SaintToad's WIP - Page 23
Page 23 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

To be honest, I'm kind of waiting for BAM to show me what kind of brush he meant before I continue with the naked cultist... if anyone else knows what he means or has advice of their own, I'm all ears. I bought some larger scale figures from Figone (the arrival of which which I'm still awaiting), so I would like to gain some experience on larger sculpts before tackling one of those.
    I realized after I put it up that the pupil is too small to see. Here's a mega close-up:
    Name:  eye.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  150.0 KB

Hang tight rough couple of days...ill get on it today for you.

No problem, BAM! I knew that you could never leave a less experienced painter hang out like that. One need only light the BAMsignal, and you are there...

Actually the bat signal is cooler lol but I'm going to give you a few choices this way you can see what you like what you don't going to the studio now to get on it...(the studio=painting table in the kitchen,but studio sounded so much cooler like the bat signal.lol

This is a flathead brush its this brush I used that lead me to the perfect flathead from GW their base pat brush its smaller than this large one but has the same flat head function. Now these stew 2 GW brushes the one on the left I just spoke about now the one on the right is their "wash brush" but I ca use it just like the flat head basecoats brush (for edge highlight or blending/ layering large areas yielding a smoother cleaner blend application.) I can do this by just "fanning out or flattening" the tip as you see here
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Any brush that is the scale these two are in relation to my hand can work. The brushes are larger but function remains the same.ill be taking questions now ?

Thanks a bunch, BAM. Does GW have numbers (or names) for the sizes of the 'flat base' and 'shade' brushes (those are the two you're talking about that you currently use, right?) that you like for larger work? I already use some citadel base coat brushes on your recommendation.
    Which brings me to this:
    Name:  26 IV.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  156.2 KB
    I'm trying to push the light/dark contrast as far as I am able. Any feedback (blending ok? contrast still not extreme enough? color ideas?) from my global network of painting friends would be appreciated. I still need to add color glazes, but I'm hoping the results of these efforts to push contrast look promising, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post

Darth, the photography tip about eliminating background distractions seems to be helping a ton. There's no way that's my best work, but it's currently scoring better than anything else I've done.
    My hubris has been punished. He's dropped like a stone since I said that! Well, at least he's getting votes!

He looks tiny! The contrast looks good to me although perhaps push the shading end of it further on the bottom half of the mini, the blending looks good so far too

Sicks, I tried to re-establish the midtones throughout, but especially down low (left leg, especially), which hopefully help to sort the light issues you're seeing.
    I also tried to do the cloth around his waist, which I'm not sure about...
    Name:  27.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  170.2 KB

Wasn't happy with the loin cloth, so I repainted it. Worked reds into the hands, feet, cheeks, and nose. Painted tongue & teeth inside the mouth. Also found a shoulder of skin that I had missed (behind the shield), so that was nice. Hopefully get into the fox fur tomorrow or soon after.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  171.1 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  164.1 KB
    And yeah, as a few of you have noted, he's really small. Went a bit cross-eyed as I tried to find the depth on those upper teeth!

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond - I've been struck down by the flu.

Short flu-addled opinion: The pushed contrast on this little guy works really well. Redoing the loincloth was a great call. I like the browns and reds you've worked into the skin as well. I'll refrain from commenting on any of the other areas as I'm sure you're not yet done with them.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Glad you're well enough to check in, Arch. Don't look at anything nurgle-related... plague risk and all that. I'm glad you approve of the efforts at heightening the contrast on this guy. He's so small, there isn't much room for transitions! I'm also glad I redid the loincloth, as it was looking way too pink.
    Went out to dinner tonight, so only a short time was spent painting, but I did make a little progress on the pokey gobbo. This is a mega-zoom shot, so you'll spot every gaffe! If anyone has a good technique for tackling such fine fur at such a ridiculously small scale, I'd love to hear it. I'm pleased enough with what I've got here, but not crazy about it. Spent a while flirting with it using a 10-0 brush to try to pick out individual hairs...
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  384.3 KB

Looking fierce man, tiny models can be a nightmare especially if your a stickler for blends. Your doing great with it though, the colours are turning out nice with the orc hide (colour changes in the knees and hands). And lest my eyes deceive me, is that pointillism you used on the cloth, texture looks really nice.

Thanks a lot, Flunk! Absolutely love your work. Yeah, I initially tried to do more of a 'thread' look with horizontal lines on the cloth, but I simply could not achieve the effect at the scale, so I switched it over to pointillism to get a more effective textile look.
    Here's a little update. I redid the fox fur, moved the lips over to more of a purple look, and did the metals (which will also get more weathering). I'm nearly there, I think. Feedback & criticism most welcome!
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  183.9 KB

Nice Toad, keep hacking, take shiet load of practice to get where you want in mini painting, a real puzzle.

Thanks, Tero, my man. I have a lot of great inspiration around here to help clarify where I'd like to be at any given moment!
    Here's (I think) everything painted on the goblin. For whatever reason, these little guys take a while and don't come easy for me. I'm fairly happy, but I'll have a look tomorrow with less tired eyes (it's 2:30 in the morning here) and see what I've missed. Unless you all beat me to it. I think I may run some pigments onto a few places to add some hints of color and increase the look of the weathering.
    As always, thanks for checking in. I always love to hear from you guys!
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  183.8 KB
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  197.9 KB
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  166.5 KB

One of your best