SaintToad's WIP - Page 33
Page 33 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Redid OSL on helmet, did hair on two guys, used clear yellow to pull out the boils on the flamer (might tone them down a touch), you can see the wood on the flamer tank, did some details on the flamer itself. I believe have only the two decapitated heads and the ornamental hand hanging from the flamer, plus three tiny little flies that are on the flamer, before the painting, I think, is finished!
    Name:  26VI.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  285.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Very sharp metals toad...I like them a lot ,it seems you taken my perspective on dirty metal and made your own recipe which kicks ass I will add!!!
    Yes, despite the dramatic differences, I did actually use your recent metal recipe as a starting point. Thanks, bud!

Quote Originally Posted by Teronus View Post
    I photoshoped your green eyes to show you what was missing for a convincing OSL effect.

It was missing a "light source" so I added a light green and then white dot in the center of the eyes to help with the effect.

Before

Attachment 50164

After

Attachment 50165
    Thanks, I did bump up the maximum light level within the glass.

Rotting heads!!! Er, 'blight grenades'. Whatever, they're gross. I'm planning some blood effects on the severed parts.
    Name:  Heads!.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  152.5 KB

Hi Saint,

Looking really good so far. One can realy see that the armour has seen a war of two; which I think is great. Newly, fresh armour is so boring I feel. These tell a story and so if should be.

Maybe with some sating or gloss varnish (maybe mixed with some clear yellow and/or green?) you could make some slime for the severed heads, like it's comming out their mouths or even the eyes. Just a thought though.

Keep up the great work,

Gino(2dope)

Looking great Toad, have real sense of corrosion to them. Love the detail on those severed heads too.

look forward to seeing these finished and based. Great looking unit

Great job on the painting and detail work.

Thanks a bunch, guys! I'm really trying to power through on these guys, and I think (though I find something else every time I say this...) the figures are done, and I can move onto the base.
    Here's a shot of the severed heads with Tamiya clear red & VMC black (hard to see the bottoms, where most of the goop is, but you can see the rivulets of gore!):
    Name:  Blood.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  201.2 KB
    Here are the 'eggs' hatching from Knifey McKnifeface (AKA David Attenborough), which are micro beads embedded in Vallejo Still Water tinted with red ink. I used to fish for steelhead a lot, and the look of these eggs sort of came out of that experience!
    Name:  Eggs.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  127.1 KB
    And here are the tiny flies. My Android phone cannot capture the effect, but they are painted black, then the bodies are done in dark purple (the same shade which is buried all over these models, actually) mixed with iridescent medium, then highlighted with olive green & iridescent medium. The ir. medium is... awesome. I gotta say, they're my favorite part of these guys, and they look super cool.
    Name:  Flies.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  124.4 KB

You went super fast on these group Saint!
    I really like the armour job, all those little lines really added a nice degree of detail and sharpness. I also like the details you added, making each individual sort of special.
    Those orange bubbles on the last guy made me think of that kind of sushi that has fish eggs on it.... LOL

And the freehanded nurgle orange sign is ace!! but I find the number seven on the other shoulder pad is even better, great placement of light and shadow (in fact I do not know if it's sculpted or painted) xD
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Lol. You should add the netting and that would look exactly like the steelhead fishing roe sacks I am familiar with. Absolutely disgusting modification.

Btw the additional white on the eyes really sold the osl on the marines face.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    You went super fast on these group Saint!
    And the freehanded nurgle orange sign is ace!! but I find the number seven on the other shoulder pad is even better, great placement of light and shadow (in fact I do not know if it's sculpted or painted) xD

The secret to my speed has been... be off of work and paint for like 6-12 hours a day. It's been a blast!
    Thanks for the nice remarks. The '7' is actually gently hammered into the plastic with a letter punch, then painted. I wasn't sure it was going to work, but it turned out great! Glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Lol. You should add the netting and that would look exactly like the steelhead fishing roe sacks I am familiar with. Absolutely disgusting modification.
    You know the ones! My brother and I used to fish in Lake Erie (Pennsylvania, New York, and Ohio) all the time when we were students. Been a few years, sadly.

I'm lovin' the models man! I would not go to the scenes quite yet...... The rust is still not doing it for me. Your phone may not be able to pick it up, but it appears that the rust is one solid color. It quite honestly looks like more of a maroon than the multilayered umber, burnt sienna and red that my old screwdrivers have become plagued with. I know that it is ultimately your choice, as they are your models, but it is not convincing rust. Really needs more variation in color. Just my personal taste.
    Last edited by Size000Hero; 06-27-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Bases done! sorry for the crappy pics, but you can grasp the idea. I experimented a lot, then finally settled on fairly grey stones and reddish soil, over which I laid rich purplish brown pigments (Secret Weapon Violet) and raw sienna over that.
    Hero, in order to gratify you I did add in a touch more color on the upper levels of the rust. They're done.
    Name:  Bases.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  228.7 KB
    I guess now I've got to get some decent pictures for the old gallery. I HATE trying to photograph my figures adequately!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SaintToad; 06-28-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: better picture

Here are some shots of my favorite details from the squad. The dirt is nowhere near that yellow- I tried the light outside for photos, but it seems worse, if anything. Anyway, here you go:
    Name:  Seal & Head.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  466.8 KB Name:  Eggs.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  397.9 KB
    A heretical seal and severed head and the torso harboring eggs of god-knows-what.
    Name:  Full Kit.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  340.9 KB Name:  Earring Head.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  357.8 KB
    A full kit of gear and the little nurgle mark and the other severed head, complete with gold earring.
    Name:  Severed Hand.jpg
Size:  357.7 KB Name:  Marine Helmet.jpg
Size:  418.8 KB
    A severed hand worn as a decoration on the flamer (perhaps you can also see the lighter and the scorched metal on the barrel) and a trashed old yellow beaky helmet half-buried in the dirt.
    Last edited by SaintToad; 06-28-2016 at 04:55 PM.

You know, those ugly boys look like they could use a champion to lead them...
    Name:  Champ Conversion.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  439.7 KB
    There will be more conversion work before painting, but I am extremely happy with this start. I'm glad, too, because it is pretty disheartening to look at a headless, mangled $20 piece of plastic junk and seriously doubt your ability to put it back together again! Right now, I'm thinking about dropping a bunch of wires down from his open chest armor, more components to the backpack, a ton of weapons & gear, etc. If you have any ideas, now's the time to share them.
    This WFB Lord of Plagues >>> 40k Terminator was, of course, inspired by these amazing chop-ups! There is simply SO MUCH inspirationally good work to look at on this site. It's a great resource.
    Last edited by SaintToad; 06-29-2016 at 12:09 AM.

I'm glad to see you're having fun playing with the jolly disgustingness that is Nurgle. I found them to be surprisingly satisfying to work on - something about the cheerful/comic style of the sculpts appeals to me and one gets to have so much fun with the corruption and decay! Just please take an extra dose of vitamin C for me - many seem to be afflicted by ailments when tackling such subjects.

I've seen some gorgeous conversion work - not least from the genius Sproket - and it looks like a ton of fun to experiment with. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on how this guy is going.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Nice to hear from you, Arch! I've found Nurgle to be a very enjoyable challenge so far. Conversions have been the same enjoyable challenge x2!

Well, here they are!

dude that last one conversion looks awesome!

Yep, this last conversion is my favorite. Love the combination of the fantasy and 40k bits to get something really unique.

Yesss I agree with khavor and skel!! It looks great! Now to the paint pots!
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Thanks to everyone who already voted, and especially those who commented. I love to read what you think!
    Here's the next, small but significant modification to close up the large gap on the champ. Also, a shot of the back. I decided against adding a bunch of wargear, as I simply couldn't find a way to hand a combi-bolter that I liked. Instead, I'm going to build a little servo-drone to mount on the base which will do his shooting for him, so he can focus upon chopping people up with his power axe. Hopefully I'll get started on building that tonight, as well as painting the main figure!
    Name:  Champ Conversion.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  193.7 KB Name:  Ch.Back.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  202.2 KB