SaintToad's WIP - Page 101
Page 101 of 103 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2049

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Nice, yeah, I hear you. I just started my two week break and am looking forward to lots of time with my daughter. We went for a nice hike yesterday and it’s supposed to hit the high forties again today, so we’ll be out in one of our favorite parks looking for mushrooms and cool stuff like that. As you say, though challenging in its own right, it’s a welcome change from ‘actual’ work.

Your new project looks promising SaintToad, I like how it looks realistic. You even thought to add a pedestrian crossing!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Eki, I assume what you’re talking about is just styrofoam with glue on it. I did not carve it from quartz, although that would be pretty badass. All the white stuff is styrofoam.
    Kind of what I figured when you said it was all all just covered in drying glue, but that gouges in the left side of the building (looking at it from the monitor) and the glossiness of the glue make it kind of look like a piece of quartz on my screen

Love it allllll-ped crossing might work there !!! Some lovely time with the littlen !!! And hey you need some YouTime mate. I never met a guy more immersed in his job than my brother but man you are tied for that !!!! Take some time enjoy your break after holidays I’ll have a Christmas tutorial for you .

After plenty of building I’ve finally got some paint on the stone portions of my Roman tavern. The cobblestones are a little sloppy, but then it’s just sort of a demo project. I’ve reached the fun portion and I’m enjoying slapping washes on the street and giving the marble countertop an iridescent sheen. I’ll be adding some nubbins to the interior of the shop, then sealing it up. There will be at least two characters in the scene, who will hopefully tell a funny little story.
    Name:  34A067CE-C555-448D-B95F-1DBD81A61949.jpeg
Views: 198
Size:  158.3 KB

I’ll be finishing up my little diorama soon. This little urchin is pilfering some plums. The barkeeper (who is already painted) will be out in the street screaming at someone.

Name:  F492463A-9CA6-49A5-9D69-787BAFEEC7FA.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  915.2 KB
    Last edited by SaintToad; 12-26-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Man I love it!! The story behind it especially, awesome composition bro. Got it done quick too it looks like! Hope you had an awesome holiday bud, can’t wait to see it finished!

Great little scene you created here! I really like that building facade

This guy’s saying “hey, dummy, you should head over to ToadChapel and check out some more pics of this amazing diorama!”

Name:  17767A07-0FC8-4C81-AE34-E77827FEB510.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  117.1 KB

What began as an architectural diorama now has 5 figures with another on the way. I’m having fun, though.

Name:  227B8F60-36DA-46A7-9393-E420719D2FC0.jpeg
Views: 166
Size:  112.0 KB

what happened to the "I don't think I am even going to put any figures on this" Figures look good with the dio though so keep it up! Only one that seems off is the one withe the hat as it doesn't say ancient Roman to me. And why is the owner of that shop out in the street letting that kid steal his wares.

Awesome work on this SaintToad! Lots of character, and lots of characters!
    The building and surrounds are very well done, I love the roof tiles and the cobble stones.
    The graffiti is a nice touch too

Thanks, fellows. Eki, your old history teacher would be proud! The guy with the hat (petasos) is identifiable by his clothing (a himation worn over a chiton) and beard as a Greek! The point I’m making for my students there is that Rome in the age of Augustus was a cosmopolitan place with visitors and inhabitants from all across the Empire. By the way, her hair and the gear of the legionary I’m painting help set the timeframe.
    Gorb, the graffiti include two names (‘Faustina’ & ‘Secundus’, which are cut short by the sodden from of the scene) and a funny face of Caesar with a big nose. The caricature is inspired by a bit of graffiti found on a wall in Pompeii.
    Last edited by SaintToad; 12-29-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Here you are, another installment of this ever growing project.

Name:  A1BB4107-16D3-4769-9DA7-19D6F0E3FBBB.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  141.1 KB

I’ve added a legionary standing around looking useless as this unfortunate citizen suffers some minor injustice. Actually, the soldier’s checking out the senator’s wife sidewise! I’ve also put pigment powders on the old turds and gloss varnish on the fresh ones. Did you catch those the first time? Watch out, buddy, you almost stepped right in it! You can see a broken cup on the sidewalk, which I’ll decorate with wine once the glue is dry. I’ll say it again: I think I’ll finish this up soon, but I’m having so much fun you never know!

Figure count is up to eight. Tight squeeze to give them all plausible positions and (in some cases) vectors, but I’m happy with how this is turning out.

Name:  CD827166-2D9C-4F67-B9B6-F90E393ACD2C.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  119.5 KB

I have, of course, been adding more detailed updates with more & better pictures to ToadChapel, for anyone who’s interested.

What a great scene! I love the characters and the interaction in the scene.

tee

Ok, final figure added. I need to stick in a few more scenic details, resist the urge to touch up too much, finish off the base, and call it done. There are now nine figures in the diorama, which I’ll complete in under two weeks. Certainly my fastest pace ever!
    Name:  FACF478A-03FA-4BD0-8978-E282EFA91EC4.jpeg
Views: 136
Size:  147.7 KB

A few of you seem interested in my now completed Roman diorama, so head over here for pictures of all the details and some reflections on the creation of my tavern scene.
    Last edited by SaintToad; 01-02-2020 at 03:11 PM.

This is pure awesomeness StToad!

I am a huge Asterix fan, this resonates with me