SaintToad's WIP - Page 97
Page 97 of 99 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 1965

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

My Gitz are following with excitement your mushroom project!
    Nice preview and start off

No doubt those Gitz are hoping to assault my peaceful little scene in search of psychedelic mushrumps.
    Here’s a bit of vegetation done. This is sort of an experiment, so some of this may get changed or covered up as we go along. I’m of two minds when it comes to laser cut paper plants. They add height and create interesting little pockets, but they don’t actually fool the eye, I think. I sure don’t feel like I’m great at painting them, but they always look a bit off to me anyway. Love to hear your thoughts on how they can be used/painted effectively or what alternatives are worth a try. Anywho, here you go.

Name:  8DE26015-BE8C-411C-9D45-B196C23AA570.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  89.3 KB
    Name:  66444E32-5C85-449E-8631-3EF2035BF384.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  93.8 KB
    Name:  22B6649D-AA46-45E3-AF08-7873BADA79C9.jpeg
Views: 172
Size:  149.4 KB

Ready for a mushroom hunt. Obviously this is just a start. I’m planning to do a bunch more.
    Name:  265EF98C-3296-4246-AF36-888F7DD89FE4.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  100.3 KB
    I’m waiting for some leaf punches from Green Stuff World so I can experiment with some leaf-based fake leafs. That should be fun. I may not have much room for leaves by the time they get here, though.

love the way that base is shaping up! Kind of agree the laser cut leaves look at little, eh, maybe if you put a few together to make it look like a bush, fern with layers instead of just one randomly placed about it would look a little better, something more like this (although not as many as in the picture) and maybe a bit lighter green/yellow on them
    Name:  15-fern-trail.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  363.2 KB

the base is looking nice. lots of colours in there keeping it looking interesting
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Experimentation continues. I’ve tried to add some leaf mould. I’m not entirely satisfied with it, but that’s ok. This is a learning piece and I’m going to try some new ideas & techniques out. I’ll cover a lot of it up with more newly-fallen leaves once my punches arrive from England, which should hopefully improve the look.
    Name:  354A6888-3E3C-4382-BDD9-4159024A2CAD.jpeg
Views: 158
Size:  117.9 KBName:  CA63DB61-3477-4687-BBFC-1DE398A52F35.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  117.9 KB
    Last edited by SaintToad; 09-15-2019 at 10:47 PM.

This looks great St Toad! I love the mushrooms and the mossy bark, plus the dried leaves on the floor complete the picture.

I'm not 100% sold on the green fern leaves. Are they the laser cut leaves you were talking about?
    They seem to lack the conviction that the other elements all have...

Yeah, g0rb, the fern-looking things are the laser cut leaves. I had some actual fake ferns somewhere, but I guess I used them all. They seemed to look a lot better, but still maybe a bit lifeless. I'm not sure what the best option is, but I think I might explore some other ideas. Let me know if you have any. Some of the very best scene makers don't use laser cut leaves or any alternative. So for instance HonourGuard, whom I regard as a real master of scene making, simply doesn't have that sort of vegetation in his idiom, so far as I can tell. I wish he did so I could pinch his technique. I'll keep looking.

Hey sir,

Likin the forest base a lot! I would recommend brass etched ferns. Those work the best for me because they can be bent into different shapes, and look real nice when painted. I got some from Hasslefree Miniatures some time ago... I checked their website, and they still have a good selection...if they're ever in stock *facepalm*
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

I actually love the ferns he’s got- I think it looks much more realistic. I say if it’s not broke why fix it- toads the master of bases!!! That boy can go for a walk in the Amazon with his baby strapped to his chest -come home and reproduce it exactly as he saw it!!!

I think the base is looking great. I actually thought the ferns were plastic. I’ve heard good things about brass etch also, that is if you can find them, want to shell out for them, and do t break them. Weren’t you in that composition class with me at Nova w DiPietro? Why not try making some of your own stuff out of the rolling papers and primer like he said? Use small gauge wire for stems. Those seem to look great. I know it’s labor intensive but seems to yield a good product with a lot of control over the final look. I think he used the pink zap a gap glue to firm it up if I recall so you’d be able to brush paint it also.

also let me know when you get your package I sent you. Should have come today. And how those leaf punches work, I’ve been eyeing on myself

I have one of the leaf punches from PK Pro and they work really well, not sure about the GSW ones, but should be similar. Really like the leaf scatter on the base, makes it more natural looking

Thanks for the feedback, support, and good ideas, gentlemen.
    Lost, good to see you man, I’m eager to watch your latest project develop. Definitely looking cool. I’ve always wanted to try some etched brass, but I can’t ever get them in stock. I’ll keep looking.
    BaM, you’re freaking hilarious man. But still... I would definitely strap my daughter to my chest before marching off into the Amazon!
    Will, I got an email from Matt today. I asked him about some of the gel mediums he mentioned and some other stuff. And yeah, rolling papers are on my list of things to try. I walked into the Uni-Mart with (you guessed it) my baby on my chest and asked for rolling papers... I got a few odd looks, you can be certain! I got your package today, man. Thanks again so very much for that. Totally made my day!
    Eki, I’m pumped for the punches to arrive. I have a bunch of fallen leaves drying in old 40k books for when they do.
    Nice to hear from you all. Hope everyone’s doing something fun tonight!

Here's what the PK Pro ones look like (sorry didn't have leaves, so just a piece of post it note punched out) but I tried it on leaves before and it worked really well.
    Name:  20190916_215022.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  26.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sik Willy View Post
    ...Why not try making some of your own stuff out of the rolling papers and primer like he said? Use small gauge wire for stems. Those seem to look great. I know it’s labor intensive but seems to yield a good product with a lot of control over the final look. I think he used the pink zap a gap glue to firm it up if I recall so you’d be able to brush paint it also...
    Now this is what I like: experimentation and scratchbuilding.
    I would love to hear more about diy plants with wire and rolling papers.

I decided to wrap up the previous scene and move on to the next. These are good little quick projects I can use to practice, experiment, and have fun while still making something that’s pretty cool.
    Name:  6AF2AB0D-C34C-4C33-883E-C2432DE2509B.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  95.7 KB
    Here’s the next one. I’d say this one is more fantasy oriented, based upon the somewhat implausible positions of the rocks. It almost looks like the remains of a wall or something.
    Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Commenting on your mushroom piece.
    Wonderful work on the ground. The combination of wood, grass, dirt, leaves... makes me feel like a snapshot taken in the forest around the corner of my house :-)

If you don't want to buy rolling paper with your baby strapped to you, I saw one of Miniacs recent vids and he was making the leaves out of coffee filters. Just flattened them out and basically used some washes to stain all over it (random pattern) and then punched out the leaves. Since the filters are so thin they color all the way through so no having to paint the edges or anything

Question, what are you using to build up the base layer on your base? Is that just miliput or greenstuff or are you using something else?
    Last edited by ekipage; 09-21-2019 at 10:41 PM.

I'm loving these little scenes, they look great! The last one is so simple looking, I think it looks very natural.

Finished this tiny scene off quickly. I was mostly interested in trying out an idea for lichen and continuing to work on an effective means to replicate leaf litter on the forest floor. These were good experiments, but there’s a lot more to learn & discover.

Name:  BB82DEE1-E869-4D88-923E-CD416374554F.jpeg
Views: 79
Size:  107.2 KB

If you’re interested in checking out some more shots you can find a few on ye Olde ToadChapel Website.