diluted wash as if it’s not to your taste it won’t ruin your work. If it is then when it’s dried you can always add another layer. Less is more.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Blog Entries

Ok Andy, you know I trust you, because I nearly hyperventilated as I started glazing in this bright aqua (I think it was P3 Meridian Blue) over all my beautiful dots! I’m glad I listened, though. I think things are smoother and everything seems less saturated, which I like. This was two passes of glazing.

Name:  86A7CD54-7192-4BC1-BCBA-DB493CBBBDF7.jpeg
Views: 136
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  DA8B724C-D758-403F-B7A5-F0AD55CC64F6.jpeg
Views: 136
Size:  97.5 KB

You might see I’ve done most of the stuff around his waste. I still have to do all the strings holding up the bric-a-brac. My main goal was to avoid detracting from the torso & face. It was a challenge to treat everything with a very similar color palette. I could have made it easier by darkening the cloth, but I had an idea. What I found on P&P was mostly people treating the strange little nubbins as metal, but that didn’t square with my conception of the character. Plus I thought they looked kind of dumb that way. Let me know what you think.

Really looks like you have been pushing yourself on this Toad, theres some lovely subtle work here in the skin tones and excellent work on the Axe, I'm also pleased you took the plunge with Andy's sage advice, it has definitely bound the various skin elements together with an underlying tone.

Any plans for the basing on this yet?

Looks great man! Really great improvement in your skills!
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

yep, looks great.
    And I'm happy that you made the pink parts more subtle, they were very harsh on the face before (and not every ogre-ish creature has to be constantly drunk )
    Forgot, that it works again.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the kind words. Hairster, I have been pushing myself, but have kept things fun at the same time. I end up reminding myself of things g0rb has said about not getting too attached to what we’ve done, and trusting the advice of others, and just trying new things. I’m happy with the process even more than the result.
    Here are a couple of shots of the ‘finished’ mini. In fact, I’ve already touched up a few spots on the back. What I mean though is that I’ll take a break while I work on the base and hopefully come back with fresh eyes. Of course I’m still open to your feedback.
    As you can see I glazed a good bit of purple in to the shaded back side. That was on the advice of my main man BaM, whose perspective I always seek when I’m trying to improve.

Name:  76DDD103-AE15-4E9D-9BF8-97A1D5C2A077.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  43FB78CB-686A-4AE7-995B-491A771D7057.jpeg
Views: 95
Size:  105.3 KB

Speaking of basing, I made this before I started painting Maulg
    Name:  2A18BD68-9282-493C-BF0A-4549D13EA651.jpeg
Views: 95
Size:  139.0 KB

It was going to be a forest base with what I think is a cool little narrative element. My main concern is that a very green base wouldn’t highlight the figure as much as people generally desire. I intend little pops of color what will accent Maulg, but I’m not sure... perhaps I’ll just make it and see how it looks.

Great texture and blending on the skin mate
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot, 10. He’s been a challenge and a joy to paint.
    Here’s the base I’m working on.

Name:  F9D91D3F-6FC5-4A05-8F1E-2617F4B14E3E.jpeg
Views: 56
Size:  104.0 KB

I love bases & basing, but I do not, as a rule, care for big bases. I like things tight and packed with details.

Name:  2DAF67F4-1032-4655-87EA-AFA2F28908BE.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  117.2 KB

Awesome work St Toad, love the base and the figure, well done!