SaintToad's WIP - Page 69
Page 69 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1968

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

great work Toad . The textures on the guy with brown gambeson looks great. Keep it up!

Thanks a bunch, guys. Hairster, the transformer is currently paused, though it has received some more attention in the last few weeks. I've been making/prototyping terrain stuff, and I'll probably try to paint it all together for efficiency. My father-in-law has purchased a Badger Patriot, so... I'm looking to take advantage of that! We are talking about building a permanent/portable airbrush hood, too. Conveniently, he's coming over today (to celebrate the 10th anniversary of my marriage to his daughter, the love of my life!), so we can plan this stuff out some more. The transformer itself will need a bit more work before it's 'done', but not much. Some elements of the transformer are designed to be expanded later (like, there's a room which will feature a portal, and which is modular and can be swapped out for another environment (still connected to the house itself) when the portal is opened), so it doesn't really need to be complete, and much of it can be designed & created separately from the rest. Considering how long it sometimes takes to make a simple box for a building, I cannot believe I did the bulk of that work in about a day and a half.
    BAM, I really enjoy Red Box minis for a lot of reasons, and I've found Trey Manor to be a real nice guy when I've emailed him. His minis fit exactly what I want to be doing with this potentially large group of figures. I just ordered a pretty big batch of new ones, along with some Hasslefrees (who conveniently sell both).
    RottenFactory, could you maybe show me a picture of what you use as an armature for a standard 28mm humanoid sculpture? Just curious... Also, thanks for the word 'gambeson'! I will be painting more of them, so now I know what to call them.
    Here is my current desk:

Name:  20170610_095120.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  346.7 KB

You can see Slambo has arrived, although I have not yet tried to clean him up. I don't understand why they would use so many points of injection (?) if the resulting product is so badly warped anyway. And the way in which the pieces are split seems... I'm neither a caster of figures nor a historian of GW's products, but I can see why people would avoid this strange product. It's also very flexible for some reason. The closer 10 and Andy get to finishing theirs, the less likely I'm going to get started any time soon! Ugh.
    You can also see I've framed another building, this one with texture sheets. Using Evergreen I also made some windows (which I'm not that happy with) and a door, which I cast into a mold. I intend to make enough buildings etc. that I cannot be individually fabricating every window, door, and doodad in our rpg universe! I tried it with Sculpey, which predictably failed, but I'll give it a try with plaster after I've grilled some lunch. For a first effort with moldmaking, I'm pleased.

Slambo was a challenge to prep but you sould persevere mate its a great mini.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    Slambo was a challenge to prep but you sould persevere mate its a great mini.
    ok, ok...

Here's a new figure I started:

Name:  Dwarf Wanderer.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  349.1 KB

Welcome to the universal hatred of failcrap aka failcast NOw fall to your knees and strike the typical movie pose as you scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! to the skies o_O
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Zab llllloooooollllll absolutely well done modeling and scenery toadie.

Lot of fun with this guy. He's got tons of cool little items strapped to his body.

Name:  20170611_122630.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  237.8 KBName:  20170611_122646.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  221.6 KB

The beard is looking spot on. Watch that green it could go wrong.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Default Rooster Warrior

Thanks, Andy. I am happy with the green right where it is. I may put another highlight on it, but I'll use grey, bone, or cream if I do. I might leave it like it is, though. There's a secret lurking in that green color, which I'll show you at some point!
    For my cowardly bopper, the shield freehand design I had intended for a couple of weeks was, as I told a friend, a "stupid rooster". I wanted it to be clearly stylized, but not to look like a minor league sports logo! I'm pretty happy with it, really! Next I need to weather it; might do a bit of practice before I commit a to weathering method on the Rooster Warrior! You can also see the dwarf's fancy striped bedding beside him.

Name:  11VI.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  367.7 KBName:  20170611_160138.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  403.0 KB

Oops! Forgot this bit on the face:

Name:  dfdfnsgdn.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  350.4 KB
    Last edited by SaintToad; 06-11-2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Fixed rooster's face

excellent work on the shield mate both the idea and execution.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks a bunch, 10. I just saw your Slambo update, so I'll proudly take compliments from you today! He is just a lovely little bugger!

Anyway, I decided to keep the actual rooster head pretty clean, mostly so my Aunt Helen could enjoy it (she likes roosters but her old eyes are not the greatest). So I tried to sort of trick you into thinking that the shield is a good deal more beaten & weathered than it is. Feedback always welcome!
    Name:  20170611_165330.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  412.9 KB

It just means he really likes the rooster image on his shield, and after each battle touches it up so it always looks new Great job on the model!

Quote Originally Posted by Guawol View Post
    It just means he really likes the rooster image on his shield, and after each battle touches it up so it always looks new Great job on the model!
    As well he should, it's an excellent rooster. Most people would struggle to paint one that well on a full sized shield.

I never comment on your thread as much as I should Toad. Everything's excellent, particularly like the scenery work.
    Good luck flexing Slambo into shape!

Donezo, I think. If anyone can give me any tips on getting a convincing metallic look on something as tiny as his belt buckle, I'm all ears!

Name:  done.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  314.7 KB

[just noticed the little patch on his right knee... not done yet after all!]
    Last edited by SaintToad; 06-14-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Not Donezo!

Love the beard on the dwarf, I think the green clothing helps the beard. The Rooster Warrior is epic.

lOVE THE SHIELD, LOTS OF CHARACTER! ups sorry for caps...
    That dwarf is nice also, I like the "shine" on his beard.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

All hail the stupid rooster! Looking great.

Default Origins?

Thanks for all your remarks, gang. It's been crazy finishing off the school year so I haven't gotten anything done in a few days.

So I have some hopeful questions someone may be able to answer. I literally just confirmed plans to go to Origins in Columbus tomorrow, where they have a painting contest, apparently. It seems like a bit of an afterthought to the gaming convention, but why not enter, right? I've never been to Origins or a painting contest, and the information on their event guide is minimal. So...
    1) When is judging?
    I'm rolling out Saturday night, so I can't leave my minis til Sunday (unless I somehow can do that, too). If I could pick up my items Saturday night, though, I could enter something.
    2) It says prizes are awarded from the companies. Does that mean I have to submit pieces from those companies or can I show whatever I feel like?
    3) How many pieces can I enter? And what is a unit for their purposes?

If you have any other advice or information that might be useful, let er rip. I'm fairly comfortable muddling my way through the process.

Most of the best stuff I've done is not posted on my gallery, so if you've seen it and have any advice on what I might want to bring, I'll take that, too!

That shield is really nice, the whole figure is great honestly.

After googling it, I can't find any info on a painting competition at Origins, so yeah probably was an afterthought. Wish I could help you out here, but I can't.