SaintToad's WIP - Page 37
Page 37 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Voted!

On the airbrush, I am complete noob, but I decided to take a Harder&Steenback Evolution 2 in 1 with a 0.2 and a 0.4 needle and a 2ml/5 ml. gravity vase, from one part, and a Chinese compressor for the other.
    I decided to invest on a rather medium or high quality airbrush, because long time ago I had a cheapo CHAVES airbrush that was really difficult to clean and mount up (compared to the one I have now) and it (the difficulty of use) completely throws me off airbrushing on my teens.

The compressor (an AS196) is silent enough for not having headaches. But not enough to turn it on at night, since it then sounds like a sneezing dinosaur....
    You will need a hose to connect the airbrush to the compressor, teflon tape, and a superuseful pot for holding and cleaning the airbrush.

I will recommend also a good air-mask, with good interchangeable filters. You can delay it's bough but you should have one, I do not want my lungs to be colourful.... Mine is similar to this model: https://www.airgas.com/p/3MR52P71

@Demihuman has a nice tuto on his blog on cleaning an airbrush if I don't recall badly... but you also have a LOT of good aribrush advice on Massive vodoo: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com.es....html#painting Look in that section for Airbrush

And be patient! the first day I used it I spent more time adjusting air pressure, paint thickness and cleaning airbrush clogs than airbrushing (hint if you will get two needles try first the bigger, it's a little easier to use) xD xD
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Voted and commented. Very nice work.
    Miniature painting takes a little brush and a lot of patience.
    My fledgeling WIP
    My Gallery

I really dig the marine Toad, parts are a bit rough, but I can tell you eventually found your groove with the damage. The chips on the backpack look especially nice. You've got to paint his eye lenses though!! XD

Thanks, guys.
    Maenas, that's very useful information. I'll definitely look at MV's site- I think I've probably picked up more from Jarhead than from any other single source. And I'll see if I can track down Demi's tutorial, as well. Thanks!
    Khavor, you've got a great eye! I've always really admired the 'cracked ceramite' look, which I associate with painters like Artur and Camelson, and this was the model I really tried to imitate it for the first time. The initial stabs were sort of crappy looking (I hid a smudge under the left arm, which is probably where the ugliest cracks are, luckily fairly hard to find on the model)- it's not quite as easy as it looks! Obviously, the incredible control of the highlights & shadows on the cracked bits isn't up to the level of those (and other) masters, but I'll keep trying. And yes, after I posted him I remembered about the eye lenses... busted!

Finished a figure today (old mini, base started this morning). 1.5" plinth.
    Name:  18VIIa.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  115.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Couple of shots of the construction, in case anyone's interested:
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  170.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  80.8 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  76.4 KB

Wow saint that bridge is freakin blowing my mind right now. How did you do the rope parts of it?
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    Wow saint that bridge is freakin blowing my mind right now. How did you do the rope parts of it?
    I agree. A very cool base.

Damn fine work..A-gain .

I was going to ask the same thing about the bridge, looks epic, is it some kind of wire used for the ropes?

Very nice base. I'll add my voice to the "how did you do the rope work". Are you planning on adding water effects under the bridge?

Thanks, guys! Captain, I'm not planning to add water effects. The original concept was more of a Bridge of Death sort of thing. Lately I've been into doing very abrupt cut offs on the main surface of the base. I know I borrowed the idea from somewhere, though I can't remember where.

The idea of using string in this way sort of came from here, though Roman's not doing anything exactly structural with it. So many good ideas start by just going through Massive Voodoo's old tutorials! Here's an explanation of what I did for those who asked for it. I imagine the wrapped wire thing could come in handy in a lot of places.
    The four larger horizontal ropes are wire, around which I wrapped embroidery thread (thanks, dear, if you notice the theft). I recommend you wrap if before affixing by supergluing a double length of thread and then just spinning it like a spindle. It's pretty easy to get it uniform, though I wanted it to be a little more irregular, which is also easy to do. I would suggest you periodically fix your progress with a tiny spot of glue so things don't become messy.
    I glued the bottom two supports on and then glued in the boards, which were cut from a sheet of cheap veneer. Veneer is very thin and strong, though I imagine you could use some plastic or something if you're comfortable just painting the wood grain. Underneath the inmost board I put in a long piece of thread. Once the boards were fixed, I just sort of sewed them in to create the criss-cross pattern (which I picked up from reference pics via Google search). I did use a needle for this, which helped a bunch.
    Then I added the top ropes, one side at a time. I knotted in a piece between each board and then simply wrapped & glued it on the top. Everything then got a coat of superglue, applied with a toothpick, to harden it and make it paintable. This is the one part of the process I got from MV which I need to troubleshoot. Superglue, while it dries nice and hard, really obscures the form of what it coats. Even applying it with a toothpick it just leaves artifacts and bleeds a little. Thus, though the unpainted picture looks like it's got nice sharp 'x' patterns on the board connections, they're actually not that precisely formed and were a real pain to paint. The glue also forms little dams at the bottom which prevent any colors from getting up underneath them. I might try thinned wood glue or something else next time. Ideas are certainly welcome!

The bridge is quite sturdy. I was able to bend it carefully after it was put together (which was necessary to hold the ropes on the 'good' side of the bridge taut while the glue dried). It will hold a figure easily, and I have visions of using this wrapped wire support on some terrain some time (though I will not do the knot work!).
    It took a long time and some parts were what people call 'fiddly' (though I made good progress throughout the construction), but I had fun. One silly tip from MV which I definitely recommend is to hold the death metal and listen to something calming- danke, ambient krautrock! Also, I found a forceps very helpful; being able to lock the jaws and dangle it to create tension basically added a third hand when I needed it, plus I was able to get into areas where my human-sized fingers could never go.

Sorry for the text wall, hopefully the process is clear. If you're confused or I seem to have forgotten anything, I'll happily explain it. Thanks again for the nice words!

Thanks for the write up saint, but find death metal to be the most calming music in my collection

VERY impressed with the rope bridge mate, I will be 'borrowing' that idea in the future
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Great bridge and thanks for going into detail on how you did it... and that's just a mini wall of text, not too bad.

Love the bridge, very inventive and the detail is perfect.

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys. I'm glad I could share what I learned.

Does anyone have an idea for what can I make to display the unit I made a few weeks ago? I have six total models, and I'd like something that looks cool but will also hold and, ideally, help transport them safely. I've never made a unit, so I don't really know where to start.

I've placed the RBG thief into my gallery.
    OK, so I'm still working on the photography... but look at that incredible collage*!

*Thanks again, Schwartz-Brot!

Your attention to detail on the bridge is impressive and definitely tells a story... I imagine the guy sloggin through some jungle on his way to some Aztec ruin. I will be using this idea from you as well . Your WIP is like AMPM... too much good stuff lol!! Great job!
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Using foam or and making indentations with a base and the carving or cutting them out.viola the models pop right into the socket. Usually about a quarter in thickness of foam core should do it..however if you've seen mine from my crystal brush award winning units I have a friend who drills out the exact size holes into pvc piping plastic or wood...either item though can only be made by a very expensive press drill is what he uses btw you'll also need woodworking experience as well. Khavor who has won more awards than myself would know more about the foam core.hes your best bet.