SaintToad's WIP - Page 106
Page 106 of 122 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2422

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Really cool Axe!

Subscribing to this thread to see the progress on the Troll :-)

Blog Entries

Cheers, dhdiez, welcome aboard.
    Here is a bit of progress on the skin of the blue bruiser. Lots more to be done, but I’m finally seeing the emergence of what I had planned. It’s hard to see after I’ve seized the image, but the chest & belly are done with stippling.
    Name:  1FFBE89B-E40C-4A1E-8770-3E93F7C59DA0.jpeg
Views: 187
Size:  108.3 KB

Blog Entries

As you will know of you’ve followed my WIP over the years, I’ve struggled a lot with taking even halfway decent photos of my minis. This isn’t a big deal most of the time, but when I’ve put a lot of effort into producing something I’m proud of, I’d like to be able to share images that are representative of the piece. I’m trying to improve my photography and took some shots this morning I think are better than my norm. If you have any feedback, I’d love to hear it.
    Name:  1D61EF4D-184B-471E-BF03-1D7DB082240E.jpeg
Views: 185
Size:  68.7 KB

The image is blurry here because I’ve realized it for CMoN. If you want to see a better image and a couple of other shots, visit my nascent Putty & Paint account, where I’ve just updated my project. I can’t tell you why the color is washed out on the angled shots, as the lighting was the same.
    I’m shooting into a very small lightbox with a powerful LED lamp on each side of the figure. To tone down the lamps I have FOUR pieces of opaque printer paper over the bulbs. I’m using my iPhone 11 as a camera. I always seem to have trouble with glaring, harsh light that attacks the tones of the painting. HeLp!
    Last edited by SaintToad; 04-11-2020 at 09:51 AM.

From what I have been told by professional miniature painters, that their main job is box art (they "just" sell the photographs, so painting the mini is important but making good photos is also as important). Is that it is better to use a simple backgound and at least three study lamps (like the ones IKEA sell) rather than a lightbox. Of course it will take more space...

Thanks for the instruction/color list
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

I really like the texture on the troll's chest, it definitively add some character to it!
    And good luck ont he photo side, I know the struggle to well. Having achieve a piece you're proud of and not managing to take a decent photo of it (I mainly speack for me here, not saying your photos are bad ), is a real pain in the @$$.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. In spite of my frustrations with photography, I’ve put my ‘Random Encounter’ up on P&P. He took best in category (Single Figure, Journeyman) at NOVA last year. Here’s the link if you want to check him out.
    By the way, if you wonder why I don’t put anything on CMoN any more, the recent discussion in BaM’s thread pretty much sums it up.

I feel you Rhett . We keep pushing and keep looking at the better and more amazing sides to the hobby. I fitunatoy there are a few ugly things as well.hang tough- stay well!!!

Blog Entries

Lots more time spent on this fellow, though progress is slow. I’m starting to work in the red/pink zones on the elbows, knees, nipples, and scars. Having fun with this and breaking it up into lots of smaller sessions. My current schedule permits and an hour or two here or there throughout the day most days, which has helped to keep the project fresh, I think.
    Name:  85157552-BA0E-4AC1-A772-524FCF3042D7.jpeg
Views: 129
Size:  93.7 KB
    Name:  81D876F8-38C3-400B-989B-04DA5E9FD152.jpeg
Size:  98.7 KB
    Name:  A1357569-6E11-42CC-A085-68429C91C793.jpeg
Size:  101.8 KB

Looking really nice, love the tones on the Axe, handle and head.

WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

Blog Entries

I finally undertook a long overdue cleaning and reorganization of my hobby space. Ah! It feels bigger, lighter, and so much less claustrophobic. I’ve deliberately left space for things that I want handy, where before nearly the entire desk was jammed with things that almost never (or just never) saw any use. Now my only job is to keep it organized!

Name:  F5BD60BC-E711-4C7A-9D66-BFBE7D72C67E.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  136.7 KB

I am so jealous when i see the work spaces of people on cmon especially the people over in the States you have so much space and so much useful stuff! No word of a lie i used to have to paint and store my minis in the toilet!! Go on ask ten ball ask Skelletets they saw it its true!! I still only have a tiny literally 1 m square space and my kids are encroaching on that!!

Sulking

Jealous!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

OMG i just noticed you even have a rug!! Luxury!! If I had a painting table to flip it would be flipped now!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Nice, I still have to get my area set up properly

Blog Entries

Haha, sorry to laugh at your plight, Andy, but that was hilarious. I guess when you worked from the toilette and got frustrated with a mini you could just give em the old sea burial.
    Anyway, here’s some progress on big blue. Feedback and criticism is most welcome.

Name:  BBC0AF0B-B299-442C-B217-1E5ECE210E0B.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  80.4 KB

Good work is starting with an organized desk. Good job on this!
    And nice progress on your current project, too ;-)

I love how you managed to add texture to the skin, works really well.
    Though the transitions between the blues and yellow/pink parts looks a little to abrupt to me (except on the face).
    Seeing a well organize and clean desk like yours make me want to clean mine, even if I know it would only last for a couple of days...

Looking great bud, textures fit very well with this mini. I have to admit I'm with Dex on the skin transitions on the knees they seem a little too harsh. Love the face though

I think it is looking really good, but something seems off to me and I think it is the lack of transition between the chest color and the blue, especially there on the front left side (right on the picture).