SaintToad's WIP - Page 105
Page 105 of 109 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2179

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Blog Entries

Thanks so much, guys. I’m very happy with how it came out. Pretty much how I had hoped.
    Bullfrog, I don’t think I’ll be offering tutorials just yet. One decent axe head doesn’t give me the courage to tell others how they should do it! But hey, if I can dial in a method that produces good results and people are interested, I’m always eager to add good material to ToadChapel.
    Anywho, here’s the axe finished. I wish I had more progress to show but things took longer than expected and time has been short. Yes, it’s true I can’t leave the house, but my little toddler monster tends to take up a lot of my ‘free’ time!

Name:  DF76B7A9-EF0D-42FF-A80D-FC7C84E58877.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  89.6 KB

Great result on the metal
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Yes I agree great work on the nmm. Nice contrast and choice of tones. Also the textures add a lot of interest to the piece. You are improving sir.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot, guys. You know I respect both of your NMM styles greatly, so it’s really nice to hear.

Ok, the bad news. I sprayed Maulg with white Tamiya primer. I have never heard anything bad about Tamiya, and it certainly ain’t cheap. I was a little put off when I saw how shiny it was, but I soldiered on despite my reservations. Well, now that I’m painting the skin I have a problem where even the slightest pressure on the paint strips it clean off and down to the primer. My idea was to put a layer of matte medium or matte varnish on to give the paint something to bite into, but if someone knows a better solution from experience, I’m listening.

That axe looks awesome! Sorry to hear the Tamya is giving you issues. wish I had an answer for you.

WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

That axe is absolutely amazing.

Looks awesome bud! Wonderful job on that axe head. Top notch.

give it a good once over with a nice matter varnish, let it cure, that should do it. Sorry to hear about the primer

Blog Entries

Hey fellas, thanks for the kind words. Always much appreciated.
    Sik, I did exactly that and it seems to have helped a whole lot. Funny thing was the Tamiya was the THIRD time I primed it! First time revealed a mold line I had missed, second go round I used some sort of paint/primer junk that glopped on way too think and hid the details, and the third time was the ill-fated charm.
    Ok, so I do have enough of a sketch to show you what I’m planning with the colors.

Name:  AA25DFD8-16BF-4EB4-9540-78515B4E53B6.jpeg
Views: 100
Size:  105.9 KB

What, you thought my problems were at an end?!? Of course not. This sculpt has got little artifacts of its creation all over the place. As you can see below, there are little knife gouges or something on the inside of his arm. There are others elsewhere. It’s a little maddening. My current plan is to just paint it up as best I can, then decide whether to ignore them or, more likely, give it the old blood spatter treatment. I’ve got my Tamiya clear red ready to go!

Name:  5BBBDADF-9DC8-4611-8EA5-B236553B5D01.jpeg
Views: 98
Size:  105.5 KB

Having troubles but still having fun! Stay safe, everyone!

I like the colors you have chosen to paint this figure. Too bad about the cast of it and the issues you have been having.

Tamiya: maybe it has settled too much? The carrier/thinner in sprays tends to be glossy.

color: iiiii don't know, I like skintones to be more desaturated, but your figure, so your choice. (funny thing is, that this saturation of colors vs unsaturated is a big difference in how most painters in US/UK vs DE/FR/IT/ES paint)

what do you mean by little knife gouges? If you mean the small ident at the inner side of the elbow or the one around the middle of the forearm, they are not from the figure creation, but are supposed to be wounds to be painted a bit differently (either bloody or like a healed wound)
    Forgot, that it works again.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Eki. I just figure this one’s going to take more effort and some ingenuity. I wish it were smoother sailing but I’ll deal with the problems the best I can.
    High MAXXxxx, great to see you. Hope you’re well! I am totally with you on the desaturation. The colors will be both less vivid and paler. Believe me, I know he looks hideous now! It’s hard to see exactly what I’m talking about with the scratches. If you look right on the margin between the shadow & light you can see three tiny parallel lines that look like he was worked with a file. And there are also weird little planes that don’t look organic. There are more parallel lines on his leg and his back. I’m planning to treat them with some blood, as subtle as I can get away with, but I wish I had the option to leave him clean. Thanks for stopping by!

Right now it looks like one of my "so called finished" models :/
    Well at least it's mean I can improve if I practice glazing... maybe.

Anyway,I like the color scheme you choosed and I'm looking forward to see how it goes (no doubt astonishing).

Blog Entries

Ok, for those of you following this project, here’s a bit of an update. I toned down the skintones with grey glazes, and his right leg has received more attention and looks maybe a little more like what he’ll eventually be. Still need smoothing, highlights, some more shading, etc. Comments & criticism always welcome.
    Hope everyone’s safe & painting happily in their bunker.

Name:  1CFA0A5B-5C47-478E-92D0-34EFE71B5E88.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  100.5 KB

Hey SaintToad, you're doing good progress on your current project.
    The metal on the axe is looking great!, the skintones are coming along (maybe a bit too light on his right leg? Could depend on the picture I guess).
    Are you thinking about adding some tattoo stuff to this? Don't know why, but to me it seems like this mini is begging for some celtic runes ;-)

I like the grayish skin, pretty pale but fine.
    Do you plan to contrast the "pale" blue parts of the skin with something more saturated for the "pink" parts?

no crits from me about the skin, the right leg looks pretty good, now you only have to do it on the rest of the body.

btw the axe is weird. On the 4.4 and 4.8 photos it looks great (smooth transitions, nice light placement),
    but on the 4.6 one the edge looks great but the side looks uneven/patchy. Normally I'd say it's a texture on the metal, but then the smooth edge doesn't fit (it'd also need some textures).
    The least hassle would be some slight textures with a dark black-brown on the bottom part of the top edge.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Dang man you've gotten good!! That ax head is perfect!! Would love to learn how to paint steel like that! I know you said you aren't doing a tutorial for it, but can you share the colors you used? Also, did you use glazing to get the different tones in the grey? Great progress!!
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Blog Entries

Cheers guys, and thanks for all the feedback.
    Graishak, I’m not sure about any tattoos yet. I think I’m still feeling my way into the color scheme I’ve chosen, and I’ll assess what further details to add after that’s further along. Definitely a chance for tattoos, though.
    Dex, I don’t know what I’m doing. I mean, I do, but I’m having a hard time making it appear on the model! I’m going to make the rest of the blue skin paler, then see what looks best. I’ve been thinking a fairly desaturated yellow/khaki for the belly, because I don’t want to draw too much attention to that area. But we’ll just have to see how it comes along.
    MAXXxxx, the axe weirdness is caused by the powerful Ott lamp about a foot away from the model. I paint in a pretty dark room, so my photos are always lit with super harsh artificial light. I think I can confidently say it looks more like the good pictures!
    Lost, great to see you. Thanks for the kind words. The axe was painted entirely in grayscale, using only black, white, and mixtures of the two, then tinted with environmental colors. I took a picture of my paints in case I had to touch anything up later, so here you are:
    Name:  194FDC72-F4D2-4BCA-84A7-83A88096DB26.jpeg
Views: 56
Size:  125.3 KB
    I really liked what the orange added to the reflections. Pro tip from 10 Ball. As far as technique, I don’t really do any one thing consistently. I’d say it was a mixture of glazing, rough stippling, sort of stippling glazes, and just smooshing the paint around. But yes, definitely some glazing for the overall sky/earth tinting. Everything with the colors was done with very dilute paint, just using tap water to thin it.
    Thanks everybody for stopping by. I’ve been eavesdropping on your WIPs, but things have been pretty Zoomtastic with work around here, so I haven’t been responding as I like. Hope to remedy that soon!
    Stay well & stay connected, and keep the brushes wet!
    Last edited by SaintToad; 04-09-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Awesome work Saint Toad! That axe looks great. Love the colors you chose for the skin too.

Blog Entries

Friends, I’ve got a treat for you over on the ‘Chap. Uncle BaM has graciously agreed to share his recipe for grungy, grimy, Nurgle-tasting rust. I’ve got a few rust tutorials on ToadChapel (AndyG’s NMM rust, 10Ball’s masked rust, and g0rb’s space hulk rust of ages), and each is different. BaM’s special sauce includes some physical texturing for added funk. Head here to check out Uncle BaM’s latest article.